PALEO anyone?

Options
Does anyone eat Paleo? If so, post a favorite recipe, or tip for those just starting out!

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    in..to find out what cavemen ate...
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    1. Paleo is an eating style, not a weight loss method. You still need a calorie deficit to lose weight no matter how you eat.

2. Paleo is very restrictive and some people find it very limiting when it comes to eating out.

3. The style of eating focuses on eating foods that are not known to cause allergic reactions or inflammation, which means many foods are eliminated from the diet. Great for people who have those food issues, but for those who do not, you may be unnecessarily eliminating nutrient-dense foods from your diet.
  • brewinggirl_butskinnier
    Options
    I'm not paleo but the nom nom paleo website has some great recipes (particularly for sous vide cooked meat).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Yeah, there are tons of good paleo recipe sites, of which nom nom paleo is one.

I'm not paleo, but my meals could be quite often. Tonight I had tuna steak, Brussels sprouts and cauliflower, and a pear. (Of course, then I had ice cream for dessert, because I had lots of extra calories.)

Basically it's just eliminating legumes, dairy, and grains, plus certain kinds of oils, so like meat, veggies (but not green beans), and a sweet potato would be fine. My tip would be to plan your meal around a protein source (basically eggs or meat are the allowable ones) plus veggies, which is what I do and why I eat meals that could be paleo often enough (and browse their recipes). On the other hand, I love dairy and think it makes eating healthy easier, don't care about beans but think they make eating healthy easier, and don't much care about most grains and tend to eat them somewhat sparingly, but like the freedom to buy a sandwich or wrap for lunch on occasion.

But good luck with paleo; I hope it works for you.
  • Marcillene
    Marcillene Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the responses yall! I actually was hoping by switching some thing sup to Paleo would help my son. He has anaphylaxis to multiple foods including eggs, nuts, dairy, wheat, rice, barley, rye, vanilla extract, oat, etc. from what i've seen, Paleo meal choices give a way to add alot of vegetables that i normally would not eat alone..

and hoping it helps with diverticulitis.

i think i actually used a recipe from NOM NOM PALEO the other day and it turned out wonderful.

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    MEAT.
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'm not paleo (I'm low carb) but I've found some good recipes here:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-paleo-recipes/#axzz3KmHNRKit

I also have Mark Sisson's book: Primal Blueprint Quick and Easy Meals. I've only tried a few of the recipes, but they've been fantastic.
  • IronBelote
    IronBelote Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    1. Paleo is an eating style, not a weight loss method. You still need a calorie deficit to lose weight no matter how you eat.

2. Paleo is very restrictive and some people find it very limiting when it comes to eating out.

3. The style of eating focuses on eating foods that are not known to cause allergic reactions or inflammation, which means many foods are eliminated from the diet. Great for people who have those food issues, but for those who do not, you may be unnecessarily eliminating nutrient-dense foods from your diet.

What Kgeyser said. Which sounds exactly like what your son might need.
  • msKoach
    Options
    Marcillene wrote: »
    Thank you for the responses yall! I actually was hoping by switching some thing sup to Paleo would help my son. He has anaphylaxis to multiple foods including eggs, nuts, dairy, wheat, rice, barley, rye, vanilla extract, oat, etc. from what i've seen, Paleo meal choices give a way to add alot of vegetables that i normally would not eat alone..

i think i actually used a recipe from NOM NOM PALEO the other day and it turned out wonderful.

We have/do live with multiple food allergies/issues. Paleo should be a good plan to follow since you need a restrictive diet in the house. *hugs* to you for being a good momma. Allergies are hard! I learned to make some good dairy, egg, soy, nut free brownies at one point lol

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert on diverticulitis but from what I understand lowering the fibre to make it easier to break down is typically suggested. Just be careful with what sorts of veggies you eat basically. I know things like pumpkin skins are a big no no.
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    chrisdavey wrote: »
    I'm no expert on diverticulitis but from what I understand lowering the fibre to make it easier to break down is typically suggested. Just be careful with what sorts of veggies you eat basically. I know things like pumpkin skins are a big no no.

Diverticulitis is weird. My dad, aunt, and grandma all have it. And they were all given different dietary restrictions. I know my dad was told to avoid seeds (even the tiny ones on strawberries). But my aunt and grandma don't have to avoid seeds at all. I can't remember their restrictions, just that they were different for all three of them.
  • Marcillene
    Marcillene Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    msKoach wrote: »
    Marcillene wrote: »

We have/do live with multiple food allergies/issues. Paleo should be a good plan to follow since you need a restrictive diet in the house. *hugs* to you for being a good momma. Allergies are hard! I learned to make some good dairy, egg, soy, nut free brownies at one point lol

Thank you... being an FA mom is a difficult task, as you do know. I know that elliminates alot out of my sons diet and my diet as well since i cannot have eggs, protein drinks, certain legumes, no nuts, wheat gluten, barley, rye, oat, etc. etc. etc. the list goes on and on... so for both of our sakes, i think me eating strictly meat, vegetables, fruit type lifestyle... then i wouldnt spend as much time reading every label and contacting companies about their cross contamination labeling practices...
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    jrose1982 wrote: »
    chrisdavey wrote: »

Diverticulitis is weird. My dad, aunt, and grandma all have it. And they were all given different dietary restrictions. I know my dad was told to avoid seeds (even the tiny ones on strawberries). But my aunt and grandma don't have to avoid seeds at all. I can't remember their restrictions, just that they were different for all three of them.

Avoiding seeds is no longer considered necessary for diverticulitis. It's also recommended to eat high fibre except during a flare up, when low fibre is advised. This information is what a dietitian would recommend based on latest research.

• Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    kgeyser wrote: »

And every now and then a polite and informative response (such as this one) to a Paleo question shines through the smog of the main forums.

OP, Kgeyser has summed it up quite nicely. Paleo isn't easy and it requires quite a bit of restriction, especially for weight loss.

But it's a God send to those of us with chronic inflammatory conditions.

If you aren't chronically inflamed or suffering from frequent malaise, stiffness, pain, skin outbreaks and/or low mood - there are easier and less restrictive ways to lose weight.
    Interesting because red meat is believed to be inflammatory. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24284436
  • Jennjoywolf
    Jennjoywolf Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I ate paleo for two days and already I'm seeing an improvement in my chronic hives problems. I've done it in the past and have found it a little more expensive to get the higher quality ingredients, but my body is always happy. I can't do it all of the time, but I definitely try out paleo recipes when I can :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    in..to find out what cavemen ate...

If you're interested in paleo/primal, OP, I would suggest joining the group linked above.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/37-primal-paleo-support-group

otherwise, just know that captain threadcrap here will continue to do his...doody.