TDEE/Exercise

Options
Wow, I never knew how confusing it could be to try and lose wight by the numbers. So, I've got a few questions!

My current situation is as follows: I'm a student who sits most of the time and I'm not very active at all. When I calculate my TDEE I usually pick "sedentary" since that seems to fit the best for me.

After doing this, I register any exercise I might do to MFP and I eat somewhere between 50-100% of these calories back - depending on situation.

I've noticed that I do work out around 3 times a week at this point, and I've been thinking about changing my TDEE-calculation to "Lightly active", my question is now:

If I change my TDEE to "Lightly active", can I still log my exercise here on MFP and eat the calories back as I've done, or are they now calculated in to the numbers? Is the activity level of the TDEE calculation a general increase (small) to make up for the general/average activity of your lifestyle, or is it simply adding the exercise you do to the alloted daily amount, meaning it can't be eaten back once you register your exercise here?

I'm confused and would appreciate any answers :smile:

Replies

• uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    You can keep logging your exercise and eating back calories. It will bump up your total calories just a little bit because it will assume you are someone who moves around more than a sedentary person. So if you are someone who walks all over campus or works out a few times a week then your body is going to require a few more calories per day even when it isn't exercising.

Give it a try. If it doesn't work, then go back to what you were doing! :)
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    When you have TDEE as lightly active the exercise calories are already included, so you don't eat them back. And you eat your TDEE-% everyday.

ETA- here's a page that explains TDEE. You'll be less confused.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/680246/tdee-bmr-what-they-are-and-what-to-do-with-them/p1
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Wondertje wrote: »
    If I change my TDEE to "Lightly active", can I still log my exercise here on MFP and eat the calories back as I've done

No

are they now calculated in to the numbers?

Yes
  • Wondertje
    Wondertje Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    So, we start this thread off with two completely contradicting answers. Doesn't make me any less confused :wink:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    TDEE includes exercise. MFP is not a TDEE calculator. MFP calculates what you need for everything else not including exercise, then when you do exercise you eat more to fuel that activity. So, if you are allowing MFP to calculate your numbers, yes, eat more for exercise. If you are not losing as much as you expect set at "lightly active" then put it back to "sedentary".

If you are using some other TDEE calculator and set up your own custom goals, then the TDEE would include the exercise calories and you wouldn't eat more when you exercise.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    Options
    When you have TDEE as lightly active the exercise calories are already included, so you don't eat them back. And you eat your TDEE-% everyday.

I don't believe so. The more active you are, the more energy your body requires even when you aren't working out. If someone who is very active maintains at 2500 calories a day, even on a day they don't workout, they still maintain on 2500 calories a day.
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options

This
  • Wondertje
    Options
    Yeah, that might be a good addition for information: I've only ever used MFP calculator because I really don't know how any of this works really. So MFP isn't a TDEE calculator, I thought it was because it looks like all the other TDEE calculators I've found so far. Meaning, it uses the input of age, gender, height, weight and activity level to give some sort of number back.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    Options
    Yeah, that might be a good addition for information: I've only ever used MFP calculator because I really don't know how any of this works really. So MFP isn't a TDEE calculator, I thought it was because it looks like all the other TDEE calculators I've found so far. Meaning, it uses the input of age, gender, height, weight and activity level to give some sort of number back.

Eat back exercise calories and see how it works for you. That is the only way to really find out the right answer. If it doesn't work, just go back to "sedentary."
  • AJ_G
    Options

I don't believe so. The more active you are, the more energy your body requires even when you aren't working out. If someone who is very active maintains at 2500 calories a day, even on a day they don't workout, they still maintain on 2500 calories a day.

You can believe whatever you want, but you are wrong. By the nature of what TDEE is you DO NOT calculate any exercise calorie burn on top of it. Please stop confusing the OP
  • Wondertje
    Options
    Another question to those who say that when I put it to "Lightly Active" the calories are already included - how is that possible? It says in the description of that level that it's for someone who works out 1-3 times a week, wouldn't that give a range of calories to add depending on what I do and how often? How can just using "Lightly active" make up for 3 days of exercise when I don't add how much or how long I do it?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    If I change my TDEE to "Lightly active", can I still log my exercise here on MFP and eat the calories back as I've done

No

are they now calculated in to the numbers?

Yes

QFT...

OP, think about it...it's common sense...if you put yourself as sedentary and then log exercise separately and eat back those calories, that makes total sense...because you are doing something above and beyond sedentary...you are doing something that is unaccounted for in your activity level...you are doing something extra.

When you up your activity level to include your exercise...well...suffice it to say that now your calorie goal is going to include some estimate of that activity...thus eating back calories would be double dipping.

You need to pick a method and stick with it...either the TDEE method (include exercise in your activity level...you don't eat back...they are already accounted for) or the NEAT method (Log exercise separately and eat back estimated calories from unaccounted for activity).

I would also add that MFP is not a TDEE calculator...you're likely more than light active. I have a desk job and without deliberate exercise, I'm still light active...with my exercise I'm moderate active on most TDEE calculators and high active with MFP. You'll have to play with the numbers...lots of trial and error...just make adjustments to your intake as per your real world results...these calculators aren't the be all and end all, just a good starting point.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options

If you're sedentary it'll give you 2000 calories, if you're lightly active it'll give you 2300 calories. Exercise calories are already included. I never said change your activity level and eat the same amount as sedentary. Change your activity level and eat that new number.

**Numbers are just an example, not exact numbers.**
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

TDEE= Total Daily Energy Expenditure (BMR + Daily Activity + Exercise)
    You take a percent off this number and always eat it. If you have the correct activity level selected then you do not eat back exercise calories.

MFP doesn't do TDEE Method. I think that's where you getting confused. Lightly Active from MFP's activity list wouldn't include exercise and you would eat them back. Lightly Active on a TDEE calculator does take into account exercise, so you wouldn't eat them back.

So for your example, if the calculator says you burn 2500 with exercising 3 x per week. You would eat 2000 calories per day. Not 2000 calories + exercise burns.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Yeah, it can be confusing.

MFP is a NEAT calculator, which means (without getting into what the letters stand for) that it takes into account your non-exercise daily activity, but not exercise. That's why you log exercise and eat it back.

A TDEE calculator includes exercise, so you wouldn't eat it back. One benefit of this is that it's averaged over the days so you don't eat less on non-exercise days.

MFP's question about activity (unlike the one you might get with a TDEE calculator) means on a regular basis outside of exercise. For example, I live in a city and walk a lot, so I used to pick "lightly active" and then log and eat back my exercise (but never walking calories).

You could decide that you don't want to log and eat back exercise (I prefer the TDEE method right now myself) and try out lightly active but then you'd be using it as a replacement for the exercise calories (it's not an insignificant difference) so shouldn't eat them back.

You should consider whether you might be lightly active anyway, even not including your planned exercise. Most people probably are, as MFP's sedentary is really quite sedentary.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    edited December 2014
    Options

You can believe whatever you want, but you are wrong. By the nature of what TDEE is you DO NOT calculate any exercise calorie burn on top of it. Please stop confusing the OP

The OP is using MFP's calculator. It doesn't calculate in exercises it calculate sin daily activity level. So you are wrong and should probably stop confusing the OP.
  • AJ_G
    edited December 2014
    Options
    For those interested: (MFP default calculates your BMR+NEAT which is why you need to add in exercise if using that method.)

1. BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate): The amount of calories you need to consume to maintain your body if you were comatose (base level).

2. NEAT (Non-Exercise Associated Thermogenesis): The calorie of daily activity that is NOT exercise (eg: washing, walking, talking, shopping, working). ie: INCIDENTAL EXERCISE! It is something that everyone has a good amount of control over.

3. EAT (Exercise Associated Thermogenesis): The calorie requirements associated with planned exercise. Unless someone is doing a whole heap of exercise (eg: two or more hrs training a day) it usually doesn't add a stack of calories to your requirements (30 minutes of 'elliptical training isn't going to do it')

4. TEF (Thermic effect of feeding): The calorie expenditure associated with eating. REGARDLESS of what myths you have been told - this is NOT dependent on MEAL FREQUENCY. It is a % of TOTAL CALORIES CONSUMED (and 15% of 3 x 600 cal meals is the same as 15% of 6 x 300 cal meals). It varies according to MACRONUTRIENT content and FIBER content. For most mixed diets, it is something around 15%. Protein is higher (up to 25%), carbs are variable (between 5-25%), and fats are low (usually less than 5%). So -> More protein and more carbs and more fiber = HIGHER TEF. More FAT = LOWER TEF.

5. TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure): The total calories you require and the sum of the above (BMR + NEAT + EAT + TEF).
  • Wondertje
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    MFP is a NEAT calculator, which means (without getting into what the letters stand for) that it takes into account your non-exercise daily activity, but not exercise. That's why you log exercise and eat it back.

See, now that explains a lot of my confusion. Thank you!

Thanks for a great "debate" also, I'm taking as much in as a I can, and I usually try to google/look around to teach myself. But input from others always make me happy :smile:
  • AJ_G
    Options

The OP is using MFP's calculator. It doesn't calculate in exercises it calculate sin daily activity level. So you are wrong and should probably stop confusing the OP.

You didn't even read the whole original post did you? She's asking advice on what she should do IF she changes over to the TDEE system and you're giving her advice on the MFP default system. Please stop being confusing...
  • Wondertje
    edited December 2014
    Options

You didn't even read the whole original post did you? She's asking advice on what she should do IF she changes over to the TDEE system and you're giving her advice on the MFP default system. Please stop being confusing...

Actually, it's all my bad for this misunderstanding! I wasn't aware that MFP calculator wasn't a TDEE calculator, and as such called it TDEE when I didn't mean that. This has taught me a great deal though, so I do appreciate it! But please don't kill each other over my mistake :smile:

@AJ_G - That was a great break down of the different parts/things. Highly appreciated! :smile: