Traveling for work...how to eat clean?!

Options
2»

Replies

• cub1771
    Options
    Do you get to choose what kind of hotel you stay at? I traveled a lot and still managed to lose a lot of weight. I started staying at Extended Stays or Candlewood Suites that had kitchens.

If your company doesn't offer that, ask them if instead of booking your room if they will just give you the money for the room and the $50/day for food and book your own room with a kitchenette. You should be able to grocery shop for $15-25/day and cook meals on a stove top.

Also, try hitting the treadmill or elliptical in the hotel gym if they have one or see if the hotel has an agreement with a local gym for free passes or discounted weekly cards. I used to love hitting the gym while on the road as a stress release and to keep my mind occupied from missing my wife and kids at home.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    When I travel for work, I joke that half of my suitcase is full of food. Planning ahead is essential for me--or at least having a lot of healthier options that won't trigger bad eating. Sometimes I come home with a lot of it (and sometimes even more if I found some great healthy options that I haven't seen at home). But knowing it's available is a huge help to me.
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Like many have said, pre-planning is the way to go!

I used to travel from Sunday night - Friday night with a few layovers that always got delayed in the winter months.

For me, I eat oatmeal in the morning, a salad from Subway with oil/vinegar dressing for lunch, a healthy meal from a restaurant for dinner (steamed fish/baked chicken with steamed veggies, no dressing) and I even had room in my calories to have a glass of wine with dinner! I would always bring workout gear and workout 3 times per week and on my travel days. I'd also bring protein powder (easily mix in my to-go water bottle in the airport) or protein bars so it was always easy for me to stay on track while traveling and to have snacks available between meals during the week.

On my last business trip, I had a kitchen so I hit up the grocery store nearby and I bought yogurt and fruit for breakfast and pre-made salads with hard-boiled eggs for lunch. With my daily allowance, I was able to still eat out for dinner.

Good luck to you!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I learned while I was diabetic to always have a stash of protein-rich snacks handy. My blood sugars were much more stable if I ate every two hours. There's peanuts (any nuts really). Two bars I like are Simply bars and Taste of Nature bars. I have Premier Protein drinks on hand, too. There's hiker's mix but you really have to watch the portions. Unless you plan on climbing a mountain that day. These are the sorts of snacks you can carry with you if you get stuck at a layover for instance.

I got thinking about what you can bring along in your luggage and it occurred to me that you might benefit from dried or dehydrated foods that can be reconstituted with water. Water will be available wherever you are. I bet there are interesting choices at a local camper's store.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The really tough part for me would be the protein, and I know TJ's has some decent salads with protein that would work. (Also you can pick up some yogurt or cottage cheese.) As others have said, hard-boiled eggs (if you can transport them), fruits and raw veggies, and oatmeal are great for breakfast. I might bring some protein bars for snacks (maybe not "clean," but I like them). I also like the smoked salmon from WF as a protein option. Other stuff I rely on is more perishable.

I'd probably end up mostly eating out for dinner (when I travel it seems like this is part of the job anyway, sigh), and just being careful when ordering. What is actually easier is doing stuff like the TJ salad for dinner and getting lunch from a place that has calorie information and good options (I used to travel to NYC all the time and the place I was working was across the street from a Pret, which was handy).
  • jh48200
    jh48200 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I traveled for 15 years and that makes it very difficult when it comes to eating. Lugging items around with me was never an option... so I always made sure I made trip to grocery stores to purchase items that I planned to cook in my room. Best of luck....
  • kevinuc74
    kevinuc74 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    What hotel do you stay at? I travel for work as well and now try to stay at a Courtyard Marriott when possible. They have a kitchen/bar that serves food and all the calories are listed. They have a lot of healthy options and the one egg white sandwich you can get in the morning is delicious.

I also generally bring nuts, single serve Quaker Oatmeal cups with me, Nature Valley granola bars as they are all easy to pack. I also bring my brita water bottle to make sure I always have water and just drink that while I'm away, besides coffee.

I also always check out where a Subway is as that's another good option for eating out and it's cheap.

I'll always find a local grocery store too so I can pick up yogurt and cottage cheese.

If I have to go out with coworkers for dinner or lunch, I just order something healthy. Most restaurants have options or will make something for you minus the add ons.

Just make sure you work out and you'll be fine.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the suggestions so someone may have already said this but check out the other grocery stores. Many of ours around here have salad bars and look at the deli counters too. You could get some sliced meat, cheeses and fresh rolls to have a quick sandwich. You said you have a little fridge so you have lots of options for a little bit of fresh food....salad fixins' etc. Take a microwavable bowl with you and you can cook eggs in the microwave and whole oat oatmeal. For your travel days I'd look for nuts, beef sticks/jerky, granola, protein bars and fruit.
  • Renibee
    Renibee Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Brown Rice Cakes and organic peanut butter are great quick snacks you can also keep on you in the hotel if you want to change up your snacks!
  • wteachwo
    wteachwo Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    kevinuc74 wrote: »
    What hotel do you stay at? I travel for work as well and now try to stay at a Courtyard Marriott when possible. They have a kitchen/bar that serves food and all the calories are listed. They have a lot of healthy options and the one egg white sandwich you can get in the morning is delicious.

I just switched to a Hampton Inn and this place seems to have more amenities than my last hotel. Single serving containers, silverware and microwave all available. Also fresh-baked cookies in the lobby that I have diligent tried to avoid. Can we tell cookies are my downfall....

Thanks so much for all of these suggestions. So far this week I have counted my calories every day and used my fridge and microwave as my source of food. I've felt full and not deprived, yay!

Another issue for me is when I eat out I get tempted to order dessert Every. Single. Time. With this method, so far, I am sticking to my goal. Trying to stay on track day by day and not get too ahead of myself. I travel tomorrow (and it's a long day - 8 hours) so I'm going to employ some of these ideas.

My issue the past few weeks has been getting stuck unexpectedly and then becoming ravenous. My previous commute was very short and this longer one is kicking me in the *kitten*. Once I landed I binged on a huge quesadilla and tortilla meal, in addition to a large dessert. Hopefully I avoid that fate.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    wteachwo wrote: »
    kevinuc74 wrote: »

I just switched to a Hampton Inn and this place seems to have more amenities than my last hotel. Single serving containers, silverware and microwave all available. Also fresh-baked cookies in the lobby that I have diligent tried to avoid. Can we tell cookies are my downfall....

When places put out free food like this, I always imagine that they're cooked in the types of kitchens you see on TV on Bar Rescue or Kitchen Nightmares. Then I feel better about not eating one ;)
  • wteachwo
    wteachwo Posts: 19 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    wteachwo wrote: »

When places put out free food like this, I always imagine that they're cooked in the types of kitchens you see on TV on Bar Rescue or Kitchen Nightmares. Then I feel better about not eating one ;)
    Hahah, that is such a good point! They smell soon good though! I bet they're not even worth the calories (or I shall tell myself...)