Is MFP app accurate with calories burned? Need calorie advice regarding weight.

Options
I walked on an incline of 4-7 (going back and forth) and mph of 2 to 2.5 for 50 minutes. I logged it into MFP (the app) and the app said I burned 1200+ calories from just 50 minutes. I do weight 375 (but I think I've already lost a bit of weight, haven't weighed myself in two weeks) and i'm 6'2.

1. Is MFP accurate with how many calories I've burned or is that just too high for fifty minutes?
2. how many calories will I burn in an hour on a treadmill with incline/speed listed above with my weight and height?

Thanks so much guys!

Replies

• NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    This might be of interest.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/34973-calculate-treadmill-calories/

The LifeStyle treadmill I use at PF calculates my calories based on speed, grade, weight and time - when compared to MFP it was all pretty close.

73641431.png
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    No, it's not accurate.
  • IndiaGuerita1983
    IndiaGuerita1983 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I don't eat my exercise calories back so I didn't really mind what MFP was telling me for calories burned.

After I bought a heart rate monitor when my weight loss plateaued - I discovered that MFP was WAY off (they tend to overestimate). Knowing how many calories I burn (accurately) helps me push myself harder during my workouts.

Hope that helps.

-India
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    http://42.195km.net/e/treadsim/

I used this, 2.5 for 50 minutes, 7% gradient, 370 pounds and got 888. Again, that's likely a guesstimate, but if you're eating back exercise calories, I'd be cautious when seeing large burns.
  • cmbauer99
    cmbauer99 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Best bet would be eat half back. MFP is notorious for high numbers. I went with a HRM for this very reason
  • alathIN
    alathIN Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    It overestimates for some people/activities and underestimates for others.

Bottom line you will know if you are losing weight.

Personally, I have found I can only "eat back" about half of the kCal that MFP says I have "earned" by exercise if I want to keep losing weight.