Barre? Tabata? Other random group ex. classes?

Options
What categories do people use to log these types of exercise classes? Aerobics? Calisthenics? Barre isn't really aerobic. I guess it could qualify under "weights". I don't have a HR monitor or anything like a fitbit to help me figure out how many calories I'm burning (fitbit people: would it help if I had one?). I know that a lot of people out there are doing CrossFit and other High Intensity Interval Training. Any ideas?

Replies

• DarbiB
    DarbiB Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My fitbit helps with more aerobic-type classes (ie Cardio Kickboxing/Zumba). I also do a team weight training class 2x/week. I just dont log it. Sorry, I know that's not really helpful.
  • corinic91
    corinic91 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I used to do PureBarre 3-5 times/week and would log it as Pilates. The calorie burn was never that huge (I wore a HRM to a few classes just to see, but because the cardio work was so minimal, I'm not sure how accurate it was), but I definitely noticed changes in my body.
  • acarr4u
    acarr4u Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    DarbiB, I also do a cardio kickboxing class but don't have anything to track calories. What would you log that as in the exercise category, aerobics, circuit training, etc?
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I do all straight cardio as aerobics, anything remotely pilates-like as pilates, and anything with mixed cardio/weights as circuit training.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    I do all straight cardio as aerobics, anything remotely pilates-like as pilates, and anything with mixed cardio/weights as circuit training.

I would agree mostly with this except for pilates. It doesn't typically burn as many calories as the other ones (even though I agree it is difficult, it's just not a calorie burner). So I would also log it as circuit.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Ah I change the default calories by @half anyway :)
  • hummingbirdhope
    hummingbirdhope Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    mohawkRN wrote: »
    What categories do people use to log these types of exercise classes? Aerobics? Calisthenics? Barre isn't really aerobic. I guess it could qualify under "weights". I don't have a HR monitor or anything like a fitbit to help me figure out how many calories I'm burning (fitbit people: would it help if I had one?). I know that a lot of people out there are doing CrossFit and other High Intensity Interval Training. Any ideas?

Bump.

Im confused by this too. I do a barre class every day. The studio says that you burn "between 300-500 calories per class"

I can only assume that at 5'4 108 lb I don't burn that much....
  • mohawkRN
    mohawkRN Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I doubt that it burns 500 calories, since I only burn about 470-480 in an all-out cardio spin class. Pilates makes sense for barre - I would say it's somewhere in the 170-180 calorie range. I suppose I could just not log it also. Thanks for the suggestions!
  • corinic91
    corinic91 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I used to do barre and always logged it as pilates. You definitely do not burn between 300-500 calories per class unless it's a cardio based barre studio. The biggest range of motion I had in my class was the warm up...
  • emilyrtanner
    emilyrtanner Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I work my butt off in class. I am sweating and heart is pounding during the warm up, the thigh and seat work, and parts of abs. Maybe not 300-500, but definitely more than 170-180.