C25K Repeating Weeks to Build Yourself Up?

Options
I plan to start C25K within the next week or two (building myself up with brisk walks), but all the programs are 8 to 9 weeks and as a chubby, out of shape mid-century model with a finicky knee, I know I'm going to struggle when it kicks up in intensity. Has anyone done modifications to repeat the weeks rather than finishing in 8/9? What schedule did you use, or did you just play it by ear? I'm in no hurry to finish it because I'm not training for a race, just doing it for exercise and health, although a fun run is not out of the question at some point.

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    You're not failing if you repeat a week. That schedule is just a program to get you to the next level. If you can't finish it then just keep practicing. Even after you finish you'll have some days where a 5k feels difficult and some days where you love it. Just keep doing it and stick with the program. The important thing is that you don't give up.

It's more important to gradually increase your running so if you have a bad knee take it easy and don't be in a hurry to advance to the next stage.
  • limetree683
    limetree683 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I just took it really slow - if I couldn't complete a work out, I'd just stop and try for a little more next time.

I just played it by ear really. So when I was even more unfit than I am now, if I couldn't, say, complete Week4 Day1, I'd just keep chipping away at that for the rest of the week. Once I could do that part of the programme, I'd assume that was the start of my week 4 proper and do that 3 times (to be my W4 Days 1,2,3) before moving on to week 5. The important thing is to improve your fitness a little bit at a time without injuring yourself.
  • MamaGab92
    MamaGab92 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I was just where you were last spring. I wanted to run for health more than for a specific race. I did the C25K program and took WAAAY longer than the 8 weeks my program specified. I was (and am) 50 lbs overweight so I'm sure that was part of it. I repeated most weeks at least once, sometimes several times. Like you, the end date wasn't important to me as much as just not quitting. Finally in October I finished the program and had gotten up to running 30 minutes at a time. I still can't run a full 5K, but I can run 30 minutes (really slowly). At this point I am running 30 minutes 3 times a week hoping to build up my time.

As for specifically what I did, I just played it by ear. If I couldn't complete a workout as it was written, I just repeated it the next time until I could finish it. Then I'd move on.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    IamMCM wrote: »
    I plan to start C25K within the next week or two (building myself up with brisk walks), but all the programs are 8 to 9 weeks and as a chubby, out of shape mid-century model with a finicky knee, I know I'm going to struggle when it kicks up in intensity. Has anyone done modifications to repeat the weeks rather than finishing in 8/9? What schedule did you use, or did you just play it by ear? I'm in no hurry to finish it because I'm not training for a race, just doing it for exercise and health, although a fun run is not out of the question at some point.

I started May 5th and ran my 5k August 24th-ish. I repeated each week I felt I was struggling too much. The long runs, 8/10 minutes runs, were the hardest.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    You have the right attitude. Don't feel you need to push yourself if you aren't comfortable but also realize that a lot of what we think we can't do is mental. It's really easy to say "I've already run for 3 minutes, I don't think I can go for another 2" when in reality you can. The trick is finding the right balance between pushing yourself and pushing yourself too far.

I started C25K in 2011 a few weeks after my 45th birthday. I ended up creating a "Week 0" for myself because I couldn't run the whole distance required in Week 1. By the time I got to Week 4, my sister who has completed several marathons, turned me on to Jeff Galloway's run/walk program. Frankly, I've found that I prefer to run and walk in intervals, however long those intervals might be. I've completed around a dozen or so half marathons that way and at a pace that would be faster than if I were just running the whole distance. But that's me.

The point is, it's all about what is best for you and your body. If you need to repeat weeks, repeat them. Just don't let the fear of next week's running interval talk you into repeating when you just might surprise yourself.
  • Christi102012
    Christi102012 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I've known people who did each week twice. You can make the program as long as you need it. The important part is that you're getting out there and exercising. Run slow enough that you can still talk. This will help make sure you're not running too fast. You shouldn't be completely out of breath. Good luck!
  • IamMCM
    IamMCM Posts: 122
    Options
    Thanks! You're all so inspiring! I've got 50 pounds to lose, so I know the "baggage" will slow me down, but I remind myself how much easier it will feel to run and exercise once I lost the extra weight. The knee problem is from an old injury that likes to flare up now that I'm getting older, but I don't mind a slow pace as long as I'm sit getting out there regularly. I literally live next door to a walking/running/biking path in a warm climate, so no excuse.