former Weight Watchers member switching it up, cheaper option ;)

Options
Hey hey -- anyone else stopped WW expensive plan and joined the free train?!
I am as motivated as I've ever been to lose more weight and this APP has far less flaws as WW.

Anyone else agree?!?

Replies

• shenejm
    shenejm Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I was a former WW. I got away from the plan and gained all the weight back and more… When I decided to get back on track, I decided WW was an expense that I did not want to endure again… Like you I decided to use the free MFP and go with a low carb diet… And so far after almost a month I am enjoying the MFP app. I track my meals daily I find it easier than WW, I am losing weight… and best of all its free!!

I hated the stigma of feeling that I did not belong at the WW meetings… I do not carry my weight in way that I look overly heavy and I got tired of being told I did not belong..
    To me no matter if you wanted to lose 5, 10 or 200 lbs if you were willing to pay and the fee and follow the plan no one should judge who should be there or not… my wife had joined with me as support and she only had about 15lbs to lose, she took a lot more criticism than I did.. she is back on the WW plan but doing it from the materials we had from years ago.. I use this forum and her for my support system… but feel free to add me….
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'm formerly WW (Online - so no meetings for me), and I like MFP because it's free.. but MFP has WAY MORE flaws and a WAY steeper learning curve. So I half agree!

At least with WW you maybe have to sift through 10 food entries to find out the points values, but with MFP you're sifting through 1000s and then you end up making a lot of your own because you just can't find the right one. And then you have to pick a calorie goal since most people find MFP recommends too low... But then MFP estimates exercise calories too high. Sigh. It's a struggle. I made the switch by keeping WW for 1 month while on MFP and comparing. It helped. If you want to add me I can give you tips on making the transition. Don't worry I'm not going to recommend anything weird.

So, I highly recommend reading the forums! Lots to learn. It's good stuff to learn though.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    i dropped weight watchers because they cant build a decent website and their social tools are maddening. and i didnt really get the new point system (the last time i did it i was able to make calculations in my head... this time i didnt even know what they were using) and why some things were free points. i feel like here you are given tools where you learn how to do it yourself but there they want to be confusing so you rely on them and keep paying. but it definitely is easier if you are just looking for someone to tell you what to do to jut do weight watchers. if you are the type who wants to know why and how and are willing to research this is a good place. also if you like to have weight loss buddies without paying and with an actual flow of conversation, and have people actually read your blog.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Not sure how MFP can possibly have a steeper learning curve. You just count calories. WW you count points.

The MFP tracker is a thousand times better than the WW tracker. The first time I tried it I was hooked.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    :)
  • VeryKatie
    edited December 2014
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    Not sure how MFP can possibly have a steeper learning curve. You just count calories. WW you count points.

The MFP tracker is a thousand times better than the WW tracker. The first time I tried it I was hooked.

It's not that MFP is hard to use, it's that it's hardER than WW Online. I'm not sure if you've used their (Online only - not phone) system but, boy they make it simple. You can tell why they've been around so long. Very, very user friendly (especially since I never dealt with the hassle of meetings either).

It's more the whole things of having to learn the following:

-Macro goals (if that's your thing, WW was all about fibre, MFP forums teach you the importance of fat and protein in addition to fibre)
    -Actual calorie goal (and what's appropriate for your current weight as well as how much you should be trying to lose per week)
    -Exercise calories burned (In WW, you could eat back what you burned. All of it. MFP leave you guessing a bit - do you eat 50% back? 75%?) Or do you use TDEE method? In which case, which level are you, really? Most people find it out by trial and error.
    -Knowing which entries are right to use (Don't use anything with a *, anything "homemade", anything that doesn't have MANY confirmations - but good luck finding those since they don't automatically come to the top)
    -Fitness related stuff regarding weight lifting and cardio and why both are important (I personally found that WW Online was skimpy on the fitness front).

I feel like I wouldn't have learned at lot of those things if I'd skipped the forums.

And then there's the glitches to deal with like the recipe calculator getting "stuck" on calories when you change the amount unless you know where to click, or you not being able to tell which are user defined entries or MFP database entries while building a recipe, not having as easy a time finding the old calculator so that you do know....

So, don't get me wrong, I love MFP and don't wish to go back to WW. I can tell I know more about nutrition and health now that I'm MFP and I would never give that up. But WW was much more straight forward, even if it was just because they simply don't focus on a lot of that stuff in order to make it easier for their typical clients.

If that big ramble even makes sense... maybe I think about things too much. I don't know. At times I guess I miss my ignorance...
  • Laura87Laura
    Laura87Laura Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies so far. I agree that WW is effective but yes the problem is when you leave.. you feel out of control . I was so frustrated with the APP scanner, often it didn't find the food so I had to still calculate the points. I figured that each WW point is roughly 50 calories so if you had 26 points a day (plus 'free' fruits and veg, you are basically to eat 1300 calories. My fitness pal logged me in as 1210. SO a little less than WW, but at least I know you can lose weight eating the 26 points or roughly 1300 calories. I'm eager to give this a try!
  • VeryKatie
    edited December 2014
    Options
    chadya07 wrote: »
    i dropped weight watchers because they cant build a decent website and their social tools are maddening. and i didnt really get the new point system (the last time i did it i was able to make calculations in my head... this time i didnt even know what they were using) and why some things were free points. i feel like here you are given tools where you learn how to do it yourself but there they want to be confusing so you rely on them and keep paying. but it definitely is easier if you are just looking for someone to tell you what to do to jut do weight watchers. if you are the type who wants to know why and how and are willing to research this is a good place. also if you like to have weight loss buddies without paying and with an actual flow of conversation, and have people actually read your blog.

Ah yes basically this boldy part here! Kind of what I was trying to say.
  • pbellino
    pbellino Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I dropped WW and join TOPS.org. $28.00/year!! I have lost weight each week since Oct 6th because there is accountability. Great Program!!!
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »

I agree! You can do the MFP way without the app if you wanted to. Simple calorie counting is sustainable without an app or membership of any kind. The app is just a tool to make it easier. Personally, I find it VERY easy to use and live with. I couldn't imagine dieting without knowing if I was taking in enough or too much, not to mention nutrient intake.
  • kgangl1028
    Options
    I too am a former WW participant. I joined them to help my college aged daughter who wanted to lose weight after gaining during her first 2 years. It was good at the time but I totally agree with "shenejm" who mentions the fact that if you don't have massive weight to lose, you kind of feel questioned about why you're attending the meetings. The fact that you have to learn to live in real life, the MFP program seems to help to learn the way the foods I eat everyday impact my health. And, as others have mentioned it's free. I also find it very easy to use so far.

I am trying to lose the extra rolls around my middle. Man, that is hard to do especially as you get older. I'm going to really stick to it this time. I also have a mantra that I have adopted to help keep me focused: Every new day is another chance to change your life.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    one thing i dicovered immedietely after tarting here... is that i had no idea, when using weight watchers... i had no idea how much i was actually eating. my goal was points and they seemed to not even use calories anymore... i had no idea what my actual goal was... and when i came here and tarted counting calories and to a lesser degree macros, i found i could eat more than they let me, and that some things they had for say 2 points would have les calories than others they had at 1 point... and that accross the board i didnt know what my previous goals were. and to me... not really knowing what the true goal is... is like.... like... ok i dont know what it is like... it is like accepting a handicap that you can choose to not have.
  • jeaniem71
    jeaniem71 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I spent 2 years on WW going to meetings etc....to lose 5LBS! Lets see that how much per pound? I spent last year on Atkins / LCHF and lost 25 pounds. Love this app. I signed up to give me a little push for the last 15 lbs.

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    WW is excellent and so is this. But yes, I spent a lot of money on WW. It all comes down to your own effort, though.
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Almost 3 years ago, I told myself that I would give the MFP app I found on my Kindle I got for Christmas, and if it didn't work, I would join WW. Now I'm sixty pounds less, and I love MFP!
  • justmelori
    justmelori Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I lost about 20 lbs (my goal at the time) over the time of a year on WW, but I wanted to do a bit more. I lost another additional 10 lbs just by counting cals on MFP.

Unfortunately this year has been rough so I've gained about 7 back. I'm now combining both. I'm following WW SF guidelines but logging on MFP for free.

I agree the the frustrating part about MFP as you search for foods sometimes the most reliable items are not at the top of the list and you have to 'dig'. In the end I'm trying not to be so OCD about it -- the purpose is for me to log and learn to make good food choices, does it really matter if something is 200 cals or 180?

Exercise. I do sometimes eat my cals back, but not that often.

Good luck on your journey!

jml
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I hated Weight Watchers. When I analyzed what they permitted me to eat, it came to 800 calories!!! I felt like crap all the time. MFP works much better and doesn't waste your money. Look, I can starve for free lol. I don't need a whole ridiculous contrived point system. MFP uses scientifically recognized units of nutrients and calories. So I feel like it's much better here and more user friendly, and far more sustainable in your weight loss journey.
  • shenejm
    shenejm Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    WW is excellent and so is this. But yes, I spent a lot of money on WW. It all comes down to your own effort, though.

I agree WW is a good system that works… But for me the cost and the uncomfortable feeling was the issue..
    I am working on a LCHF diet were as my wife is following WW points system (her choice)… She is frustrated because she is constantly hungry… I struggled with that as well on WW, I always felt I was denying myself satisfaction and starving myself to drop the weight but I have found by going low carb and higher fat and protein I can keep my calories down and stay satisfied and lose weight…
    Basically it all comes down to the individual what ever works best for them..
  • dln1975
    dln1975 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I also am a former WW member. I can't count the number of times I had joined WW and would lose weight. I would then stop going to meetings and stop following the plan as I had the mindset of "I can do this on my own," only to gain back the weight I had lost (and then some). I do think WW is a good program and I do know many people who have successfully lost and maintained their loss on WW, but for me I prefer MFP. I found I was eating tons of processed foods on WW (100-calorie pack snacks, etc.). I still eat processed foods, but nothing like I used to thanks to MFP telling me my carb total, sugar total, etc., at the end of every day. But as someone else on this post said, it's all about what works best for you!! Best of luck to you!
  • xX7Jenny7Xx
    xX7Jenny7Xx Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I lost 15lbs on Weight Watchers last year but left from a combination of not being able to afford it and not being able to go to the meeting with the leader I liked (and meetings were my main motivation for joining). Plus I try to eat lots of protein and I found it annoying to have to track that separately. Might as well just count calories anyway.

I've been on MFP for almost four weeks now and I've been following IIFYM while trying to incorporate the idea of flex points into my week, because I liked that aspect of WW. I have a weekly average I'm aiming for (1500) and a minimum daily calorie goal that I consider healthy (1250), which leaves me 1750 "flex" calories. I can either spread them out, save them up, or not use them, just like on WW. :)

Note: That might seem low to some, but I'm just shy of 5'1" and not currently doing ANY exercise. Once I start lifting again my calorie goals will go up significantly. :P