Advice for diabetic mom. I think I hit a plateau right from beginning.

Options

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    minideema wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Weight loss comes down to calories in<calories out. If you aren't losing, you're eating more than you think, regardless of any health issues. How do you measure your food: food scale, measuring cups, eyeballing portions? How do you determine your burns on the elliptical? Do you eat back all your exercise calories?

I burn 247 on elliptical at fat burn mode everyday in thirty minutes. The machine tell me so. I use cups now to be sure. I was guessing till now. It's shocking! Oil just one tsp is 37 calories? I realized oil plus nuts were killing me. Since I am diabetic and like to snack on low carbs, nuts came as easy tasty option.

But I have been doing this two months and no change in weight.

This is where your problem is

1) cut machine / MFP exercise rates in half - do not eat them all, both over-estimate
    2) do not measure food in cups - weigh it on a digital scale

Weight is lost in the kitchen get your calories in right and the weight will drop off
  • romachel1978
    romachel1978 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am diabetic as well and had my first apt with the nutritionist last week. She was fine with me eating some carbs and said there is no reason to cut them out of my daily diet. I have to keep my starch/carb portion to nothing more than a 1/4 of my plate though and I can't use instants (IE - minute rice causes my blood sugar to spike). It can be tough to figure out though since each diabetic reacts differently to different foods. Do you have access to a nutritionist/dietician? They may be able to better advise you.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I am diabetic as well and had my first apt with the nutritionist last week. She was fine with me eating some carbs and said there is no reason to cut them out of my daily diet. I have to keep my starch/carb portion to nothing more than a 1/4 of my plate though and I can't use instants (IE - minute rice causes my blood sugar to spike). It can be tough to figure out though since each diabetic reacts differently to different foods. Do you have access to a nutritionist/dietician? They may be able to better advise you.

If each diabetic reacts differently to different foods, what would be the point of going to a nutritionist/dietician? This makes it sound like one would have just as much luck/sucess with a journal and a dartboard poster of different foods to omit at random.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    After my bloodwork came back a little high on the sugar levels, I really wanted to get something useful out of this thread but so far I'm confused about belly shine, and distracted with fillups by cucumbers, also overly focused on the rationing of nuts. Yeah, I'm screwed.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    This concludes my presence in this confusing thread. JSD.
  • romachel1978
    romachel1978 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    The nutritionist that I saw had lots of good tips on what foods to pair together to keep sugars from spiking. Lots of good information as well on times of the day to eat and how often. The importance of not skipping meals.. Yes, everyones body is different and no meal plan is going to work exactly the same. That doesn't mean it's not worth getting advice from a professional who knows a bit more behind the science. They can look over a food journal and make better tweaks than we could ever suggest.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Using measuring cups is better than estimating, but you really should use a food scale instead. The video below explains why (the music is kind of annoying, you can watch it on mute):

• irejuvenateme
    irejuvenateme Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    As someone who has struggled with staying out of the diabetic range as well as acid reflux issues, I can say a nutritionist has been and is currently a huge help to me - I can't make time to get to the nutritionist so we do skype sessions after my kids (yep I have kids too) have gone to bed - nutritionists can really help customize a plan or tips for/that are right for you. For me I look to combining protein and fiber and staying away from citric fruits, having healthy snacks and following the 80-20 rule to allow for some indulgence combined with a mix of cardio and moderate strength training.

I also have to believe that even if you are not losing all the time that with consistent exercise your clothes are fitting better - I think the waist line will come but these things don't happen overnight. I am guessing that even some mild strength training will help as well.

Good luck!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    FWIW, this diabetic mom has lost 55+lbs (from 232 to 176), lowered her A1C from 7+ to 5.3 over 18months with walking and eating less. I didn't cut ANYTHING out of my diet and still have my 2-3 daily cups of coffee with 2tps real sugar, 1 tbsp flavored creamer. Still eat ice cream, chocolate, pasta, rice, potatoes, bread, cake, pumpkin pie.

OH, and "eating more fat and protein" didn't give you "a solid pot belly." A surplus of calories did.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options

I agree the amount of calories in a tsp of oil and nuts are shocking. The only month I lost weight was when I quit non veg including eggs completely. For a month only though.i realized chicken was very high in cals. So it's just fish and egg whites for me.

But you are right! Portions are shocking.

WHAT! 6oz roasted chicken breast = 281cals, 53g protein, 6g fat, 0 carbs
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    What they all said about eating more than you think. Thats whats preventing your weight loss, you are simply at maintenance.

Heres a quick guide for diabetic dieting and it lists the type of food they suggest you should be considering.

The NHS (and Diabetes UK) recommend a healthy, balanced diet that is low in fat, sugar and salt and contain a high level of fresh fruit and vegetables.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diet/nhs-diet-advice.html
    http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/diabetes-type2/pages/living-with.aspx

• wagglesworth
    wagglesworth Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I am 64 and I was a Type II Diabetic, taking multiple insulin shots a day as well as oral medication. As of about 2 weeks ago I am totally free of it as well as the meds for high blood pressure and cholesterol. What I did was a variation of the Paleo diet. As of yesterday I've lost 81 pounds, that's been since I started last July 1st. My physician is very pleased with my results. I still have quite a ways to go, but I can live comfortably on this diet.
  • 999tigger
    Options

I agree the amount of calories in a tsp of oil and nuts are shocking. The only month I lost weight was when I quit non veg including eggs completely. For a month only though.i realized chicken was very high in cals. So it's just fish and egg whites for me.

I think chicken is a valuable source of lean protein. Disagree about it being very high in calories, unless you were having KFC and then thats the oil and coating.
  • minideema
    minideema Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    What they all said about eating more than you think. Thats whats preventing your weight loss, you are simply at maintenance.

Heres a quick guide for diabetic dieting and it lists the type of food they suggest you should be considering.

The NHS (and Diabetes UK) recommend a healthy, balanced diet that is low in fat, sugar and salt and contain a high level of fresh fruit and vegetables.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diet/nhs-diet-advice.html
    http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/diabetes-type2/pages/living-with.aspx

Thanks a ton! This was very helpful.
  • minideema
    Options
    I am 64 and I was a Type II Diabetic, taking multiple insulin shots a day as well as oral medication. As of about 2 weeks ago I am totally free of it as well as the meds for high blood pressure and cholesterol. What I did was a variation of the Paleo diet. As of yesterday I've lost 81 pounds, that's been since I started last July 1st. My physician is very pleased with my results. I still have quite a ways to go, but I can live comfortably on this diet.

Congrats on such excellent control. I am wowed too. Thanks for sharing the process.

• minideema
    Options

I think chicken is a valuable source of lean protein. Disagree about it being very high in calories, unless you were having KFC and then thats the oil and coating.

You are right, when hungry I was binging on fried chicken. Most fast foods will offer grilled chicken only in salad. Wish they would sell grilled chicken nuggets. Joining an diet apps has opened my eyes to these differences. But I cannot resist curry chicken which is also high on oil.
  • princessnarmor
    princessnarmor Posts: 67 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Hello,

I have lost a few pounds only in the last six months. I have been doing gyming and yoga almost five days a week. Also weekly once yard work. Yard work and walking work wonders on my sugar levels. But even if I add a spoon of rice to my diet my numbers go up. My biggest challenge is a thick waist line. All the weight is there. I have stick legs and toned body otherwise.

Please any advice on how to loose pounds for diabetics is welcome. I think I have hit a plateau now. :(

I logged in on another site since September and it shows I almost two thousand calories every week that I saved. But I did not loose weight. I did log very honestly and almost daily.

On the plus side I am doing more elliptical now since I started six months back. Thirty minutes with burn out of 247 daily. Plus yoga twenty to thirty mins. My waist line has loosened a bit although it still shines, since rest of the body has trimmed out more.

My AIc went down by .3 points too. But I feel my hardwork is not being compensated.

I am a very busy mom of two kids under five. And no joke taking them to gym everyday with me.

Thanks.

Boy do I feel your pain. I am not a diabetic. It does run in my family. Since I am not diabetic, I will call my issue, sugar sensitivity which has turned into Carb sensitivity.

I know there are people out there and on this board who will tell you they are diabetic and they are not experiencing your issues. That's fine, they are NOT you. Your body will respond to things in its own way at its own time.

All I can tell you is what works for me, being in the zone wherein my own body now resides--something akin to the twilight zone, because I don't recognize it or its weight loss ability any longer.

I have found that over a weekly basis, if I eat ANY sugar, I tend not to lose weight, or as much weight. I can be within my calories for the day and the week and I just won't lose anything.

I have found that if I eat bread, I will not lose weight over the week.

I have found that if I eat oils, other than spray oil and a little bit of butter over the week, I will not lose weight.

I learned all of this after 30 plus years of dieting and in particular the past 4.5 years since I stopped smoking.

Experiment with your own body and listen to what it tells you. If you can afford the nutritionist, and I were in your shoes, I would go.

• minideema
    Options
    FWIW, this diabetic mom has lost 55+lbs (from 232 to 176), lowered her A1C from 7+ to 5.3 over 18months with walking and eating less. I didn't cut ANYTHING out of my diet and still have my 2-3 daily cups of coffee with 2tps real sugar, 1 tbsp flavored creamer. Still eat ice cream, chocolate, pasta, rice, potatoes, bread, cake, pumpkin pie.

OH, and "eating more fat and protein" didn't give you "a solid pot belly." A surplus of calories did.

Wonderful mama! Walkin is the remedy I believe in. As a teenager I lost huge with walking and yoga. Wish I had kept doing this.
  • minideema
    Options
    As someone who has struggled with staying out of the diabetic range as well as acid reflux issues, I can say a nutritionist has been and is currently a huge help to me - I can't make time to get to the nutritionist so we do skype sessions after my kids (yep I have kids too) have gone to bed - nutritionists can really help customize a plan or tips for/that are right for you. For me I look to combining protein and fiber and staying away from citric fruits, having healthy snacks and following the 80-20 rule to allow for some indulgence combined with a mix of cardio and moderate strength training.

I also have to believe that even if you are not losing all the time that with consistent exercise your clothes are fitting better - I think the waist line will come but these things don't happen overnight. I am guessing that even some mild strength training will help as well.

Good luck!

Thank you. I admit the waist line has shrunk a bit for me too. Atleast I don't feel embarrassed now!

• 999tigger
    Options

You are right, when hungry I was binging on fried chicken. Most fast foods will offer grilled chicken only in salad. Wish they would sell grilled chicken nuggets. Joining an diet apps has opened my eyes to these differences. But I cannot resist curry chicken which is also high on oil.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/low-fat_chicken_curry_88832

Here a healthy chicken curry and even a bideo showing you how to make it.