Coffee - Good or Bad?

Options

Replies

• No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    caffeine itself shouldn't be a deterrent to losing weight, but putting cream and sugar in your coffee could be
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

YesIAm17 wrote: »
    I prefer pure caffeine powder mixed with pure L-theanine in a 2:1 ratio... order each, small spoons, and a scale from Amazon. Mix in super hot water. Add choice of sweetener.

Doesn't stain your teeth, better than any energy shot, and sooo strong. 0 cal, 0 carb, 0 fat.

I bet it doesn't taste like a dark roast with cream and sugar.

• No_Finish_Line
    Options
    CarrieCans wrote: »
    Oh wow i forgot i have caffeine powder. Leftover from my homemade redbull replacement. That didn't go well.

I wonder how that would be added to my coffee!

omg my roommate stole pure caffeine from the lab in college. wanted to use it to be peppy in class/study. would apply straight to the gums. and thing more then the tiniest bit would make you puke
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    tchell99 wrote: »
    sheepotato wrote: »
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=agusq6xfefI

I'm going to have the coffee song in my head for the rest of the day now.

A little sad, cause I thought you meant the one by Sinatra. :(

I'm pretty sad I had never heard that song before today.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I think the key factor with coffee is the amount of sugar and milk/creamer involved.

Black coffee, in reasonable amounts, can be very beneficial to your health and overall performance. With black coffee, you are getting a good amount of the antioxidants with no calories or fat.

I would just make sure you drink plenty of water because all caffeine dehydrates you. And monitor anything you add to your coffee.

I drink mine with a dash of unsweetened almond milk. Very few calories, little carbs and no sugar in the unsweetened kind. It also takes away the bitterness coffee can have.
    Coffee does not dehydrate you. The water in the coffee more than offsets the small diuretic effect of caffeine. Also, health benefits for coffee seem to hit their peak at about 6 cups a day.

And just just my personal opinion, but...
    firstworldfacts_caffeine.gif
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Oh wow i forgot i have caffeine powder. Leftover from my homemade redbull replacement. That didn't go well.

omg my roommate stole pure caffeine from the lab in college. wanted to use it to be peppy in class/study. would apply straight to the gums. and thing more then the tiniest bit would make you puke

Ewwwww i would never. That tastes nasty alone. It's really good in jello shots.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Well, my sobriquet is not Goddess of Java due to my programming skill, so I gotta go with coffee being a great goodness.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

Ewwwww i would never. That tastes nasty alone. It's really good in jello shots.

incredibly foul taste
  • tchell99
    tchell99 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    tchell99 wrote: »
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=agusq6xfefI

I'm going to have the coffee song in my head for the rest of the day now.

A little sad, cause I thought you meant the one by Sinatra. :(

I'm pretty sad I had never heard that song before today.

It's catchy, right?
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of a discussion I had with my then first-grader and his gym teacher.
    They were starting on nutrition and discussing "no" foods and "go" foods.
    My son came home and said, "Mom, Mrs. Soandso says coffee is a 'no' food.

I'll say the same thing here I said to my son: "Mommy drinks coffee. Mommy doesn't bring a flamethrower to work. Coffee is good."

*for the serious types out there, I also had a discussion with him about why coffee is a no food for kids, and later a very serious chat with the gym teacher who also told him that peanut butter was a no food.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    And later a very serious chat with the gym teacher who also told him that peanut butter was a no food.

Did the gym teacher say peanut butter was a 'no food' all the time, or a 'no food' at school?

If the latter, it could be because so many kids have peanut allergies these days, so most schools and daycares are strictly peanut-free.
  • YesIAm17
    YesIAm17 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    YesIAm17 wrote: »
    I prefer pure caffeine powder mixed with pure L-theanine in a 2:1 ratio... order each, small spoons, and a scale from Amazon. Mix in super hot water. Add choice of sweetener.

Doesn't stain your teeth, better than any energy shot, and sooo strong. 0 cal, 0 carb, 0 fat.

I bet it doesn't taste like a dark roast with cream and sugar.

Not even close, but it's still pretty awesome.
  • waltcote
    waltcote Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    What's the saying? Gimme my coffee and no body gets hurt?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I make my coffee in a French Press and put a tablespoon of cocoa powder in with the grounds. I also drink it with low fat half and half. I allow for the calories and log it. Doing this every day keeps me sane. I just started on MFP, but I've lost 7 pounds in 3 weeks, so I seem to be doing fine.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    tigersword wrote: »
    I think the key factor with coffee is the amount of sugar and milk/creamer involved.

Black coffee, in reasonable amounts, can be very beneficial to your health and overall performance. With black coffee, you are getting a good amount of the antioxidants with no calories or fat.

I would just make sure you drink plenty of water because all caffeine dehydrates you. And monitor anything you add to your coffee.

I drink mine with a dash of unsweetened almond milk. Very few calories, little carbs and no sugar in the unsweetened kind. It also takes away the bitterness coffee can have.
    Coffee does not dehydrate you. The water in the coffee more than offsets the small diuretic effect of caffeine. Also, health benefits for coffee seem to hit their peak at about 6 cups a day.

And just just my personal opinion, but...
    firstworldfacts_caffeine.gif

Yeah!! With coffee cups this big!! :smiley:

pop-ink-csa-images-woman-holding-a-huge-cup-of-coffee.jpg
  • Lalalindaloo
    Lalalindaloo Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    If it's bad then I don't wanna be good. And actually, I wouldn't be able to function enough to be good. Or bad.

This is the mug my co-workers bought for me:

• IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Caffeine helps curb my hunger and seems to help my endurance. So coffee and tea is a big yes for weight loss to me. I find I want to eat more and am less motivated in general if I don't have something in the morning. It can be difference between a 1300 cal. day and a 2300 cal. day. So I try not to mess with the formula...
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    graphics-coffee-351814.gif
  • greenminimalist
    Options
    graphics-coffee-351814.gif

Exactly
  • corinic91
    corinic91 Posts: 148 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options