All or nothing mindset?

Options
I am 23 and I'm looking to lose about 20lbs. I have never had what one might consider a healthy relationship with food. Lately I have caught myself using an all or nothing system and once I've broken a "diet rule" for the day, I lose focus. Does anyone else have this problem? If so, how have you managed it?

Replies

• mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I know it is very common but I dont really have any advice for you other than to try something more flexible.

http://wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/
    "All-or-Nothing Dieting & Eating Disorder Risk
    In 1997, a general physician named Steven Bratman coined the term orthorexia nervosa [21], which he defines as, “an unhealthy obsession with eating healthy food.” It reminds me of the counterproductive dietary perfectionism I’ve seen among many athletes, trainers, and coaches. One of the fundamental pitfalls of dichotomizing foods as good or bad, or clean or dirty, is that it can form a destructive relationship with food. This isn’t just an empty claim; it’s been seen in research. Smith and colleagues found that flexible dieting was associated with the absence of overeating, lower bodyweight, and the absence of depression and anxiety [22]. They also found that a strict all-or-nothing approach to dieting was associated with overeating and increased bodyweight. Similarly, Stewart and colleagues found that rigid dieting was associated with symptoms of an eating disorder, mood disturbances, and anxiety [23]. Flexible dieting was not highly correlated with these qualities. Although these are observational study designs with self-reported data, anyone who spends enough time among fitness buffs knows that these findings are not off the mark."
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,363 Member
    Options
    Don't let perfect be the enemy of good.

One meal out of 21 in a week isn't going to be the undoing of has been achieved.

You just need to be keep moving on.
  • melbmeg
    melbmeg Posts: 32 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I have suffered from this too in the past. It's much easier to stop doing it if you think about calorie counting and healthy eating as a long-term project. If you think you're on a "diet" that will last a few weeks/months then it's easy to feel like you've wrecked it - and might as well binge/give up - if you mess up.

Now that I'm accepting that I may need to do this forever I'm much more relaxed. I still probably have a day a week when I go way over my calories, but I don't care because I'm still losing - if slowly - and I view this as a marathon, not a race. I figure I'm always going to have splurge days because I'm not a super-disciplined or organised person, and life happens. Now I focus on getting back on track rather than beating myself up. That's what thin people do naturally: they cut back after a big day of eating. It's a skill I want to learn and I think it will be vital to my success. I know that if I thought I had to be perfect every day there would be no way I could keep up this lifestyle up indefinitely.

Hope that helps.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Next time you break a rule or fail for a day, try your best to just keep going and watch what happens. (IE nothing) Let yourself fail but continue until it's not such a big deal anymore.

What helped me at first was to view my calories as a weekly goal instead of a daily goal so my bad days could be balanced by good days and not mess up the whole week.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Are you able to eat one day with no rules?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Stop looking at this as something that has "rules". You're trying to stay in a caloric deficit and learn to eat in moderation. This isn't always going to happen, so you log it and move on.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    An all or nothing approach blocks you into a corner and is brittle.
    Be more flexible and see your journey as being allowed to get blown off course a few times but one of steady progress towards target.

Make more steps towards target than away from it, dont beat yourself up and keep going.
  • mustloseweight2015
    Options
    Welcome to my world! I had the same problem. Once I went over my daily calorie allowance, I would think "Oh I blew it for the day, so now let me just eat what I want and I'll be better tomorrow." This was such a flawed way of thinking. I still occasionally fall prey to this, but I'm trying to be better. I don't have any advice because as I said, I still sometimes fall into that mindset. However, I constantly try to remind myself that consuming 600 extra calories just because I went over the daily allowance by 150 calories is doing myself a disservice. Also, I have also never quite had a "healthy relationship" with food. So I know that developing a healthy relationship and undoing old habits will take time. I will have some of those days when I would "blow it" for the day. But for every day like that, if I can have 3 days when I don't do that and eat in moderation, I will be glad....eventually working toward not having those kind of "I blew it" days at all. Just know it might take time, but it will happen if you keep at it. At least that's what I'm telling myself.
  • oedipa_maas
    oedipa_maas Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    melbmeg wrote: »
    I have suffered from this too in the past. It's much easier to stop doing it if you think about calorie counting and healthy eating as a long-term project. If you think you're on a "diet" that will last a few weeks/months then it's easy to feel like you've wrecked it - and might as well binge/give up - if you mess up.

Now that I'm accepting that I may need to do this forever I'm much more relaxed. I still probably have a day a week when I go way over my calories, but I don't care because I'm still losing - if slowly - and I view this as a marathon, not a race. I figure I'm always going to have splurge days because I'm not a super-disciplined or organised person, and life happens. Now I focus on getting back on track rather than beating myself up. That's what thin people do naturally: they cut back after a big day of eating. It's a skill I want to learn and I think it will be vital to my success. I know that if I thought I had to be perfect every day there would be no way I could keep up this lifestyle up indefinitely.

Hope that helps.

This is incredibly good advice.

I struggle with all or nothing thinking too, and combatting it starts with my mind. Calming techniques and repeating mantras like "It's a marathon, not a race" or "Progress not perfection" a few times, taking deep breaths, reminding myself I don't want to keep up the destructive cycle of binge/deprive--all of these things help me. I also find distraction super helpful. I do something to distract my mind--it's great if it's something healthy like exercise--but it's not necessary to work out. I like to embroider and it really absorbs me, so when I feel those negative messages crowding my brain, I just switch it off through the activity.

Everyone is right about so-called slips not being a big deal. Like the commenter I quoted above said, think of it as your life, and no one is perfect across a lifetime. But we can do the best we can most times, while allowing ourselves to be imperfect.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    Make yourself log what you ate, no matter what! When I eat something that I wish I hadn't and am tempted to just give up for the day, I log it. Usually, I am surprised that it has fewer calories than I had imagined, and I can exercise and use those calories to still come in under goal for the day.

Last month, I ate at The Cheesecake Factory TWICE (meal + cheesecake) and I ate whatever I wanted on Thanksgiving, and I still lost 7 pounds. There is no need for the "all or nothing attitude" if you're using MFP. There are no "bad foods". It's so liberating!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    There's no "rules." There's decisions you make multiple times a day. You're a grownup. You can make a grownup decision to eat something that you want. Because you're a grownup, you accept that there are consequences for your decision. You accept that eating that thing means that you may wipe out your deficit for today, and if it's calorie-laden enough, for yesterday, too. You accept that this means a delay in reaching your goal. It doesn't "ruin" or "derail" anything... Just delays by a day or two. And each time you do this, you know you're adding a day or two to your journey. But that's OK. You're a grownup and can make that decision without guilt or shame, because you are answerable only to you.

And you can make the decision to keep on eating high calorie foods for the rest of the day, out of frustration, because you regret the consequences of that first decision, and then feel guilty for having delayed reaching your goal even further, and then be upset about it, and then do the same thing again in a few days. But probably not, because that's what a child would do and you are a grownup.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Every time one of these threads comes up, I end up humming "All Er Nothing."

"With me, it's all er nothing.
    Is it all er nothing with you?
    It can't be in between.
    It can't be now and then.
    No half and half romance will do."

It will be going through my head all day now.

Most damage is done when people give up, so don't give up. A little indulgence doesn't mean you have to pig out. :)
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're just being childish.

If you ran a red light, would you choose to just run the rest of them that day? Try to isolate the decisions. There's nothing unique about a day in itself. Treat each eating situation as a new event and when it's over, don't let your self-scoring of it affect your next meal choices.

Weight loss is math. Going over for one meal is ok. Going over for all meals is the deal breaker.

It helped me to realize how convenient that 'all or nothing' thinking is with dieting. If on any level I didn't want to diet that day, all I had to do was blow it once and I was off the hook.

Maybe also practice eating in the gray area. Make your new rule be that you get to break some rules and then you go back to what you consider 'on plan', without waiting until the next day.

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,968 Member
    Options
    Pretty normal to think like that. The psychological wrangling of good and bad tends to do that.
  • hamoncan
    hamoncan Posts: 148 Member
    Options

One meal out of 21 in a week isn't going to be the undoing of has been achieved.

^THIS!

Its taken some time for me to lose some of my bad habits (or at least lessen them) - its gotten a lot better since I started forcing myself to log it all anyways rather than write the day off and ditch the log for the day in denial / disgust - just log those days and realize its no big deal, you can't be perfect - in fact "forgiving" yourself for not being perfect takes a lot of the pressure off and makes long term weight loss sustainable. I'm finally learning this after years and years of fizzling out. If you can "get it" at 23 you're light years ahead of most of us.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    hamoncan wrote: »

^THIS!

Its taken some time for me to lose some of my bad habits (or at least lessen them) - its gotten a lot better since I started forcing myself to log it all anyways rather than write the day off and ditch the log for the day in denial / disgust - just log those days and realize its no big deal, you can't be perfect - in fact "forgiving" yourself for not being perfect takes a lot of the pressure off and makes long term weight loss sustainable. I'm finally learning this after years and years of fizzling out. If you can "get it" at 23 you're light years ahead of most of us.
    I went out for a spontaneous dinner last night, couldn't log during, had an alcoholic drink and a high-calorie salad and didn't really care about the intake. When I got home and logged it (had to estimate the drink) I was still within maintenance, and this morning I am 162lbs (had been stuck at 165 for weeeks). So yeah, just live life and eat good food and log properly, it's not the end of the world when things don't go as planned. It was super nice to have that break of not caring at all, and I was still able to get close to my protein goal! But in the past I've been very wary of unlogged intake, and the more I do it the more I realize that it's not the end of the world; I can log if afterwards if I have a good guesstimate, and if I'm over then who cares? Log it and move on.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options

If you ran a red light, would you choose to just run the rest of them that day? Try to isolate the decisions. There's nothing unique about a day in itself. Treat each eating situation as a new event and when it's over, don't let your self-scoring of it affect your next meal choices.

Weight loss is math. Going over for one meal is ok. Going over for all meals is the deal breaker.

It helped me to realize how convenient that 'all or nothing' thinking is with dieting. If on any level I didn't want to diet that day, all I had to do was blow it once and I was off the hook.

Maybe also practice eating in the gray area. Make your new rule be that you get to break some rules and then you go back to what you consider 'on plan', without waiting until the next day.

I learned to employ similar thinking: if I got a speeding ticket on my way to work, would I just disobey all the traffic laws for the rest of the day? So, why let one bad food choice tank your whole day? Make your next choice better immediately. Don't wait until tomorrow!
  • dsimmons91
    dsimmons91 Posts: 6 Member
    Options

Thank you for not just immediatly writing me off and labeling me as childish. The way you connected the food mentality with a completely different action actually makes a lot of sense and I really appreciate your response, it was very helpful.
  • Monsterdog1114
    Monsterdog1114 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yes I am the same way. Have you tried to read any of the Geneen Roth books?

All you can do is try 'not' to be that way. But I struggle everyday.
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I found for me, if I think of the entire week instead of the day it takes some of the stress off. I have xx,ooo calories in the bank for the week. Today I was a little heavy, so I'll be more mindful the next few days. It usually will average itself out in the course of a week. It's hard not to beat yourself up over a decision you feel was "bad" and to throw in the towel for the day. But it's not the end of the world, or the end of what should be a new lifestyle. Making life changes is hard, and we have to remember to be kind to ourselves.