• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Harder on the joints.

Myth......

• alathIN
    alathIN Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I will be doing the majority of running on a treadmill, for the first while at least. I'm assuming there is a big difference between treadmill and outside so will prob venture outside after I'm used to actually running for that distance for a while.

Don't give up on "real world" running too soon.

It's not a foregone conclusion that treadmills are less injury-genic than the real world is. Running in the real world you get more variation and use of accessory and stabilizing muscles.

Incidentally, there is also some evidence that "green space" experience enhances the positive mental health benefits of exercise. I find this especially true in the Winter when the tendency is to get too cooped up - best time to go run on a trail or in a park.

• Mrscanmore
    Mrscanmore Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    I know you said you want to run the whole way, but I'm a big believer in the 10 and 1 plan. For my longer runs I run 10 min and walk one. You may still be building up to this, but even when you have increased your mileage and endurance, the 10 and 1 plan works well. Mentally, when you are tired, you only have to worry about finishing that 10 min block. The 1 min rest really energizes you to go again
  • Mrscanmore
    Mrscanmore Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    alathIN wrote: »
    I will be doing the majority of running on a treadmill, for the first while at least. I'm assuming there is a big difference between treadmill and outside so will prob venture outside after I'm used to actually running for that distance for a while.

Incidentally, there is also some evidence that "green space" experience enhances the positive mental health benefits of exercise. I find this especially true in the Winter when the tendency is to get too cooped up - best time to go run on a trail or in a park.

I agree! There is nothing like running outside. I live in central canada, it gets really cold, but I'd still rather layer up and run outside!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    lyttlewon wrote: »
    lyttlewon wrote: »
    Harder on the joints.
    I've run almost 700 miles over time on concrete. Where's the information that it's any harder than asphalt?

any engineer can tell you that concrete is harder than asphalt.

If you are fine running on concrete, go right ahead. For someone who is new to running, it is not the ideal surface to start on. It is indeed harder on the body. Running is hard on the body until you get used to it. So, for most people, in makes good sense to get your body used to running before doing a lot of it on concrete. I can run a HM on asphalt and my knees don't feel like I've taken a beating. But 5 km on concrete and I don't want to run again for a week. It truly does make a difference for a lot of runners.

Yeah I get that the substance itself is technically harder than asphalt. With the idea of damaging the body in significant amounts, where is the information that it's severe enough to avoid the sidewalk?

The reason why the sidewalk sucks is due to uneven/settled joints, cracks, and the erratic nature of where it joins the street/drives. Plus, you have to yield to folks walking it, as it is not designed to be an athletic activity path like a multi-use path you'd find in a park. As far as impact goes, it's all in peoples' heads.
  • ThePoeToaster
    ThePoeToaster Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    www.jimgalloway.com
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    www.jimgalloway.com

?

Did you mean www.JEFFgalloway.com?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    www.jimgalloway.com

?

Did you mean www.JEFFgalloway.com?

Belted_Galloway_at_Gretna_Green.jpg
    ?
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Just want to chime in here... I think the biggest obstacle to running distance is a mental one. Pay attention to the thoughts you're telling yourself. Do you say things like "wow this is hard!" or "I don't think I can do this" OR do you/can you start thinking "I've got this" and "I am strong." It might sound silly, but sometimes if I'm out for a particularly long run, I'll speak aloud to myself something encouraging.

I sincerely believe that a belief that you can is the #1 thing that separates long distance runners from people that never give it a try.

Decide now that you can and will do this. The training plans and specifics will follow from there.

Good luck!

PS this is coming from someone who used to hate running a mile in HS who's completed many 10ks, a few half marathons, and 3 full-distance marathons. :)