Why doesn't my chicken taste as good as restaurant chicken?

Options

Replies

• bikergirlalex
    Options
    Try not to overcook! That's always a killer.
  • Braincatcher
    Braincatcher Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I did catering with a chef who had no problem giving his recipes out. When asked why, he said that people always change the recipe at home, so it will never taste the same. He put so much butter, cream, and salt in his dishes that they would never work for everyday eating.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    They use lots of salt plus pretty much anything tastes better when someone else is doing the cooking and cleaning.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    BrettPGH_ wrote: »
    Also restaurants get better quality food then regular people can purchase in grocery stores.

I believe that depends on the restaurant - OP still hasn't specified.

I do agree that the chicken you buy can make a huge difference. Make sure you're not buying chicken that's been injected with anything or tenderized with anything. Avoid Butterball and similar like the plague. The texture of the meat is weird and has a funny taste. To me, anyway.

Personally, I like Bell and Evans chicken, but there are plenty of other sources that have a good product.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    agree, they use a lot more salt (too much)
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I wasn't good at baking chicken until my mom told me to use a heavy cast iron dutch oven instead of a CorningWare casserole. The trick is to keep the moisture in, the cast iron lid is heavy enough to keep the moisture in; the glass CorningWare lid doesn't create a tight enough seal.

I season my whole chicken or chicken breasts in the dutch oven, let it sit overnight in the fridge to "marinate", then bring to room temp, then in the oven @ 350degrees for about 45min. I use a meat thermometer to ensure the meat is properly cooked.
  • 52cardpickup
    52cardpickup Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Also restaurants get better quality food then regular people can purchase in grocery stores.

Not entirely sure where you're getting this information from, or what kind of restaurant you're speaking about specifically... For most "every day" restaurants this is certainly not the case.
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    bulbadoof wrote: »
    brine before cooking.

http://www.wikihow.com/Brine-Chicken

it's a pain in the *kitten* but it makes it so juicy.
    may increase calories/sodium, i'm not sure how much by...

I didnt even know this was a thing! Cant wait to try it thanks for sharing :smile:

• Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I lightly bread and sauté boneless skinless cutlets in a tiny bit of oil just til brown but not cooked thru. Then I add about 3/4 cup low sodium fat free chicken broth to the pan. Cover and simmer 10 minutes. The chicken is moist and juicy. You can then add lemon to the sauce and maybe a pat of butter. (I don't)
    Serve over polenta or rice. If you like them, capers are nice but I don't use them.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    The thing with chicken and pork is that it dries out FAST. You have to use high heat and cook it quick or you will lose the moisture. Don't be afraid to crank up the temperature! Sear it first, roast it at 425 works very well for me.
    ETA don't forget to let it rest. And don't poke it because the juices flow out.
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options

Not entirely sure where you're getting this information from, or what kind of restaurant you're speaking about specifically... For most "every day" restaurants this is certainly not the case.

Agreed.

I've worked in the food industry and the stuff we cooked wasn't what i could buy in the grocery store. A lot of it was, packaged, instant, frozen, heat and eat.... Even when i worked in a small restaurant that i had to do daily fresh food shopping for, there was still a lot of items we purchased through a food service. The fresh food came from the same grocery store i shop at.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Truth. Certain "world class" fine dining restaurants may get special access to higher quality foods, but the average restaurant uses the same things you'd find in any grocery store, just obviously bigger packaging.
  • mikem0218
    mikem0218 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try cooking your chicken with the "sous vide" method, then quickly sear it to give it a nice outer texture. It stays extremely moist that way. More and more restaurants (especially large ones) are cooking this way because it produces very good and reliable results.

If you don't have a special sous vide circulator (which are getting cheaper but still around $200), you can still try it out:

https://snapguide.com/guides/make-sous-vide-chicken-at-home/

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,889 Member
    Options
    tigersword wrote: »

Truth. Certain "world class" fine dining restaurants may get special access to higher quality foods, but the average restaurant uses the same things you'd find in any grocery store, just obviously bigger packaging.
    Variety and choice is probably a factor. Personally I can get any type of meat depending on my budget from my suppliers and local purveyors that you'll never find in your average grocery store. As far as home cooked compared to restaurants, it's probably recipe differences, heat sources and experience that should make the difference, but not all the time. I'm hard pressed to spend money in a formal or upscale restaurant....too many disappointments where I left scratching my head. Good/great food is getting harder to find.

• tigersword
    Options
    Most good/great foods I've hit on lately all tend to be the small mom and pop diner style places. But I rarely eat out much anymore.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,889 Member
    Options
    I agree and most diners leave the bones in and skin on those darn chicken breasts, crazy I know.
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    My chicken comes out better then restaurants. Try using a up-rite roaster or beer can, Season the outside and inside, 2 outside burners on hot and middle one off, Just about an hour on the grill, Using an digital temp Gage add some smoke for a different taste! 84gd1s1i7wt2.jpg
    p8x5r4xvyue6.jpg
  • tigersword
    Options
    Beer can chicken... Dr Pepper can chicken is also pretty damn good.
  • SethosTBG
    SethosTBG Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Well I don't know how you are preparing it. If you're cooking white meat Breast in particular, Crockpot the breast. to make them a little tender and juicy add a tablespoon or 2 of vinegar> The main seasonings we use is Garlic, onion, black pepper..., always. since I like it spicy I add Cayenne pepper. Do not cook dark meat and white meat at the same time. White meat cooks faster, especially if it's skinless w\o bone. The flavors of food is subjective be adventurest. Look on allrecipes.com and type in a recipe for the food you want to eat and go for it.