Starting Stronglifts - looking for tips!

Options
So after much research over the past few days I've decided that I'm going to start Stronglifts 5x5. I'm not new to weight training, but I am new to a structured plan. As I got lucky and have always been naturally muscular for a gal, I've always wanted to harness this and get strong and awesome. I started losing weight in March of this year and wasn't extremely consistent doing weights because motivation comes and goes. However lately some switch flipped in my head and I've been so jazzed about weights that I'm starting to dread cardio days.

Most of this year I've been using the company gym doing dumbbell isolation lifts and I have made pretty good progress, but I have this nagging feeling that I'm not doing as well for my muscles as I could be without using the barbell. I should note that I am still eating at a deficit based on TDEE and I'm not doing a bulk cycle as I have quite a bit of fat left to lose.

I just returned from doing a dry run with the empty bar to make sure my form is in check before I officially start. Luckily my company has one of those fancy ProSpot systems with an automatic lock if you let go of the bar so I don't need a spotter, which is a relief because I'm typically the only person in there. This round was quite easy, we'll see how long that lasts lol.

So anyways, if you're bearing with my rambling, thank you. I'm looking for advice from anyone (especially from my fellow ladies) who has completed the program or is doing it now. Also I'm always looking for ladies around my age (I'm 23) who are into strength training, so if that's you, add me!

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• LazyFoodie
    LazyFoodie Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    There is an awesome Stronglifts 5x5 for women group. A lot of us are doing it while losing weight. The program starts with the empty bar on most lifts btw so you are ahead of the game. Download the Stronglifts app on your phone to keep track of your workouts.
  • erocks308
    Options
    Once you start moving more weight I'd recommend paying the extra $2 for the warmup sets.

Completing the program is a pretty long process - at least if you're following Mehdi 's advice. You'd have stalled out and deloaded a few times and then switched to 3x5 before that happened and then would move on to something for intermediate lifters.

Eat right and get plenty of rest. Enjoy the period where it's easier, because eventually it gets pretty taxing both physically and mentally. Very rewarding to see how quickly you improve though.

Don't cheat it. If you fail to get your reps in, no big deal. It's part of the process. Just come back next time and try again. Don't sacrifice form or risk injury just to say you got all your reps in.
  • erocks308
    Options
    Also might be worth picking up some smaller fractional plates. Adding 5lbs to Press and Bench will be pretty difficult after a short while.
  • AmZam05
    AmZam05 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    erocks308 wrote: »
    Also might be worth picking up some smaller fractional plates. Adding 5lbs to Press and Bench will be pretty difficult after a short while.

Yeah I was just looking into those since the smallest plates down in the gym are the 2.5's.

Thanks! :)
  • erocks308
    Options
    No prob. May want to look into a pair of Chuck Taylors sometime as well. If you don't already have a flat soled shoe to lift in. Not as important at the outset, but certainly is as your squats get heavier.

Other than that, enjoy the challenge and remember it's a long haul thing. Results come quickly as a beginner, but it still takes time. In three months you'll be pretty amazed at what you can do though.

You'll have ups and downs. Some days you'll feel like beast and others you'll feel like the weakest person on the planet. Roll with it and don't try to outsmart the program.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Go slow. Increase weight gradually. Other than that, have fun with it! B)
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Figuring out proper form is more important than being able to increase weight. Read and watch videos about form. Some of the best form advice I've read was in Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 book, but I wouldn't recommend that routine til you've been lifting for quite a while.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Rippetoe's "Starting Strength" is worthwhile for learning form. His videos on YouTube are a good companion to the book.

Once you get into it, I'd be interested to hear your opinion on the ProSpot.
  • AmZam05
    Options
    rick_po wrote: »
    Once you get into it, I'd be interested to hear your opinion on the ProSpot.

After I figured out how it worked, I thought it was really cool. Pretty much all I know at the moment is that it's an olympic bar on a cable with a pressure sensor. It will only release if you are firmly gripped to the pressure sensor, otherwise the bar is locked in place. There's also a bar for lat pull downs and a bunch of other hooks and cables in various places. I don't know a lot about machines but it looks like it has a ton of uses.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    AmZam05 wrote: »
    After I figured out how it worked, I thought it was really cool. Pretty much all I know at the moment is that it's an olympic bar on a cable with a pressure sensor. It will only release if you are firmly gripped to the pressure sensor, otherwise the bar is locked in place. There's also a bar for lat pull downs and a bunch of other hooks and cables in various places. I don't know a lot about machines but it looks like it has a ton of uses.

Cool. When your weights get heavy, I wonder if the spotting system still works OK. Or if there's a weight limit. The sales video I saw was too low quality to see much detail.

Thanks for the info, and good luck with the program! I think you'll enjoy it.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing StrongLifts and have started and stopped a few times over the past year or so -- however now I'm making some steady progress and actually enjoying lifting -- I'd recommend using Vibram FiveFingers as lifting footwear -- they let you get your feet flat and low on the ground during those heavy squats and deads. The thing that encouraged me the most about the program was when I first started, I felt great lifting 95 pounds 5x5 and then eventually 135 pounds 5x5 and now they are part of my warm up routine and they feel so light now -- in another few months my 190 pound squats will probably feel light as well.
  • jesiann2014
    jesiann2014 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    kjm3579 wrote: »
    The thing that encouraged me the most about the program was when I first started, I felt great lifting 95 pounds 5x5 and then eventually 135 pounds 5x5 and now they are part of my warm up routine and they feel so light now -- in another few months my 190 pound squats will probably feel light as well.

That is very encouraging. :)
  • haley183
    haley183 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    nancy274 wrote: »
    There is an awesome Stronglifts 5x5 for women group. A lot of us are doing it while losing weight. The program starts with the empty bar on most lifts btw so you are ahead of the game. Download the Stronglifts app on your phone to keep track of your workouts.

Where is this supposed awesome Stronglifts 5x5 for women group? I just started last week and I am using the app. I am new to weightlifting and have been looking for other women doing stronglifts too. I'll be doing day 4 tomorrow!
  • goanothermile
    goanothermile Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for a few months.

Definitely get the smartphone app and the warm-up addition.

The app recommends adding weight every workout until you fail, then you deload, and work back up.

I used the recommendation at the beginning. I have taken a more cautious approach as weight gets heavier. I stick with a plateau on a particular exercise for several sessions before trying to move up. My goal is to get more fit, not necessarily to get big or achieve a certain lifting goal.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I used the recommendation at the beginning. I have taken a more cautious approach as weight gets heavier. I stick with a plateau on a particular exercise for several sessions before trying to move up. My goal is to get more fit, not necessarily to get big or achieve a certain lifting goal.

Same here.

OP do come and join the 5x5 group, the posters there are very knowledgeable and supportive.

• LazyFoodie
    LazyFoodie Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    haley183 wrote: »
    nancy274 wrote: »

Where is this supposed awesome Stronglifts 5x5 for women group? I just started last week and I am using the app. I am new to weightlifting and have been looking for other women doing stronglifts too. I'll be doing day 4 tomorrow!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

come and join.
  • AmZam05
    Options
    I joined the group. Thanks everyone for the input, I really appreciate it! Nothing like starting something new to make yourself feel completely clueless haha. But this all really helped and I'm really excited to get started officially and start adding weight.