Why doesn't my chicken taste as good as restaurant chicken?

Options
NRSPAM
NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
What am I doing wrong? My chicken never tastes as good as any restaurant I've been to. Any suggestions? I've tried grilled, baked, BBQ'd, boiled, and it just never comes out all that great. I've cooked it with oil, seasonings like paprika, salt, pepper...just about anything I can think of. I've even marinated it. It just tastes different.

Replies

• fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by not taste as good? too dry? seasoning is not enough?

Where do you buy your chicken? Whole or pieces?
  • NRSPAM
    Options
    Not sure, exactly. I guess a little dry sometimes, but the taste is not as good, and mine seems tougher. I usually buy chicken breast tenders or regular breast.
  • mtruitt01
    mtruitt01 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    crockpot. with rice.
  • NRSPAM
    Options
    That looks yummy!!! Will have to try. Thank you!
  • ninadrunner
    ninadrunner Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Turn your oven on to 350F. Sear your chicken breast first on medium-high heat each side till you get a nice brown sear. Then you finish in the oven till you reach temp 165F (in the middle part of the meat in the center), but depending if you have bone in it takes a bit longer and higher cooking point. I usually cook bone in till 170-180F. If you have blood on the bone you are fine, but most people think it is wrong and will send it back, so to make sure the blood vessel on the bone is cooked out I cook a bit higher for bone in. You can get a cheap thermometer at Walmart for 10 bucks. You don't need anything fancy. Try messing around with this, as I cook for a living and this is how we do it. It all depends on size of chicken, marinate, breading, etc. Figure out your perfect temp when you sear then the rest is easy. This is just one way of doing it as there are many.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Grill on medium low. 8 or ten minutes each side.ish. Finish with the split side up. You will see clear juice in the little split when it's done. Immediately put in a freezer bag then the fridge. awesome every time. Liberally apply your favorite spices.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Depends which restaurant chicken. If you're getting the full fat, drenched in oil and sauce restaurant chicken, it's because your chicken doesn't also have a zillion calories.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    brine before cooking.

http://www.wikihow.com/Brine-Chicken

it's a pain in the *kitten* but it makes it so juicy.
    may increase calories/sodium, i'm not sure how much by...
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    To grill boneless/skinless chicken, one trick is to make diagonal slashes about 1/4 of the way through...about 3 or 4 slashes on each side. This allows the heat to cook the inside faster so that the outside doesn't get burned. Marinade at least a few hours, preferably overnight. Thrown some wood chips on the coals when you put the chicken on, and close the lid.

Inside, try putting the breasts in a medium-high skillet to brown both sides, then put the lid on the skillet and put it in the oven at around 375 or 400 until it reaches the proper temp. Also best with marinaded.

Also, learn to brine. Chicken breasts brine fairly quickly, and the brine will make the chicken extremely moist and flavorful. It's really great for pork as well.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Order steak. Problem solved...

Sorry, that sounded flippant. I just rarely order chicken in restaurants..because I cook it so much at home. Tell us about the restaurant chicken that is so much better? What restaurant? Is it bone in? White meat or dark? How is it advertised in the restaurant?
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Whole chicken, crock pot - you won't be disappointed.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Seasoning can make a big difference as well. I use a variety of things, but my go-tos are either Weber Kickin' Chicken (if I'm feeling spicy) or an herbes de provence mix (thyme, lavender, etc.) I have an old spice jar in which I put a half and half mixture of whole wheat flour and corn starch. So, after pounding my chicken to get the thickness more uniform, I sprinkle it heavily with the seasoning on the smooth side, and then sprinkle it very lightly with the flour mixture. I don't want to bread it, just give it a smooth, very light coating. Pat it in along with the seasoning to make sure it sticks.

When my pan is hot, I put that side down first to sear. When it's browned, flip it and put the lid on and finish in the oven.

It will end up tasting very similar to a good seasoned fried chicken, even though you've barely used any oil or breading.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    appreciate the ideas :)
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    NRSPAM wrote: »
    Not sure, exactly. I guess a little dry sometimes, but the taste is not as good, and mine seems tougher. I usually buy chicken breast tenders or regular breast.
    I'd guess you've over-cooking them. Lower the heat and/or cover the meat while you cook it. Mine are never tough but I'm lazy and dont' season so they are boring. I do need to figure out my preferred chicken seasoning.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Cook to an internal temp of 140, will stay juicy even without brining
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Roast chicken - don't overcook it and allow it rest for 20 - 30 minutes before carving

chicken is easily overcooked and that's when it gets dry
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I poach a whole chook in a huge pot on the stove. Throw herbs and spices into the water. Soy, garlic, ginger is yummy. Scoop off the scum and fat (cos it tastes yuck) while cooking. Takes about an hour at gentle simmer. Can use the water as a broth to drink. Take chook out, cool in alfoil. Stick in fridge. Easy. Sometimes I do this in a shallow pan with chicken breasts. Always moist and tender.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Try dry brining. It is even better than wet brining and easier too! Crispy on the outside, moist on the inside. I did our turkey this way too.