Protein help

I thought protein was supposed to help suppress hunger- I had a protein shake for breakfast, a healthy lunch including a greek yogurt, and I have still felt extremely hungry. Is it because I am just starting? Will it get better?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Knowing the calorie content would help. Adding a complex carbohydrate will extend the satiation. Like a salad with croutons at lunch.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    If that's all you've had, maybe you're just not eating enough. Protein shakes aren't meant to be meal replacements. They're supplements.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    I think it varies per person. Protein doesnt "satisfy" me - even tho I am not technically "hungry" so much after eating it, I am still wanting to eat. If I throw some fat in with it though, I am less likely to continue looking for more.
    -
    - Experiment and see what combo of F/P/C works best to keep you satisfied the longest!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    In addition to what the others have said, what kind of protein shake did you have? Many of them have a LOT of sugar in them, which will not do anything to help you feel full.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Actually pretty normal to feel a bit hungry the first week or two of starting this program, especially if you've cut your calories dramatically from what your body was used to eating beforehand.

If you still feel hungry all the time after a week or two, it's likely you're not eating enough. What are your stats (height/weight/age) and what's your calorie goal?
  • In addition to what the others have said, what kind of protein shake did you have? Many of them have a LOT of sugar in them, which will not do anything to help you feel full.
    It was Body Fortress Whey protein isolate?- I added a bit of banana and a tbsp of peanut butter- was starving in another 2 hours
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    I think there is something to the protein being more filing. 300 calories of chicken is going to feel like more food then 300 calories of candy bar, both while your eating and after.

I do think that if you were over eating for awhile then even eating at maintenance you might feel hungry, maybe even considerably hungry. but if that continues for a few weeks your probably eating a bit too little.
  • segacs wrote: »
    Actually pretty normal to feel a bit hungry the first week or two of starting this program, especially if you've cut your calories dramatically from what your body was used to eating beforehand.

If you still feel hungry all the time after a week or two, it's likely you're not eating enough. What are your stats (height/weight/age) and what's your calorie goal?

I appreciate everyone's input! cal goal is 1400 cals/day- STATS are 5'2", 230, 33
  • segacs
    Mcbeal1230 wrote: »
    I appreciate everyone's input! cal goal is 1400 cals/day- STATS are 5'2", 230, 33

Then you're probably eating too little. This may vary based on body fat, level of daily activity, etc. but your sedentary TDEE is estimated at somewhere in the neighbourhood of 2045 calories/day. A 20% deficit would mean you should eat between 1630 (sedentary) and 1875 (lightly active) -- maybe more if you're working out a lot.
  • allanakern
    allanakern Posts: 245 Member
    1400 is definitely too low for your stats. try 1800
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Recheck your calorie intake. Aim for 1 pound loss a week.

You can also try eating snacks so you don't have to wait so long between meals. Just keep your daily intake around your MFP number and you should see results.

If just starting and you have cut what you normally eat to what you are eating now drastically - you will be "hungry" for a few weeks. It takes your body time to readjust. It becomes used to eating a certain amount, at certain times, and certain foods.

As far as the protein goes - I find eating protein seems to fill me up better than drinking it.

Best of luck!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    1400 is way too low for your size and gender. I lost steadily as a 5'4" woman on 1600 calories a day.
  • segacs
    Also: You really don't need to bother with protein powders and shakes unless you find you're regularly not getting enough protein from your diet. Most people do just fine with their regular food intake. Just eat lean meats, fish and vegetable protein sources as part of your diet and see how you do. If you're getting between 15-35% of your calories from protein, you're probably okay.

**Not to disparage protein powders and shakes... if people like them or swear by them, that's fine. There's nothing wrong with them. But there's also no reason why you *have* to eat them if you don't enjoy them, either.
  • Hmm...I was given 1400 by the doc to aim for a .5lb weight loss per week. Now I am questioning this ~
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Agree you need to look at calorie goals 1400 is low I am at 1500 and maintaining but I am also 130lbs at 5'3 and eat all exercise calories back.
    If you eat at a higher level and watch the sugar in some protein powder you will find protein will satisfy. I also do eat snacks daily that can be 1-3 snacks a day
  • ken_m
    ken_m Posts: 128
    People are guesstimating caloric needs without knowing activity levels? Brb stats out of nowhere
  • segacs
    Hmm...I was given 1400 by the doc to aim for a .5lb weight loss per week. Now I am questioning this ~

I would really question that if I were you, too. A 0.5lb/week loss would imply that your TDEE is only 1650. Which is very unlikely at your height and weight. I'd suggest a second opinion on that one.
  • sheepybebe
    sheepybebe Posts: 7 Member
    In addition to what the others have said, what kind of protein shake did you have? Many of them have a LOT of sugar in them, which will not do anything to help you feel full.
    It was Body Fortress Whey protein isolate?- I added a bit of banana and a tbsp of peanut butter- was starving in another 2 hours

As somebody else mentioned, a protein shake is not meant to be a meal replacement, so try to have it in addition to a well-balanced breakfast. Try having some eggs, bacon and wholegrain bread at breakfast to keep you full until lunch, or have a mid morning snack.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Body Fortress fills me up more than any other protein powder.

If you want to feel full eat lots of fiber. Get a head of lettuce, dump some Franks Hot Sauce on it, and om nom nom. That's what I do when I don't want to eat a lot of calories.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member

Try it without the banana, which is one of the highest sugar fruits. Look for other sources of fiber, since your protein powder doesn't have any.

Better yet, eat food. Spread your peanut butter on an apple, for example.