"UVA Rape Case"

Options
LoneWolf_70
LoneWolf_70 Posts: 1,151 Member
anyone following it? It seems not believable, which inevitably will do harm to the women who are actually raped and fearful of bringing it up/reporting it.

Replies

• Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    IBTL

And not following it, no. About to now, though.
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    tumblr_n96xsuxd2e1rziwwco1_250.gif
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I don't think it matters that you find it unbelievable. That's what the police and our justice system are for. Debating the veracity of a potential victim makes me really uncomfortable. It should make everyone uncomfortable, IMO.
  • LoneWolf_70
    Options
    I don't think it matters that you find it unbelievable. That's what the police and our justice system are for. Debating the veracity of a potential victim makes me really uncomfortable. It should make everyone uncomfortable, IMO.
    i assume you dont know anything about the case then.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

Your assumption would be incorrect. Are you implying that since she shared her story, she's open to people questioning the truthfulness of it?
  • LoneWolf_70
    Options

Your assumption would be incorrect. Are you implying that since she shared her story, she's open to people questioning the truthfulness of it?

Yes? Anyone claiming a story that he/she is the victim of a crime is subject to the normal questions that would take place. If someone claims they were shot, but wouldnt give the name of the shooter and didnt show wounds wouldnt we question that person?

• TheVirgoddess
    Options

Yes? Anyone claiming a story that he/she is the victim of a crime is subject to the normal questions that would take place. If someone claims they were shot, but wouldnt give the name of the shooter and didnt show wounds wouldnt we question that person?

Sure they are subject to, and should be questioned - by the cops. She hasn't pressed charges though, right? I might be a bit behind.
  • LoneWolf_70
    Options
    ^correct...and thats my point, we only have her word. the reporter nor the police have questioned the alleged rapists. She named them to the reporter, but the reporter made no real attempt to reach out.

My point is this story appears flimsy, which before it was reported in a magazine shouldve received better vetting, because rape DOES happen, and if this case is a hoax or she's delusional it only harms the ppl who are really raped.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    Which unfortunately happens quite often. There are some strange attention seekers out there who will do or say anything regardless of whom it hurts just to justify sexual actions they are regretful about.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I dunt wahch Tea-Vee...et freyes goor braynah
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    ^correct...and thats my point, we only have her word. the reporter nor the police have questioned the alleged rapists. She named them to the reporter, but the reporter made no real attempt to reach out.

My point is this story appears flimsy, which before it was reported in a magazine shouldve received better vetting, because rape DOES happen, and if this case is a hoax or she's delusional it only harms the ppl who are really raped.

I dunno. I've been raped, I don't feel like her story (true or not) lessens mine. It's also why I'm really hesitant to call any potential rape victim a liar. When you've been raped and people ask you questions that imply you're not telling the truth, it can do a LOT of damage. While no one has questioned my experience personally, I've seen it happen often, while working with rape victims. Their friends, family - asking why they were there, or why they didn't do this or that......you're so vulnerable. In this case I'd rather be taken for a fool and assume the victim is telling the truth than cause further harm on the chance he/she isn't. Does that make sense?

• JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    I have never been raped but I still wonder why anyone would spend their time questioning the verity of someone's account of being raped or assaulted in any manner that has nothing to do with them.
  • sensitivefool
    sensitivefool Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    As a rule I don't follow cases like that. On one end the man could be a total monster. On the other end the woman could be a total manipulating self-serving nut job. Either way, it ain't my business.
  • LoneWolf_70
    Options
    to Virgo: IDK what her story has to do with your own. Im speaking specifically about the facts of THIS story, which on the face, seem implausible. Now, im not saying it didnt happen, but for the sake of all (victims/accused rightly or wrongly) we OWE it to those people to ask the tough questions. How we feel about it based on personal experiences shouldnt really be in the equation.
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I think the mere fact that the poster thought a debate about rape fit under "Chit-Chat, Fun, and Games" is very, very sad indeed.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Which unfortunately happens quite often. There are some strange attention seekers out there who will do or say anything regardless of whom it hurts just to justify sexual actions they are regretful about.

This.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    NextPage wrote: »
    I think the mere fact that the poster thought a debate about rape fit under "Chit-Chat, Fun, and Games" is very, very sad indeed.

Can I ask you where this topic would be put then? OP wanted to discuss a topic that is very serious IMO.

• TheVirgoddess
    Options
    to Virgo: IDK what her story has to do with your own. Im speaking specifically about the facts of THIS story, which on the face, seem implausible. Now, im not saying it didnt happen, but for the sake of all (victims/accused rightly or wrongly) we OWE it to those people to ask the tough questions. How we feel about it based on personal experiences shouldnt really be in the equation.

I brought up my story because you said this:
    if this case is a hoax or she's delusional it only harms the ppl who are really raped.

So my response was entirely relevant.

My argument is that it does *not* harm people "who are really raped".

We are not owed the facts of her story - she does not need to be tried by the public court. She chose not to press charges, and that's it. It doesn't matter if she's lying, or not. If the accused want to clear their names, then they can so do the same way she chose to share her story.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    But it is a reminder that while women, or men, who come forward with accusations of sexual violence deserve to be treated with support and respect, the sensitive nature of these cases is no reason to suspend rational judgment.

Read more: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2014/12/04/the_uva_rape_story_a_cautionary_tale_in_skepticism_124841.html#ixzz3L29e7819

I do want to say that I agree with this, too. I think if you press charges against someone and claim sexual assault, you should absolutely be questioned, because it's a very serious charge.

I think the difference for me is that you should be questioned by the police, not the public at large.

Just wanted to clear that up.