Your tips to maintaining?

Options
Hello! :)

I'm not at maintenance yet, I was just wondering if anyone has any tips/rules/habits that they use to maintain their weight without counting calories? Or do you all still count? And do you plan on counting forever if you do?

Replies

• focusedonfitness2015
    Options
    I still count and I still exercise....and lift! I have increased my calories since reaching maintenance but I am not as anal about what I eat. If I go over, no harm done because I know what I need to do to get back to my goal. Also, you cant think of your maintenance weight as a number, it will now be a range. I fluctuate between 121-124 in any given week....and thats okay. Maintenance is fun because I'm allowing myself all those things I once gave up to reach my goal but I still control the portions and dont obsess over every morsel I eat.

In essence, I still do everything I did while losing, I just eat a little more and actually get to enjoy it. Good luck to you!
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Don't stop working out. I personally haven't counted in years, but I never really counted steady anyway.
  • pdank311
    pdank311 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I still count and I still exercise....and lift! I have increased my calories since reaching maintenance but I am not as anal about what I eat. If I go over, no harm done because I know what I need to do to get back to my goal. Also, you cant think of your maintenance weight as a number, it will now be a range. I fluctuate between 121-124 in any given week....and thats okay. Maintenance is fun because I'm allowing myself all those things I once gave up to reach my goal but I still control the portions and dont obsess over every morsel I eat.

In essence, I still do everything I did while losing, I just eat a little more and actually get to enjoy it. Good luck to you!

This^ 100% Only a higher weight range for me.

• focusedonfitness2015
    Options
    Um...OP deactivated her account? HUH?
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    Um...OP deactivated her account? HUH?

Oh no I didn't lol. It's a ghost account apparently. It shows such but I'm still here
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    For me maintenance is about always setting new fitness goals. My weight will fluctuate the usual 5 lbs. here and there, so I don't focus on that although I do weigh regularly. Keeping measurements is important.

I don't log food accurately. I keep a log of WHAT I eat and how much, but not to track calories. If I notice a weight gain or I'm feeling poorly then I just look back at my log and see if there's something I need to change.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    For me maintenance is about always setting new fitness goals. My weight will fluctuate the usual 5 lbs. here and there, so I don't focus on that although I do weigh regularly. Keeping measurements is important.

I don't log food accurately. I keep a log of WHAT I eat and how much, but not to track calories. If I notice a weight gain or I'm feeling poorly then I just look back at my log and see if there's something I need to change.
    QFT

My weight fluctuates as well - I don't stress it. As long as I can still fit into my clothes, I'm good to go. I DO have a range for the scale where, if I hit the top number I start to pay closer attention to my food choices and snacking. I log religiously, but more to keep myself accountable for my choices than to stay within my calorie goal right now. When I hit 135, I actually pay attention to what/how much I'm really eating.

BZAH10 has it right - set fitness goals. I signed up for a few races to keep me active this winter because left to my own devices I'll pretend I'm a bear and try to bulk up and hibernate when it's cold. Those fitness goals will help keep you interested and engaged when you might rather be hibernating. :open_mouth:
  • WestCoastJo82
    WestCoastJo82 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I don't log, and haven't at all in my year and a half of maintenance. I do still weigh myself regularly, but basically just keep doing what you were doing to lose the weight - just eat a little more!
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I still log all of my food, but basically follow the above posts' advice. I don't freak over going over my calorie goal, but I try to keep to it on a weekly and not daily basis. I work out more than ever, but then...I have more ice cream than ever. If I really overindulge on one day, I am more careful the next. So far no problem for me. Also, yes, your weight fluctuates! So do not panic! Mine is up and down 2-3 lbs.
    Best of luck
    Stef.
  • elephantlovex
    Options
    I try to just eat intuitively and eat mostly healthy things, but I like to eat some junk food every day so I don't get intense cravings. I generally don't log my food unless I feel like I'm eating too little. I also try to exercise at least 4 times a week :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I was fat a long time and only had long term success by calorie counting so I have no intention of stopping logging.
    However, I'm use it as a tool and not as a restriction. My logging is more relaxed at maintenance with more estimating. Although I mostly meet my goal I'm also relaxed about having low days and high days and accept fluctuations in weight.
    If I go out for a nice meal I choose my food based on taste not calories, when I go on holiday eating and drinking is part of the enjoyment of the holiday. I'll just sort out the inevitable weight gain when I get back home.

Really have to think long term sustainability whatever method you choose.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I don't count/weigh/measure/log. I eat what I normally eat, which is plant based (with some fish/meat), nutrient dense, low CRAP. Weigh regularly. Walk/run at least 10,000 steps a day. Do weight bearing exercise.

In fact, I kept eating what and how much I was eating and one day the weight loss stopped. And my weight stabilized.

Best of luck to you ghost OP (it really does show that you deactivated).
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    For me, continuing to count and continuing to work out are key.
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options

Best of luck to you ghost OP (it really does show that you deactivated).

Haha I know. Many have told me so. ;)
  • Sadi_Kalen
    Sadi_Kalen Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    great question, OP!

I'm about 2-3 kg (4-6 lbs) away from my goal weight and looking into maintenance plans now. I had in mind to keep doing what I'm doing with exercise and continuing to log but like the others, I'm also starting to re-introduce favourite comfort foods again (not every day and I'm still watching portion sizes) but keeping up my daily cardio and eating clean at least 80% every day is helping me get there. I too have noticed the scale moves around a kilo up or down as I'm getting close to my goal weight.... it took much longer to get past my last plateau so I'm really not fighting with it at this stage, just continuing to eat well and exercise. I hope you get to your goal soon! It's a good feeling being this close.
  • ryanhorn
    ryanhorn Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

I second this! Your weight will fluctuate, but it's still a good idea to keep measurements so you can catch yourself before you go too far in either direction.

• hannahrichins
    Options
    I do everything I did while losing weight, just with a little bit more wiggle room :) I obviously eat more and limited my workouts to 5 days a week instead of 6. I do a lot more strength/toning exercises since I'm not as concerned with burning calories/fat. I still track my food, but on the weekends I am very flexible and don't beat myself up if I go over my calorie goal. I eat treats if I feel like eating them, I just moderate and make sure I'm not going crazy or over the top :) Good luck!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    The difference between my maintenance and losing is a mere handful of calories...that's it...a couple of snacks really.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    pdank311 wrote: »

This^ 100% Only a higher weight range for me.

This for me also.
  • Madc321
    Options
    I just hit my goal 185 down from 254. well technically I'm 181 at this point. any advice on maintaining/ building lean mass /lowering bf% changing this up is worrying me >.<