Need support moving into action

Options
I started at mfp in September and have adjusted my goals over time. Since I have read the message boards, I took on the message that I could not restrict foods, just stay within my goals. Everything in moderation. I was doing okay at that and I am losing.

Recently I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I saw a dietician and she gave me some different macro and calorie goals. I am doing okay, but I am half-assing it and I know. I am having a hard time accepting that it's real. I have seen the numbers (My dr did catch it early but my fasting glucose is high). It runs in my family. I am the only one with weight issues,

I don't want diet advice. I am going to try what the dietician told me first and see how my numbers go. Maybe some input from others who have turned their numbers around. My triglycerides are high, too. My dr says that it isn't uncommon for lipids to go wacky with high blood sugar (not her words). So, I really need to watch carbs and alcohol. I am taking metformin.

I don't know what I expect from this post. I have motivation with my health and i know what to do- I just feel like mentally I don't really get that it is something I need to deal with now and not put off anymore. I did join the type 2 diabetes group here, but it doesn't seem very active.

Replies

• ankdworak
    ankdworak Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I don't have type 2 diabetes experience but at my last Dr. appointment my levels were higher than normal so i was heading that way. If you want support and encouragement for the journey, feel free to add me. You can do this, one day at a time. ankdworak
  • cutenikki07
    cutenikki07 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I am sorry to hear that, I will add you so we can chat more in depth but I would love to hear what your dietician gave you, what you are stuggling with etc! I have had friends who needed to lose weight and get their levels down and they did it naturally and with a normal diet. :)
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    Learning you have diabetes and coming to terms with the lifelong changes you're making to improve your health and manage blood sugar levels can be difficult, and I'm glad you're using this forum to meet with others. What do you think would be the most helpful things you can get from this group? I know you'll find support and encouragement. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Thanks Lynn. I am not sure what I need. I just know I need to make changes. I think there are meetings I can go to, I have to ask. I just know me, and I know I am not changing behaviors as quickly as I could.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I don't have diabetes, but I had a major problem. If I didn't change, there was a good shot I would die.

Nothing like Fear Of Death to motivate ya!!

I went from eating total crap all the time to eating no fat (like 3 a day), low sodium, and few added sugars. All healthy, all the time.

And Holy God was it hard at first. After about 18 months, things were better, physically. Now, I've gone off the hook eating salt and fat I shouldn't because they gave me an inch and I took a mile. But it was all coming to a head, anyway, because I was eating less and less...because I was just so sick of eating boring food, lol. Plus, it fills you up.

I don't eat ice cream and cakes and crap stuff very often, but too much processed stuff, for sure. I need to get back on the wagon.

But my stuff improved. I can now work on being healthy instead of working on Not Dying. I'm very lucky, very happy and a little bit proud of me.

It's great to work in lots of junk food if you can and you want to, but it's also great to eat healthy!!!

When all else fails, do what the doctors say: Eat right and exercise. Surprise, surprise, sometimes following the doctor's advice...WORKS! Who'd have guessed? ;)

I have a good feeling about you. You'll do it right and get better. :D
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Thanks. You should be proud.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    have you gotten down to business yet? are you keeping it up?
This discussion has been closed.