Gluten allergies are a farce?

13»

Replies

• njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    edited December 2014
    I was diagnosed with a wheat allergy 30 years ago. I get huge hives, my airway closes, and I get digestive problems. But, I can eat rye and barley, which have gluten in them. So, I don't have a problem with gluten, but with wheat. I also get the same reactions to soy and corn. That allergy was also diagnosed many years ago.
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    edited December 2014
    The panic over gluten is the same as the panic over MSG. Both only affect a very small percentage of the population and besides, it may not be the gluten, but another protein, that people are allergic too according to the researcher that first uncovered this connection.

But, heck the gluten fad sells lots of units so people can get their placebo on.
  • QuiznatoddBidness
    QuiznatoddBidness Posts: 602 Member
    edited December 2014
    "Already a $4.2 billion market, gluten-free foods are expected to have sales of more than $6.6 billion by 2017"
    - Market researcher Packaged Facts
  • Isn't it responsible for each of us, to understand and take care of our own body in the best way we can? I trust myself. From experience, I know that doctors don't always make the right diagnosis and I have learned that health care systems operate within a budget and can't always provide the highest quality tests. I've read that lobbyists to our government have an agenda that affects the growing, harvesting, production, distribution, and quality of food, and the FDA, our protector, has been known to bend to the most powerful voices. I am a participant in my health care. I carefully choose what I eat and applaud others for the same. If we were machines perhaps one diet would suit all.
  • mnricha927
    mnricha927 Posts: 23 Member
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Coeliac disease is very real and has a clear aetiology. Gluten sensitivity is a spectrum of disorders, and includes coeliac. Wheat allergy is not gluten sensitivity, but a separate group of conditions.

Most people have none of these conditions, sensitivities, or diseases.

But don't you see? The problem with being dismissive about "most people" particularly in response to the idiots out there jumping on the fad bandwagon is the risk of dismissing those of use who aren't "most people" who have a legitimate diagnosis.

I've been at the gluten-free game for a loooooooooong time. It is really quite frustrating to see gains that have been made in the public consciousness being wiped out by intolerance to idiots. Why can't people ignore the idiots and just remember that there are quite a few people (certainly not most, but more than you'd think, actually) who do have a genuine issue with gluten?

Back when I was first diagnosed, it was so hard to get specialty products, and shopping was a minefield. Forget eating out. At least now, those of us who have a genuine problem have an easier time of things--at least when yahoos in restaurants aren't deciding to play fast and loose with gluten because they decide that everyone saying they need to avoid gluten is just making it up to jump onto the latest fad bandwagon.

I would disagree. I believe the bandwagon individuals who do not have a true sensitivity, allergy, or disease and only go GF because Oz or whoever else told them it's the "healthier" way to live are what adds to the disbelieve and dismissal of real issues. I have had many customers tell me they tell others they have an allergy because they want to make sure there are no mistakes with their food. That's fine; that's even understandable, but do you see where that can lead restaurant and service workers to believe that more than these few individuals are doing this? Those people are the problem, not those who don't believe all the time.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    All I know is that since quitting wheat after doing a lengthy elimination diet my thyroid function has normalized, my acid reflux, migraines, and vertigo are gone and my joint pain is reduced by about 80% all of these things were related autoimmune issues.. I don't even have to be SUPER careful.. unlike a person with celiacs if a trace amount of wheat sneaks in there I'm still ok.. and I'm fine with eating barley which contains gluten... BUT if I eat something like half a piece of bread I can feel it. So I'm not really "gluten free" but I would certainly benefit from a "gluten free" diet even though the actual gluten was not my problem. I use some gluten free products when I want a treat because 99.99% of the time they're wheat-free. And I order gluten free meals when I see they're available because I know that I won't have any issues with them. I'm sure if the diet police notice that I don't eat gluten free 100% of the time they'll accuse me of jumping into a fad because I don't have celiac and according to them I have no business consuming gluten free products.. Whatever.. worry about yourselves.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    LexGN wrote: »
    2 of my children have celiac disease. Trust me they are not just jumping on the bandwagon. they would love to eat like their friends, but they aren't tempted to cheat because of the intense pain and misery eating gluten causes them. My son also is a type 1 diabetic, and ends up in the hospital with low blood sugar and needing iv sugar when he accidently gets glutened. Its kind of a big deal. So please don't assume all the people eating gluten free are doing it because its a trend. My dr. also wants me to eat gluten free because of my Hypo thyroid...I'm on the fence...not enough research done on that to make me go gluten free completely, I have no symptoms of celiac, and I know them well. So there are Dr.s out there telling people they have gluten intolerence, (as mine has) when in fact not enough research has proven it to be true.

If you eat healthy, as most do, when you take out gluten, you are bound to feel better, but you can eat unhealthy and gluten free.

TRY IT for six months.. I'm off my synthroid with completely normal thyroid panel and I feel SO much better. I don't know if it's the gluten or the wheat or what because like you said there hasn't been enough research.. but frankly I DON'T CARE! All I know is that whatever I'm doing it's totally WORKING without strict adherence to being 100% wheat free... I just avoid all obvious sources of wheat and limit my other cereal grains to one or two small servings per day. Changed. My. Life.

• Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    All I know is that since quitting wheat after doing a lengthy elimination diet my thyroid function has normalized, my acid reflux, migraines, and vertigo are gone and my joint pain is reduced by about 80% all of these things were related autoimmune issues.. I don't even have to be SUPER careful.. unlike a person with celiacs if a trace amount of wheat sneaks in there I'm still ok.. and I'm fine with eating barley which contains gluten... BUT if I eat something like half a piece of bread I can feel it. So I'm not really "gluten free" but I would certainly benefit from a "gluten free" diet even though the actual gluten was not my problem. I use some gluten free products when I want a treat because 99.99% of the time they're wheat-free. And I order gluten free meals when I see they're available because I know that I won't have any issues with them. I'm sure if the diet police notice that I don't eat gluten free 100% of the time they'll accuse me of jumping into a fad because I don't have celiac and according to them I have no business consuming gluten free products.. Whatever.. worry about yourselves.

This is kind of my experience with it too. Autoimmune disease yes. Can't eat barley though. Three doctors, three different opinions. Tested for Celiacs and zero. Because I don't have to be so stringent with it as Celiacs understandably have to be, I'm sometimes finding out after the fact (of eating something with gluten) that it had gluten because of my response. Lollies? Nah...surely? And I miss a big slab of fresh bread with butter and Vegemite.

I'm open to "what it really is", it's just that ATM this is the best I've got to work on. I'm always searching.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    mnricha927 wrote: »
    Coeliac disease is very real and has a clear aetiology. Gluten sensitivity is a spectrum of disorders, and includes coeliac. Wheat allergy is not gluten sensitivity, but a separate group of conditions.

But don't you see? The problem with being dismissive about "most people" particularly in response to the idiots out there jumping on the fad bandwagon is the risk of dismissing those of use who aren't "most people" who have a legitimate diagnosis.

I've been at the gluten-free game for a loooooooooong time. It is really quite frustrating to see gains that have been made in the public consciousness being wiped out by intolerance to idiots. Why can't people ignore the idiots and just remember that there are quite a few people (certainly not most, but more than you'd think, actually) who do have a genuine issue with gluten?

Back when I was first diagnosed, it was so hard to get specialty products, and shopping was a minefield. Forget eating out. At least now, those of us who have a genuine problem have an easier time of things--at least when yahoos in restaurants aren't deciding to play fast and loose with gluten because they decide that everyone saying they need to avoid gluten is just making it up to jump onto the latest fad bandwagon.

I would disagree. I believe the bandwagon individuals who do not have a true sensitivity, allergy, or disease and only go GF because Oz or whoever else told them it's the "healthier" way to live are what adds to the disbelieve and dismissal of real issues. I have had many customers tell me they tell others they have an allergy because they want to make sure there are no mistakes with their food. That's fine; that's even understandable, but do you see where that can lead restaurant and service workers to believe that more than these few individuals are doing this? Those people are the problem, not those who don't believe all the time.

Those people might be the problem, but if you're a business person who decides to be lax in your response to the gluten issue by treating something like cross-contamination or even gluten itself not seriously (there have been cases of passing off gluten-filled items as gluten-free on menus... then the problem for legitimate sufferers comes in the from people responding to the snowflakes, not from the snowflakes themselves.

• Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member

Those people might be the problem, but if you're a business person who decides to be lax in your response to the gluten issue by treating something like cross-contamination or even gluten itself not seriously (there have been cases of passing off gluten-filled items as gluten-free on menus... then the problem for legitimate sufferers comes in the from people responding to the snowflakes, not from the snowflakes themselves.
    Agree. If you advertise GF then it's good customer service to honour that regardless of whether or not you personally think the customer is on a bandwagon.

Similarly, when I was in the fast food industry, junior staff would accidentally fill an order with coke when the customer ordered diet coke and just shrug their shoulders and still try to give to the customer. I had to explain on numerous occasions that that customer might be diabetic and it wasn't to be fobbed off. I'm not diabetic, I don't know what's what with it for each customer but it doesn't matter. It's on the menu and they asked for it. Their reasons are none of my business.
  • mnricha927
    mnricha927 Posts: 23 Member
    edited December 2014
    _SKIM_ wrote: »

Agree. If you advertise GF then it's good customer service to honour that regardless of whether or not you personally think the customer is on a bandwagon.

Similarly, when I was in the fast food industry, junior staff would accidentally fill an order with coke when the customer ordered diet coke and just shrug their shoulders and still try to give to the customer. I had to explain on numerous occasions that that customer might be diabetic and it wasn't to be fobbed off. I'm not diabetic, I don't know what's what with it for each customer but it doesn't matter. It's on the menu and they asked for it. Their reasons are none of my business.

I did not say that I do not honor the requests and I have never worked in a place where things like this were not taken seriously. I was merely pointing out that the "special snowflakes" may be the reason some people do not take real cases seriously. If all you see on a regular basis is the special snowflakes you start to see them as the norm. You start to wonder if there even is a problem. No, it is none of my business why you order a certain way, but don't tell the servers around you that you lie because it's easier. It demeans the issues for those who truly have them.

I have friends who have celiacs and friends who are highly sensitive to caffeine. I've also had to explain why you don't serve someone regular coffee if they ask for decaf.

Keep in mind also that you cannot have 100% guarantee that there was no contamination. You can do your best to make sure, but if you are so severely allergic to something that your life depends on it you had better not leave anything to chance. I know very well what precautions need to be taken, but I also have extensive experience in restaurants, both the FOH and the kitchen. When it gets busy and customers are frustrated because they ordered something special because, let's face it unless you go to a GF restaurant then whatever is ordered as GF will be considered a special menu item - not the norm - mistakes get made. When thirteen tables with 3-6 people at each one have an order that comes through in an eight minute time frame, people start to get a little flustered. It's human nature.
    I have friends with these severe allergies and intolerances that choose to eat before they go out because they work in the industry and know how hard it can be to get everything just right without any problems during a dinner rush.

Just like with kcals and macros, unless you prepare and cook something yourself, you have no way of knowing.

• No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    I think there are definetly people that are allergic too it. I have a friend that if she eats certain foods she blows up in a day an honest to god looks pregnant when she isn't a very big girl. Not really sure if its a gluten allergy that does that either.

but it does seem to be an epidemic sweeping the nation. most of them have to be fakers in my opinion lol.

also don't understand why every other kid has a peanut allergy these days. when I grew up it was pretty rare. something tells me that kids are getting diagnosed when they really aren't allergic. or the human gene pool is falling apart lol
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    I too did an elimination test. I was having horrible bloating, inflammation in my limbs, and gas. Getting rid of gluten was the only thing that helped. I don't pick and choose. I can tell the same day if I misunderstood whether something contained gluten as my symptoms returned. I buy gluten free breads and pancake/waffle mix, order gluten free if eating out, but otherwise, I just stick to veggies and lean protein. If I bake, I'll make it gluten free. As others have said, you just have to find what works for you and know your body.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    I think there are definetly people that are allergic too it. I have a friend that if she eats certain foods she blows up in a day an honest to god looks pregnant when she isn't a very big girl. Not really sure if its a gluten allergy that does that either.

but it does seem to be an epidemic sweeping the nation. most of them have to be fakers in my opinion lol.

also don't understand why every other kid has a peanut allergy these days. when I grew up it was pretty rare. something tells me that kids are getting diagnosed when they really aren't allergic. or the human gene pool is falling apart lol

There is emerging research on why there is an increase in peanut allergies (and why they are way more severe.) My grandfather had a peanut allergy, it gave him hives on the back of his neck. He ate peanuts daily and didn't even know it was an allergy until he was in his 70's. Many of the 90's and 00's kids with peanut allergies have the kind with anaphylaxis, people are a lot faster to accommodate someone who may suffocate than someone who gets a rash.

Delaying the introduction of foods is one of the theories.
    http://fooddrugallergy.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=40
  • Alleghany
    Alleghany Posts: 200
    edited December 2014
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Kelene616 wrote: »
    I don't have celiac disease, but if I eat anything containing gluten I get hives. It's not a farce, and it bothers me when people say they are allergic when they really are just looking for an excuse, for whatever reason. It's very difficult having ths allergy. My hives are one step away from anaphylaxis.

Some celiacs get topical reactions to gluten. So clearly the body doesn't just react in one set way to an allergen or food sensitivity!

But as for myself, I stopped eating gluten 4-5 years ago and I feel much better without it. I first tried going dairy-free and this didn't change my painful bloating or gas. I also was doing these elimination diets more with the hope it'd clear up my acne (which it didn't) and wasn't really banking on some digestive improvements. I didn't even know what the symptoms of gluten allergy or sensitivity were when I did this.

So eh, YMMV.

About five or six years ago, many wheat growers were convinced by Monsanto that they should apply Roundup (Monsanto's name for their herbicide in which glyphosate is the major component) to their wheat crops. Even though wheat is not yet "Roundup-ready" (they are working on it) they apply the Roundup, shortly before harvest, in order to kill the wheat plants and more efficiently dry the wheat kernels on the stalk. While it saves a bit of money for the farmer, it means that there will be quite a lot of Roundup residue in the wheat. While the government has cleared glyphosate as "generally recognized as safe"--it may not be the glyphosate that is the problem in observed toxic reactions in animal studies: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25245870 (and possible human toxicity as well). There is a chemical called POE-15 that is added to the glyphosate in the herbicide and POE-15 has, so far, proved to be highly toxic to living cells. But glyphosate itself may not be as innocent as was once thought because further animal studies have determined that long-term exposure wreaks havoc with bowel flora among other undesirable effects: "Symptoms include nausea, diarrhea, skin rashes, macrocytic anemia and depression. It is a multifactorial disease associated with numerous nutritional deficiencies as well as reproductive issues and increased risk to thyroid disease, kidney failure and cancer." You can read the rest of the article here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3945755/

Monsanto is pulling out all the stops in fighting those who are raising the alarm on the herbicide's pervasive use throughout the food supply. It is an extremely profitable product for them. They hire scientists to produce "positive" studies on its use and they hire individuals to post articles that negate its possible negative affects on health.

Mulberry, I was about type the same thing but you probably detailed it more clearly than I could have! Thank-you for posting this as most people don't know this. It is making everyone who consumes this round-up wheat (among other Monsanto crops) sick little by little and sometimes faster if someone already has health issues. This is very important info, folks!

• lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member

Part of that is the severity of the reaction to peanut is more significant in the majority of people than other foods. Also peanut butter is cross reactive with dust mites, which is one of the primary allergens people have. The severity of venom allergies is about the same, but people don't intentionally expose one another to vespids.

"Hey come to my party. I'll trap you in a room with pie and honey bees"
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    edited December 2014
    Alleghany wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Kelene616 wrote: »
    I don't have celiac disease, but if I eat anything containing gluten I get hives. It's not a farce, and it bothers me when people say they are allergic when they really are just looking for an excuse, for whatever reason. It's very difficult having ths allergy. My hives are one step away from anaphylaxis.

Some celiacs get topical reactions to gluten. So clearly the body doesn't just react in one set way to an allergen or food sensitivity!

But as for myself, I stopped eating gluten 4-5 years ago and I feel much better without it. I first tried going dairy-free and this didn't change my painful bloating or gas. I also was doing these elimination diets more with the hope it'd clear up my acne (which it didn't) and wasn't really banking on some digestive improvements. I didn't even know what the symptoms of gluten allergy or sensitivity were when I did this.

So eh, YMMV.

About five or six years ago, many wheat growers were convinced by Monsanto that they should apply Roundup (Monsanto's name for their herbicide in which glyphosate is the major component) to their wheat crops. Even though wheat is not yet "Roundup-ready" (they are working on it) they apply the Roundup, shortly before harvest, in order to kill the wheat plants and more efficiently dry the wheat kernels on the stalk. While it saves a bit of money for the farmer, it means that there will be quite a lot of Roundup residue in the wheat. While the government has cleared glyphosate as "generally recognized as safe"--it may not be the glyphosate that is the problem in observed toxic reactions in animal studies: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25245870 (and possible human toxicity as well). There is a chemical called POE-15 that is added to the glyphosate in the herbicide and POE-15 has, so far, proved to be highly toxic to living cells. But glyphosate itself may not be as innocent as was once thought because further animal studies have determined that long-term exposure wreaks havoc with bowel flora among other undesirable effects: "Symptoms include nausea, diarrhea, skin rashes, macrocytic anemia and depression. It is a multifactorial disease associated with numerous nutritional deficiencies as well as reproductive issues and increased risk to thyroid disease, kidney failure and cancer." You can read the rest of the article here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3945755/

Monsanto is pulling out all the stops in fighting those who are raising the alarm on the herbicide's pervasive use throughout the food supply. It is an extremely profitable product for them. They hire scientists to produce "positive" studies on its use and they hire individuals to post articles that negate its possible negative affects on health.

Mulberry, I was about type the same thing but you probably detailed it more clearly than I could have! Thank-you for posting this as most people don't know this. It is making everyone who consumes this round-up wheat (among other Monsanto crops) sick little by little and sometimes faster if someone already has health issues. This is very important info, folks!

I honestly hope that what happens to me is only because of the herbicide, I won't know until I get tested for allergies or celiac but because I have to stop eliminating them for at least a few weeks before I can get accurately tested I have been putting it off for years. I will definitely look into this more. We've avoided anything that wasn't labeled GMO free and eaten mostly organic vegetables for a few years now to avoid things like that. I wonder if it's helped or if it explains why my reactions keep getting worse when I have them.