Just had and baby and don't know where to start.....

Options
Hi! I just had my baby on Nov. 4th...I gained a total of 16 lbs back that I lost from before and I just don't know where to start??? I start back to work Monday the 8th so that will help some....but i still feel hungry like i did before and i really don't know what type of exercise would be good for me...I also had my tubes tied so the doctor don't want me going to crazy with working out for about 2 more weeks but i feel like the weight is packing on me right now especially in the tummy and hips....help!! I need some ideas besides just walking....

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Start by logging food and balancing your carbohydrates, proteins and fats. The balance is what is key for me not to feel hungry. Follow doctor's orders and don't try any strenuous exercise until he clears you. You can do more harm than good. Try to get as much sleep as possible also. Good luck.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    You don't need to do any exercise to lose weight, you just need to eat less calories than you're burning. Start by simply logging everything you eat and drink. That's everything, including things like gum and vitamins; it all adds up. Don't even worry about staying under goal, just get into the habit of logging it all. A few days or a week later, take a good look at your diary and see where you could make some easy changes that'll reduce your calories to your daily goal.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say: Do what your doctor told you. You just had a baby. Chill out a bit.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    It's only been a month. Really, depending on what kind of delivery you had, you should probably only be walking right now anyway.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I agree with what others have said. Relax about the exercise. You're not even supposed to be exercising yet, and you will burn out and/or hurt yourself if you start too soon. You can start to lose weight just by eating at a calorie deficit.
  • carencae
    carencae Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Are you by any chance breast feeding? that burns about 300 calories a day.
  • Isabelle_1929
    Isabelle_1929 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    You don't need to workout to lose weight. Start with fixing your diet (taking into account breastfeeding, if you do).
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Start by logging your food and following your calorie goal. If you're breastfeeding/pumping, allow for extra calories to maintain your supply.
  • rachelchun18
    Options
    Ok thanks everyone!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Start with the most basic thing: Calories in/calories out. That really is all you need to know or do to lose weight. Nutrition and exercise can certainly help with health and accelerating the process, but it really does boil down to calories in/calories out. Start with that.

I had a tubal, and it's no fun. Adding that on top of having a baby, and you really should take it easy for a while. Don't jump in too soon. Your abs, the things responsible for balance and core strength, have taken a real beating between those two things. Let them heal or you could damage them. My sister was just told that she will never have a flat tummy (or even a tummy that doesn't look pregnant) without surgery because her abs split with her last pregnancy. Don't push yourself too soon. There's simply no need.