Most Natural Pantry Essentials

124

Replies

  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Picking whole grain pasta more often remains a superior choice.

    LOL …still does not address as to why a whole grain noodle is cleaner than a regular noodle..

    so people who eat whole grain noodles are superior to those that do not???? Interesting...

    Because whole grain pasta has a lower GI which, in turn, does not cause your insulin to spike as high as white pasta (and flour) would.

    Whole wheat bread spikes insulin to the same degree as white wheat bread.

  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Popcorn! How could I have forgotten popcorn? The Bulk Barn has an extra fluffy popcorn kernel that puffs up pleasingly. It seems to have fewer tough bits that get stuck in the teeth.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    So, I want to hear what are your most natural food essentials in your pantry....I know most of my foods will have a home in my fridge...

    Food kept in a fridge is by definition not natural - if most of your food is fridged anyway, what's the rationale for cleaning out your pantry?

    So you're saying that the food that I grew and picked from my garden and then put in the refrigerator isn't natural?

    Interesting.

    If you're going to keep it around long enough that it needs refrigeration - yes, it's no longer natural by the time you get to eating it.

    Still not getting how my tomato that I just picked from the garden some how changes to not being natural because I had to put it in the fridge.

    Tomatoes in particular shouldn't be refrigerated, as it kills the taste.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    My pantry is stocked with a bunch of no frills basic stuff. Not out of any sort of clean vs processed thinking, but because it's a simple way to save money and control sodium.

    Goes something like this:

    No salt added canned tomatoes
    Brown rice
    dried black beans
    dried chickpeas
    dehydrated fruit (I love it in my oatmeal)
    Oats
    Brown rice pasta (fiber content is why I choose it)
    Bread flour
    A buttload of quest bars
    Protein powder
    Jerky

    As others mentioned above stocking up on minimally processed foods is counter intuitive, but it never hurts to have some versatile basics around.

    Making use of your freezer is smart as well.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    edited December 2014
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    So, I want to hear what are your most natural food essentials in your pantry....I know most of my foods will have a home in my fridge...

    Food kept in a fridge is by definition not natural - if most of your food is fridged anyway, what's the rationale for cleaning out your pantry?

    So you're saying that the food that I grew and picked from my garden and then put in the refrigerator isn't natural?

    Interesting.

    If you're going to keep it around long enough that it needs refrigeration - yes, it's no longer natural by the time you get to eating it.

    Still not getting how my tomato that I just picked from the garden some how changes to not being natural because I had to put it in the fridge.

    Tomatoes in particular shouldn't be refrigerated, as it kills the taste.

    That was just an example for further explanation as to why it suddenly becomes unnatural if I put it in the fridge. Sheesh. :p
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    So, I want to hear what are your most natural food essentials in your pantry....I know most of my foods will have a home in my fridge...

    Food kept in a fridge is by definition not natural - if most of your food is fridged anyway, what's the rationale for cleaning out your pantry?

    So you're saying that the food that I grew and picked from my garden and then put in the refrigerator isn't natural?

    Interesting.

    If you're going to keep it around long enough that it needs refrigeration - yes, it's no longer natural by the time you get to eating it.

    Still not getting how my tomato that I just picked from the garden some how changes to not being natural because I had to put it in the fridge.

    Tomatoes in particular shouldn't be refrigerated, as it kills the taste.

    That was just an example. Sheesh. :p

    A rather telling one...

  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    At the risk of returning back to the point of the thread :wink: Theres a website called Worlds Healthiest Foods http://www.whfoods.com/ I love this website, it has detailed information on the vitamin/mineral breakdown (amongst other things like clinical trials linked to food as medicine) of these foods and how they help to keep your body in a state of good health. Im sure everyone in this thread could get something from this site evn if it is only a recipe.

  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    So, I want to hear what are your most natural food essentials in your pantry....I know most of my foods will have a home in my fridge...

    Food kept in a fridge is by definition not natural - if most of your food is fridged anyway, what's the rationale for cleaning out your pantry?

    So you're saying that the food that I grew and picked from my garden and then put in the refrigerator isn't natural?

    Interesting.

    If you're going to keep it around long enough that it needs refrigeration - yes, it's no longer natural by the time you get to eating it.

    Still not getting how my tomato that I just picked from the garden some how changes to not being natural because I had to put it in the fridge.

    Tomatoes in particular shouldn't be refrigerated, as it kills the taste.

    That was just an example. Sheesh. :p

    A rather telling one...

    So again, why does putting my tomato in the fridge suddenly make it become not natural?
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    mfp2014mfp wrote: »
    At the risk of returning back to the point of the thread :wink: Theres a website called Worlds Healthiest Foods http://www.whfoods.com/ I love this website, it has detailed information on the vitamin/mineral breakdown (amongst other things like clinical trials linked to food as medicine) of these foods and how they help to keep your body in a state of good health. Im sure everyone in this thread could get something from this site evn if it is only a recipe.

    You're right about everyone getting something...
    It sure gave me a headache (and almost a seizure).
    It's like Geocities rose from the dead.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,267 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Picking whole grain pasta more often remains a superior choice.

    LOL …still does not address as to why a whole grain noodle is cleaner than a regular noodle..

    so people who eat whole grain noodles are superior to those that do not???? Interesting...

    Among all the discussions of and misuses of the word trolling, here's an example of actual trolling.

    not sure how it is trolling when I ask a question four times and never get an answer…
    I didn't say it was skilled trolling.
    And you didn't ask that "question" (which wasn't a question, btw) four times. You posted "so people who eat whole grain noodles are superior to those that do not???? Interesting..." once. pretty obvious trolling.

    one again you fail to read the whole thread…not surprising given your previous responses.

    the question was - why are whole wheat noodles cleaner than regular noodles?

    I eagerly await your response.

    I read the whole thread. And I read your TROLLING.

    You were told why they were "superior" and you were told why they were better for you.
    Asked and answered.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,145 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Picking whole grain pasta more often remains a superior choice.

    LOL …still does not address as to why a whole grain noodle is cleaner than a regular noodle..

    so people who eat whole grain noodles are superior to those that do not???? Interesting...

    Because whole grain pasta has a lower GI which, in turn, does not cause your insulin to spike as high as white pasta (and flour) would. White flour spikes your insulin higher than a candy bar.
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Picking whole grain pasta more often remains a superior choice.

    LOL …still does not address as to why a whole grain noodle is cleaner than a regular noodle..

    so people who eat whole grain noodles are superior to those that do not???? Interesting...

    Because whole grain pasta has a lower GI which, in turn, does not cause your insulin to spike as high as white pasta (and flour) would. White flour spikes your insulin higher than a candy bar.
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Picking whole grain pasta more often remains a superior choice.

    LOL …still does not address as to why a whole grain noodle is cleaner than a regular noodle..

    so people who eat whole grain noodles are superior to those that do not???? Interesting...

    Because whole grain pasta has a lower GI which, in turn, does not cause your insulin to spike as high as white pasta (and flour) would. White flour spikes your insulin higher than a candy bar.

    so is protein unclean then, because, you know, insulin spikes..???
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited December 2014
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    So, I want to hear what are your most natural food essentials in your pantry....I know most of my foods will have a home in my fridge...

    Food kept in a fridge is by definition not natural - if most of your food is fridged anyway, what's the rationale for cleaning out your pantry?

    So you're saying that the food that I grew and picked from my garden and then put in the refrigerator isn't natural?

    Interesting.

    If you're going to keep it around long enough that it needs refrigeration - yes, it's no longer natural by the time you get to eating it.

    Still not getting how my tomato that I just picked from the garden some how changes to not being natural because I had to put it in the fridge.

    Tomatoes in particular shouldn't be refrigerated, as it kills the taste.

    That was just an example. Sheesh. :p

    A rather telling one...

    So again, why does putting my tomato in the fridge suddenly make it become not natural?

    Refrigeration is a chemical process - refrigerating a tomato changes its biochemistry.

    Which should be obvious, given the taste profile of the damned thing changes so dramatically...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,145 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Picking whole grain pasta more often remains a superior choice.

    LOL …still does not address as to why a whole grain noodle is cleaner than a regular noodle..

    so people who eat whole grain noodles are superior to those that do not???? Interesting...

    Among all the discussions of and misuses of the word trolling, here's an example of actual trolling.

    not sure how it is trolling when I ask a question four times and never get an answer…
    I didn't say it was skilled trolling.
    And you didn't ask that "question" (which wasn't a question, btw) four times. You posted "so people who eat whole grain noodles are superior to those that do not???? Interesting..." once. pretty obvious trolling.

    one again you fail to read the whole thread…not surprising given your previous responses.

    the question was - why are whole wheat noodles cleaner than regular noodles?

    I eagerly await your response.

    I read the whole thread. And I read your TROLLING.

    You were told why they were "superior" and you were told why they were better for you.
    Asked and answered.

    for someone who claims to be reading, you have still epically failed to even address the question ..

    the food superiority comment was SARCASM ….but way to pick up on it...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,267 Member
    edited December 2014
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Picking whole grain pasta more often remains a superior choice.

    LOL …still does not address as to why a whole grain noodle is cleaner than a regular noodle..

    so people who eat whole grain noodles are superior to those that do not???? Interesting...

    Because whole grain pasta has a lower GI which, in turn, does not cause your insulin to spike as high as white pasta (and flour) would. White flour spikes your insulin higher than a candy bar.
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Picking whole grain pasta more often remains a superior choice.

    LOL …still does not address as to why a whole grain noodle is cleaner than a regular noodle..

    so people who eat whole grain noodles are superior to those that do not???? Interesting...

    Because whole grain pasta has a lower GI which, in turn, does not cause your insulin to spike as high as white pasta (and flour) would. White flour spikes your insulin higher than a candy bar.
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Picking whole grain pasta more often remains a superior choice.

    LOL …still does not address as to why a whole grain noodle is cleaner than a regular noodle..

    so people who eat whole grain noodles are superior to those that do not???? Interesting...

    Because whole grain pasta has a lower GI which, in turn, does not cause your insulin to spike as high as white pasta (and flour) would. White flour spikes your insulin higher than a candy bar.

    so is protein unclean then, because, you know, insulin spikes..???
    TROLL
    In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[4]

    Can we have that ignore button back yet?
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    kgeyser wrote: »
    This argument has gone round and round so many times on the forums that people aren't necessarily trying to be rude when they ask what she means, just getting clarification so we don't end up with another thread with OP yelling at everyone's suggestions and posting blogs about how all the food suggestions are going to kill everybody. Except baking soda. We all know that's the secret killer hiding in all of our pantries.

    I get your point, unfortunately this was not the case since a soap joke was made incessantly. I don't mind clarification, but the first people to answer my post were 12 year old children.

    Learned my lesson though. People are dumb, spell out everything and assume your audience is five years old.

    I don't really find the soap comments to be something worth getting up in arms about, but I also use homemade soap so that is a staple in my house as far as getting close to natural.

    The actual lesson here is that this is the internet, you're going to have to clarify things more than you would in any face-to-face conversation because you're talking to strangers without the benefit of physical cues.

    You also can't control anyone's responses but your own, so there's really no point in getting upset and lecturing everyone else about how they responded. You could've had a bit of fun with the soap comment and made a Fight Club reference in response instead of calling everyone names, and the drama would have disappeared before it began. The boards are a good place to get information, but after awhile people get tired of the same topics over and over and like to have some fun with their responses, especially if they're here because they're bored at work.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    FredDoyle wrote: »
    mfp2014mfp wrote: »
    At the risk of returning back to the point of the thread :wink: Theres a website called Worlds Healthiest Foods http://www.whfoods.com/ I love this website, it has detailed information on the vitamin/mineral breakdown (amongst other things like clinical trials linked to food as medicine) of these foods and how they help to keep your body in a state of good health. Im sure everyone in this thread could get something from this site evn if it is only a recipe.

    You're right about everyone getting something...
    It sure gave me a headache (and almost a seizure).
    It's like Geocities rose from the dead.

    gtih5aj0ja17.png

    Gave me a headache to, a simple question turns into a cluster ?


  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,145 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Picking whole grain pasta more often remains a superior choice.

    LOL …still does not address as to why a whole grain noodle is cleaner than a regular noodle..

    so people who eat whole grain noodles are superior to those that do not???? Interesting...

    Because whole grain pasta has a lower GI which, in turn, does not cause your insulin to spike as high as white pasta (and flour) would. White flour spikes your insulin higher than a candy bar.
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Picking whole grain pasta more often remains a superior choice.

    LOL …still does not address as to why a whole grain noodle is cleaner than a regular noodle..

    so people who eat whole grain noodles are superior to those that do not???? Interesting...

    Because whole grain pasta has a lower GI which, in turn, does not cause your insulin to spike as high as white pasta (and flour) would. White flour spikes your insulin higher than a candy bar.
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Picking whole grain pasta more often remains a superior choice.

    LOL …still does not address as to why a whole grain noodle is cleaner than a regular noodle..

    so people who eat whole grain noodles are superior to those that do not???? Interesting...

    Because whole grain pasta has a lower GI which, in turn, does not cause your insulin to spike as high as white pasta (and flour) would. White flour spikes your insulin higher than a candy bar.

    so is protein unclean then, because, you know, insulin spikes..???
    TROLL
    In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[4]

    Can we have that ignore button back yet?

    LOL so I questioning the notion that foods that cause insulin spikes are unclean is trolling? OK …just because you want it to be so does not make it so …
  • Zumaria1
    Zumaria1 Posts: 225 Member
    Not sure if anyone mentioned lentils, but that is an item I absolutely love having in my pantry. They cook quicker than beans, and have lots of fiber and are very filling. I love to make them with onions, peppers, and dash of hot sauce and they are delicious!

    As far as all the snarky, obnoxious comments about clean, natural or otherwise, some people just like to be purposefully obtuse. Best just to ignore them or you will have a post with 20 pages full of circular reasoning. Trust me, I may not post often, but many times I've read posts like that, where the original question is buried beneath pages of debates about some obscure point somebody said, or pages of gifs that have nothing to do with what you asked.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,551 Member
    Tigg_er wrote: »
    FredDoyle wrote: »
    mfp2014mfp wrote: »
    At the risk of returning back to the point of the thread :wink: Theres a website called Worlds Healthiest Foods http://www.whfoods.com/ I love this website, it has detailed information on the vitamin/mineral breakdown (amongst other things like clinical trials linked to food as medicine) of these foods and how they help to keep your body in a state of good health. Im sure everyone in this thread could get something from this site evn if it is only a recipe.

    You're right about everyone getting something...
    It sure gave me a headache (and almost a seizure).
    It's like Geocities rose from the dead.

    gtih5aj0ja17.png

    Gave me a headache to, a simple question turns into a cluster ?

    welcome to MFP.... and the internet in general. You must be new here! lol
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    problem with that logic is that the more fresh you get- the faster you have to eat it- and won't be "restocking" the pantry.

    This is a good point, and might relate to different ways of thinking about the topic.

    I tend to use my cupboard (again, wish I still had a pantry, but not in my current place) for items that I can safely keep for a long time and forget about. This includes dried pasta, and canned stuff, as well as baking basics and dried items. It doesn't necessarily the items I'm really using all the time, even those which don't need to be refrigerated. It has to do with perishability.

    I think you've gotten a pretty good list of the big things, though, OP.