Building muscle at the same time as losing fat

Options
Is it possible to do both? From what I understand to lose fat you need to eat at a deficit and to build muscle you need to eat at maintenance or high (am I wrong here?)

What can you do to promote these processes other than the obvious do strength training, eating plenty protein and eating at a deficit (not sure about the last one)?

Replies

• redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    You just opened a Poop storm...lol Enjoy!
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options

My thoughts exactly.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options

See previous posts. This is a great one for everyone to "weigh" in on.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'm in just to read the responses.

...but to my knowledge the only way that you can do both is if you are a newbie or obese (for a minimal amount of time). Or a body recomposition while eating at maintenance, but is a very slow process.

You are correct. To lose fat, you eat in a deficit. To gain muscle, you eat in a surplus.

To gain muscle you must eat adequate protein and lift heavy while eating in a surplus.

To lose fat you must eat in a calorie deficit. Still eat adequate protein and lift weights or do other strength exercises, so that you maintain your current muscle mass.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,614 Member
    Options
    Recomp is possible. It just takes a long time to see significant results.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • MidoriRyu76
    MidoriRyu76 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I don't know the science behind it but I have a lot of fat to lose. I notice that I have more muscle but my hips are smaller so I seem to be losing fat and gaining muscle. I just went into my settings and I set my protein % higher without changing my calories. I'm losing a little slower than I was 2 weeks ago but I'm still losing.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,614 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I don't know the science behind it but I have a lot of fat to lose. I notice that I have more muscle but my hips are smaller so I seem to be losing fat and gaining muscle. I just went into my settings and I set my protein % higher without changing my calories. I'm losing a little slower than I was 2 weeks ago but I'm still losing.
    You may see more muscle due to fat loss, but that doesn't necessarily mean that muscle was gained in the process. It's actually quite hard to gain muscle in deficit.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• NotGnarly
    NotGnarly Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm obese and started lifting heavy almost a week ago. My goal is to maintain muscle or build some, while losing fat at the same time. I eat between 1900-2000 cals a day, so not a huge deficit but I figured I should feed the muscle that I do have. I'm a newb so not experienced enough to give advice.
  • greenfirearm
    greenfirearm Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    You can strengthen muscles, definitely, whilst losing weight.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Recomp is possible. It just takes a long time to see significant results.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Agreed.

Yes, it's very possible. Yes, it's exceptionally slow, and visible results take much longer to see than with the more common bulk/cut approach.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    You can strengthen muscles, definitely, whilst losing weight.

Also agreed.

Realize that getting stronger isn't the same as building new muscle.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    It's important to lift while eating in a deficit to keep your body from using muscle along with fat stores to make up the energy it isn't getting from food. And if you're new to lifting, this can even inspire some modest gains as long as your deficit isn't too severe and you eat plenty of protein. But for the most part, gaining significant muscle at a deficit doesn't happen.

What some people do is "recomp" or recomposition. They cycle eating at a deficit on rest days (15-20%) and a slight surplus on workout days (10%). I've also seen advice to increase the proportion of carbs on workout days for energy, and of protein on rest days for recovery.
  • missylectro
    missylectro Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    It's important to lift while eating in a deficit to keep your body from using muscle along with fat stores to make up the energy it isn't getting from food. And if you're new to lifting, this can even inspire some modest gains as long as your deficit isn't too severe and you eat plenty of protein. But for the most part, gaining significant muscle at a deficit doesn't happen.

What some people do is "recomp" or recomposition. They cycle eating at a deficit on rest days (15-20%) and a slight surplus on workout days (10%). I've also seen advice to increase the proportion of carbs on workout days for energy, and of protein on rest days for recovery.

Thank you, that's really helpful. Thanks everybody!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Yes it is possible. Size of deficit, age, athletic experience, macros, training program, genetics will all be factors though and I would not expect a lot.

Interesting article on it.
    http://spotmebro.com/lose-fat-gain-muscle/
  • Jdigs88
    Jdigs88 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I had really low muscle mass for my weight - still do - (body fat percentage was high). After 6 weeks with my personal trainer, we did another body assessment, and it gave body fat percentage, lean muscle mass, etc. and I'd gained 5 lbs of muscle. I have also lost roughly 5lbs in that time period.

So, I don't know what is and isn't possible according to common practice or once you're in decent shape, but for someone pretty obese with high body fat, it was feasible for me to lose weight AND gain muscle. Losing slowed down, but inches came off more quickly.
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I really would not worry to much about it. Go lift and follow your diet and focus on those and you will see positive changes. There will become a point where you get down to a low body fat percentage that you can start to consider these types of problems. If you are a noob lifter and have over 20 percent body fat, I really don't see how it matters.

Where I currently am, I know that if I ate more I would be stronger with my lifts, but being stronger is not my main goal. My main goal is fat loss. So I put up with being weaker for now so I can continue to drop weight while I continue to lift and try to maintain as much muscle as possible as I lose the fat.

Total body recomp while losing weight and not losing muscle while you do it is everyones hope while losing weight and lifting, it is the unicorn of weight lifting.
  • AlinaRose17
    AlinaRose17 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    It is absolutely possible. Keep protein high to feed muscles, and healthy fats high. Moderate carb intake, or at the very least time intake to right when you wake up and/or right after your workout (strength train) to replace muscle glycogen that was lost during lifting. Keep no more than a 500 calorie deficit at any given time. Also try intermittent fasting along with carb backloading and also monitor your sodium intake in conjunction with getting enough water to AVOID retaining it.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Romey84 wrote: »
    It is absolutely possible. Keep protein high to feed muscles, and healthy fats high. Moderate carb intake, or at the very least time intake to right when you wake up and/or right after your workout (strength train) to replace muscle glycogen that was lost during lifting. Keep no more than a 500 calorie deficit at any given time. Also try intermittent fasting along with carb backloading and also monitor your sodium intake in conjunction with getting enough water to AVOID retaining it.

Yikes... that sounds like a lot of work.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about building muscle when you lose weight. You can definitely build strength, though! Keep lifting.
  • splashtree5
    splashtree5 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Yes is possible you are lucky if you do cardio after training and you weigh lift.