Ideas for Non-Edible Rewards

Options
I have none.

I love the idea of rewarding yourself for reaching milestones, but for me "treats" are FOOD. I don't want to celebrate losing those first 10 pounds by eating a sundae - even if I CAN make it fit into the calories for the day. I want to quit treating my body like a trained animal (You did the trick and get a tasty nibble) But I don't think a positive-reinforcement clicker is going to be very satisfying. Not to mention that if the kids ever got their hands on it I'd probably want to set it on fire.

What do you do to pat yourself on the back (and not the tummy) when you deserve a "treat"?

Replies

• LandyBreigh
    LandyBreigh Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    If you like jewelry, a nice inexpensive pair of ear rings, a bracelet, or necklace. I like hair ties and clips and makeup, so I'll buy something nice once I reach my first goal.
  • jdim1093
    jdim1093 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    This is so tough. The problem is twofold: 1. as a species, we've evolved to tie food to psychologic phenomenon. Hence the term "comfort food" 2. It's super easy to justify the cost of a small treat, but the equivalent emotional response for non-food costs 10-100 times as much (i.e. shoes, purses, video games, tools in the garage, etc). Ditto for time. We HAVE to make time to eat, not all of us have extra time for "fun" treats like a round of golf or extra hour of Call of Duty or a window-shopping trip at the local outlets.

For me, I'm trying to experiment with this as well. Some thoughts I'm toying with:
    • Set up a budget for rewards. Put something into it every month no matter what, but only spend it when I hit a goal.
    • Take away some things that I probably could do without and only let them back into my life when I've earned them (like, no more Big Bang Theory unless I make it the full week being "good").
    • Start trying to tie positive emotion to exercise. Had a bad day? How about a run? As opposed to Had a bad day? Let's stop at DQ on the way home!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Clothes. It's always clothes. After I have my second child and get to my goal weight again, I'm going to reward myself with laser hair removal. You know, for those professional "after" pics.
  • izu87
    izu87 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I am considering buying myself a VivoFit for Christmas if in the next 3 weeks I make it with my plans - working out, counting properly, etc.

After that... I don't know. Eventually clothes.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I reward myself with achievements!

Walking through the finish line at tough mudder is an overwhelmingly beautiful, emotionally moving moment that can only be truly experienced if you put in a lot of time and hard work to earn that headband. It fills me up like food never would be able to. And it isn't the kind of reward that is gone in 2 seconds like food - or grown out of like goal outfits, or chipped away with a manicure.

It's one of those moments in life. you know what I mean :bigsmile:

hiking a mountain. climbing a rock wall. finishing a race.

all of these aren't just rewards, they are rewards with a side of a sense of self, pride and recognizing as a fact that you can conquer giant obstacles.

but have fun with the new clothes/jewelry/hair removal ideas too!
  • jenn_ed
    jenn_ed Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Whenever I want to treat myself, I always head to the spa. Sometimes it's a manicure/pedicure, or sometimes I really splurge and get a massage or a facial :smile:
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    Haha a clicker might not do the trick, but how about attending a concert or music performance?

Things I also like:

- Expensive scented candles
    - Nicer sports attire
    - Haircuts, manicures, pedicures, facials, massages, that kind of thing.
    - Outing to somewhere you wouldn't normally go (trampoline park or roller rink, anyone? Perhaps a VIP movie theatre!)
    - Teeth whitening strips maybe?
    - Clothes, shoes, accessories
    - New small appliances - maybe a new blender or coffee maker

Lots of things! I deprive myself of a lot of goods because I'm so cheap, but will reward myself once in a while :)
  • Jdigs88
    Jdigs88 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Well, totally depends on your interests, but some of these things work:

* Spa treatments, especially massages or pedicures if you're sore/achy from working out
    * Jewelry
    * Makeup or makeup application from professional
    * Hair blowout or coloring
    * New clothes
    * Magazine subscriptions (healthy or cooking magazines, or anything you like)
    * Vacations or day trips
    * Fitness tracker
    * Fitness equipment - resistance bands, kettlebells, weights, pilates ring, workout dvds, foam roller, new sneakers, heart rate monitor
    * Classes - painting, photography, dance, cooking, fitness
    * Personal training
    * Gadgets - ipad, kindle, mp3 player, camera, phone
    * Cooking supplies - fancy ingredients, new pots or pans, bakeware, immersion blender, food processor, fancy coffee, fancy salts

Honestly, for me, it's anything I want that wouldn't fit easily into my everyday budget, or something I want to do but find myself needing a reason to indulge or to "justify" the experience or purchase.

You can also still use food, but instead of a sundae or restaurant, make a fancy ingredient a reward. For example, really expensive or nice cut of fish, something with truffle oil or salt, a hard to find ingredient that needs to be ordered, or a really nice bottle of wine.
  • Silverdracos
    Silverdracos Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    jdim1093 wrote: »
    This is so tough. The problem is twofold: 1. as a species, we've evolved to tie food to psychologic phenomenon. Hence the term "comfort food" 2. It's super easy to justify the cost of a small treat, but the equivalent emotional response for non-food costs 10-100 times as much (i.e. shoes, purses, video games, tools in the garage, etc). Ditto for time. We HAVE to make time to eat, not all of us have extra time for "fun" treats like a round of golf or extra hour of Call of Duty or a window-shopping trip at the local outlets.

So true :) time and money are a big part of what makes it hard to think of something.

My BestFriend and I have a running joke that the first one to win the lottery is springing for hair removal Lol.

And I like the way you think yoovie, I'd love to get to the point where TM or just running in an event was an option. Those are BIG goals way down the line :)
  • merisaOct3
    merisaOct3 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to lie... I get pedicures and buy new clothes when I want, not when I hit a new goal... but I did buy myself a new workout outfit and new jeans when I lost 25lbs. Though that was more of "i'm tired of my clothes falling off of me" than a reward.
    The changes I am seeing in the mirror and my capabilities in achieving new fitness goals have been the best reward. Being able to lift myself into wheel and bust out 30 (knee) pushups has been freakin awesome :smile:
  • Pensworth
    Pensworth Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    • CDs and DVDs under five dollars a piece.
    • New work out clothes.
    • Redbox rentals or online streaming.
    • Online games, as in the steam website.
    • See a movie in the theater.
    • Take a day trip somewhere you don't normally make the time to go to.
    • small trinkets like keychains, pins, etc
  • Kristyai3
    Kristyai3 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I love to read. I buy myself a new book for every 5 pounds.
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I colored my hair. I've been wanting to color it bright red. I was going to wait till I hit 45lb but did it at 40.
  • 52cardpickup
    52cardpickup Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    I reward myself with achievements!

Walking through the finish line at tough mudder is an overwhelmingly beautiful, emotionally moving moment that can only be truly experienced if you put in a lot of time and hard work to earn that headband. It fills me up like food never would be able to. And it isn't the kind of reward that is gone in 2 seconds like food - or grown out of like goal outfits, or chipped away with a manicure.

It's one of those moments in life. you know what I mean :bigsmile:

hiking a mountain. climbing a rock wall. finishing a race.

all of these aren't just rewards, they are rewards with a side of a sense of self, pride and recognizing as a fact that you can conquer giant obstacles.

but have fun with the new clothes/jewelry/hair removal ideas too!

+1. So very, very true. The feeling of accomplishment that comes from something like that just reinforces everything you're doing right for your health.

I totally understand the reward system, though. When I reach my goal weight, I'm buying myself the entry fee for whatever obstacle race is in town at that time. Gonna go kick some donkey butt.
  • bingo_jenn
    bingo_jenn Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I just went through this. A lot of the spa things, I do on my own. Pedicures are a regular after long runs and races. I bought a bunch of new dresses/jeans last time I lost some weight and they are still sitting in my closet waiting to be worn again. Some of the things I came up with are compression tights, a cooking class, a full spa day when I'm 5 pounds from goal, and a new after photo shoot at goal.
  • allieallieoxenfree
    allieallieoxenfree Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I love this thread! It is a priority for me to NEVER use food as a reward for myself or my (future) kids.

I usually do new workout clothes every two months if I've stuck to my goals. It's like a self-perpetuating reward because then I *want* to wear them to the gym! I've also bought myself lots of fancy gear as rewards over the years that I don't really need (e.g. yoga bolster & blocks, running belt, super nice rock-climbing shoes) for the same reason!
  • ems212
    ems212 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    My first reward is new shoes. My rewards after that are monetary. I really want another tattoo, so every time I reach a goal, I put money towards the new tattoo :)
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    if i don't wanna spend any money, i'll take a long, relaxing bubble bath or go all-out with makeup and take a bunch of selfies.
  • ourtruelovewillneverdie
    Options
    I reward myself with stuff I enjoy like make up or going and getting my eyebrows waxed instead of doing them myself, which I hate doing but I am particular about groomed eyebrows. Sometimes I even buy workout stuff or a new DVD to workout to.
  • craftymommy
    craftymommy Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Jeans.... or one article of cute clothing, but usually jeans. Makes me feel good and motivates me to keep going. Every once in a while I go try on a size smaller. If I fit, I buy it (within my budget, of course). I did that last week and fit into a size 10 for the first time in over a decade and I was practically dancing in that fitting room. Totally bought them and I feel great and want to keep going. It's a treat because I don't really buy myself a lot of clothes. I get a kick out of it because at my heaviest I was always so depressed trying on clothes and now I love it.

Make it something you look forward to. What would make you dance for joy?