over 300 and doing turbo jam and walk away the pounds

Options
I am just wondering if other people have been my weight or bigger and used these two to help them lose weight. I want to find the best exercises that I can do....before people start suggesting exercises I have issues with flexibility because of my hips and knees.

Rebecca

Replies

• azwen
    azwen Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I haven't done Turbo Jam, but I think you may need to modify it if you have joint issues. Walk Away the Pounds is great, low impact, and easy.
  • EmotionalEater84
    EmotionalEater84 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    When I first weighed myself, which I do not imagine was at my biggest, I was 336lbs!

I didn't want anyone telling me what I could or couldn't do for exercises, so I did workouts that anyone would do. I really enjoy Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred at home and worked circuits and an elliptical at the gym. However, I also didn't have joint issues and don't to this day.

I hope you find what works for you :) If I can tell you anything, it's that everyone's different! Don't let people put you in a box here cuz they try ;)
  • PhillyShine215
    Options
    I recommend detoxing your body first. Then start modifying your diet (if you haven't done so already). I watched these two videos and found my holy grail for a food program. I recently lost 35 lbs in 4 months almost effortlessly but starting with detox, then making minor changes to my diet. I recommend "The Perfect Human Diet", and "Hungry For Change" both available on Netflix. I got myself a Nutribullet and love it. Once I lost the weight, I added in exercise and it's really all come together.

That's just my 2 cents. Best of luck with your program!
  • joseccastaneda
    joseccastaneda Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I cant speak to the two programs your talking about. However, i have deterioration of the hip joint and due to my age, i don't quality for a replacement just yet so the doctor tells me i have to wait a few years. About the only two forms of exercise i use are bike riding and swimming. I started at 530 lbs in April of 2014 and have managed to come down to 424. Working on getting down to 200 before reevaluating my goals.

When my hip isn't hurting as bad, i try the Leslie Sansone videos on youtube.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You don't need to detox. Do whatever exercise you are able to do. Walking is great.
  • kt_simms
    kt_simms Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm over 300 (even after losing 40 lbs) and I have used Turbo Jam before, but I don't have joint issues. I prefer Rockin' Body (one of Shaun T's programs from Beachbody) because, while it's still aerobic/cardio, it's not quite as much as TJ and I had trouble keeping up with the TJ choreography after the Learn and Burn video. (It's actually my plan to start incorporating TJ into my weekly video routine.)

Walking is good option if you have flexibility and joint issues. The Leslie Sansone videos on YouTube are nice because there are many options available for free.

For what it's worth, I found that as I exercised more, issues I had started to improve. The plantar fasciitis and tendinitis I had in one foot/ankle has mostly disappeared, my flexibility and coordination have improved, and I just feel better. So, maybe start with walking until you feel some improvement and then move on to TJ. Though, personally, I just dive in!
  • RebeccaMaunder
    RebeccaMaunder Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Thank you for replying. Jose that is amazing. I hope to be as successful. I'm not sure about detoxing but I know I'm more of a jump in type person... So far without too many issues. I guess I just want to know more of what people find successful and if I'm doing the right thing. Your replies do help though.
  • performfully
    performfully Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    My start weight was 210, but I just wanted to say I LOVE Turbo Jam! I have heart problems as well as 1000 nagging aches and pains, but Turbo Jam and calorie deficit lost me 35 lbs! I took a 2 month break and now started it again, can't wait to see more results. It's so easy to modify when I need to, and it's about the highest level of cardio I can handle right now. If your joints are okay with it, I highly recommend it.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    The best kind of exercise to do is the kind you like and will stick with :) I've done turbo jam (I started at over 400 lbs) and I did have to modify some moves because of my bad joints and back but I still did it at my own pace at first, and it was fun! I also jogged my first 5k at over 400 lbs. Just do what you can, and don't over do it.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Thank you for replying. Jose that is amazing. I hope to be as successful. I'm not sure about detoxing but I know I'm more of a jump in type person... So far without too many issues. I guess I just want to know more of what people find successful and if I'm doing the right thing. Your replies do help though.

What is successful is creating a calorie deficit. You do this by eating less, or moving more, or a combination of them both. Of course exercise has many other health benefits so it is good for anyone who is able to exercise to do so. It doesn't matter what kind of exercise you do, as long as you are not risking injury. And it should be one that you enjoy so that you want to keep doing it! Initially you should see quite a difference, and this will encourage you to keep going too. (*)