Over Indulging

Options
Does anyone have any good tips or tricks for when you let yourself eat one bad meal, not to totally spiral out of control and eat REALLY bad for a day or two? Maybe longer? I am one of those personalities where when I indulge I go way overboard.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Why do you spiral out of control? is it because you feel guilty for eating a "bad" meal and think you've ruined your good work?

I don't see food as good or bad anymore. I can eat whatever I like in moderation and no longer need to overeat - I used to binge a lot when my diet was restricted and I wasn't "allowed" a lot of foods. Eat nutritiously most of the time, but know that you can have whatever you like if you really want it. allocate a little bit of what you like in to your day....this may stop you feeling the need to eat everything in site?
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Try to looking at your calorie goal as a weekly goal instead of a daily goal. It's easier to go a little lighter on days when you are less hungry to allow for bigger meals when you feel like you need to eat more at once. When I first started I would stay a bit under all week so I had more calories on the weekends. I was able to go out and it helped me meet my goal each week.

Try to remember that your setback is temporary or possibly won't even matter by week's end and don't let it be an excuse to over do it further. Or accept that you will be a week behind with your goals, but you can just brush it off and keep going.
  • fit4eva86
    fit4eva86 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Not the best tip but just try and remember how bad you feel if you go overboard and how good you feel if you don't!! If you feel like indulging, go for a walk or to the gym if you have a membership and the feeling will pass. I just remind myself how much longer it will take to see results if i was to have a few bad days. smile: x
  • AngelZealot
    AngelZealot Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Why do you spiral out of control? is it because you feel guilty for eating a "bad" meal and think you've ruined your good work?

I don't see food as good or bad anymore. I can eat whatever I like in moderation and no longer need to overeat - I used to binge a lot when my diet was restricted and I wasn't "allowed" a lot of foods. Eat nutritiously most of the time, but know that you can have whatever you like if you really want it. allocate a little bit of what you like in to your day....this may stop you feeling the need to eat everything in site?

I tend to overeat because I think: "If I let myself eat bad this once I know that I will be back on my calorie restriction the next day, so I can just go crazy and eat all bad meals today." It's like I give myself a free pass for a day, so I just eat really bad. I take full advantage of eating literally EVERYTHING I want. :neutral_face:
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    The first question that comes to mind is are you over restricting yourself? What are your stats and caloric allowance? You can blow a whole week's worth of work in a day or two of binging.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

I tend to overeat because I think: "If I let myself eat bad this once I know that I will be back on my calorie restriction the next day, so I can just go crazy and eat all bad meals today." It's like I give myself a free pass for a day, so I just eat really bad. I take full advantage of eating literally EVERYTHING I want. :neutral_face:

can you define what you are viewing as "bad"? Are you restricting whole food groups?
  • AngelZealot
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    The first question that comes to mind is are you over restricting yourself? What are your stats and caloric allowance? You can blow a whole week's worth of work in a day or two of binging.

I currently eat 1200 calories in a day.
  • AngelZealot
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

can you define what you are viewing as "bad"? Are you restricting whole food groups?

My bad is eating fast food, cookies, pizza, etc. Mainly just the junk foods that I normally don't eat.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

My bad is eating fast food, cookies, pizza, etc. Mainly just the junk foods that I normally don't eat.

you can eat those foods, as long as you maintain your deficit, and you will still lose weight. However, since you are only on 1200 a day that is going to be really hard. Where did you get 1200 a day from? What did you set your weight loss goal to ..two pounds, one pound, .5 pound????

• NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    This may or may not be helpful to you.

The What the Hell Effect
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Can you adjust your daily menu so that you get a little taste of your version of the bad foods each day?

What if you pre-log and plan for a cookie or a half slice of pizza per day? Will that throw you off track?

I understand cleaning up a diet and all. There is something to be said for making healthier choices over time. However, I don't think there is much of a need to omit all of the foods that you think are evil. Your diet should be something that you can live with after you have accomplished your weight goals.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

I currently eat 1200 calories in a day.

What are you stats? Height, weight age?
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    At 1200 calories – it is very difficult (if not impossible) to have much in the way of cookies, pizza etc. daily and maintain a balance with vitamins, minerals, overall nutrition. I allow myself “planned” treats, but with nutrition always my number one consideration.

My normal treats are calorie-centric and range from 60-100 calories each (Edy’s 60 calorie bars, 100-calorie bag of popcorn etc.). My approach is to back-into my intake. I will plan 3-4 nutritious meals utilizing 80% of daily calories and then figure out how I want to “spend” the remaining 20%.

This is a link to an earlier post of the types of meals I have eaten daily for over 1 year (Photos). Good luck!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10024389/fast-food-frozen-dinners-are-tempting-but#latest

73641431.png