Anyone trying to lose weight to look cute in clothes?

Options

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    No. But I do. ;-)
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Not my primary motivation, but it's on the list. Every time I go shopping, there's a ton of really cute clothes that would just look terrible on me due to my weight. I would love to be able to try on that really cute top and have it actually look good!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    My favorite look is like Lucy Liu in Elementary, like A-line dresses with long coats, and since I have so far never gained weight in my calves or ankles I am still good to go. What motivates me is feeling comfortable in the clothes I do have.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Um, it was the ONLY motivation I had/still have. Looking good naked is why I do what I do. All other perks of being fit are simply icing on the cupcake.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Are overalls back in, now? ...Again? Yeesh. I am reminded why I hate to shop for clothes, everything is so dang hideous (not you personally, OP. Just maybe your occasional choice in clothes)
  • marinabreeze
    marinabreeze Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    It's not my primary motivation, but it's a motivator. I work in business and I want to be able to look more refined and have more diverse choices in business attire. Girdles only do so much. Also, the straw that broke the camel's back for me was looking in the mirror and not liking what I saw at all. That got me thinking I had to really do something about the weight.
  • toofatnomore
    toofatnomore Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Yeah I guess so! :p
  • julzwild
    julzwild Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Being able to look decent at work was my #1 motivator as I outgrew all my clothes and refused to buy bigger clothes, so I ended up wearing stuff that was way too tight and unflattering or older things I had that were bigger but very dumpy. Along the way, I've gained energy and feel loads better which is just awesome but I'm not going to lie- vanity was my initial motivation!
  • luvahgilahsa
    luvahgilahsa Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    I'd rather look good naked. *shrug* :ohwell:

Haha that too... But I can't go around the middle of winter naked everywhere right? ;)
  • luvahgilahsa
    Options
    Definitely. One of the biggest motivators for me in deciding to lose weight was realizing that I was looking at clothing ads and thinking to myself, "No, I am too heavy to wear that." I want to feel comfortable in whatever I feel like wearing!!

I fee ya! Whenever Im online shopping I always have to check if I can look good in whatever the model is wearing... Sometimes I'll find something really cute and but it and not even get it over my head... Especially one of those one size fits all stuff... One size fits all my butt
  • luvahgilahsa
    Options
    Good god yes. I don't have very good fashion sense since I've spent years being too fat to shop just anywhere. But I even have it on my profile. One thing that motivates me is pretty dresses :) I'm SOOOOO giddy every time I go clothes shopping now. It's like Christmas, I always find something in my size now.

Yay congratulations!!! I also have spent many years wearing loose and baggy and dark colored clothes in order to hide my fat, but that's not what I want to wear! When I initially lost 30 pounds I went crazy shopping for new clothes that fit my new body and I loved being able to just buy whatever and have it look good. Now that I have gained 20 pounds back... I want to go back to being able to look good in cute clothes!
  • luvahgilahsa
    Options
    NextPage wrote: »
    At 51 I do have other motivators but this also ranks extremely high on my list. Whether better health is a bonus or its your main goal it doesn't really matter. If thinking of cute clothes helps you get from A to B, what could be 'bad" about it. I even went out and brought a cute dress in a smaller size to help me loss my last 15 lbs (I have my eye on the prize). I actually look at it my closet when I start thinking about things like icecream too much.

Haha just imagine a whole closet full of clothes that are 4 sizes too small! (I just gained 20 pounds in a year)
  • luvahgilahsa
    Options
    That was my first motivation. And using pictures to track progress, IMHO, is better than the scale. Ive been at the same weight for the last month and a half but know I have lost fat through pictures and how my clothes feel.

I think so too! Nothing feels better than having clothes grow on ya! I'm waiting for my whole closet to unshrink to its "original size :)
    Do you find that tracking through pictures is easier?
  • luvahgilahsa
    Options
    hellokathy wrote: »
    It definitely isn't a bad motivation. I think, although not everyone may be a fashion victim, looking good and feeling better about themselves is part of pretty much everyone's motivation. Clothes are a big part of that as it's how most of us express ourselves. If you can't wear the clothes you feel represent your personality, that's depressing.

It's definitely part of my motivation, too. As a big girl, I have zero fashion sense. However, give me a thinner girl that I'm supposed to create a style for and I have a million ideas. Although that fills me with anxiety. I think if I have have no problem with being overweight anymore, it'll be replaced by money problems because I won't be able to stop buying clothes. :#

I love what you said about clothes being what helps us express ourselves. I have always been a bigger girl growing up, and to make it worse I grew up in China. The clothing shops just don't make clothes that fit me at all, especially the pretty dresses that my friends wear. I never got to wear pretty clothes that fit me until I came to America. I remember my aunt took me shopping and couldn't find anything in the little girl section that so she bought me a set of clothes from the boys section and I cried. It is pretty depressing not be able to wear what you want to wear and be forced to dressed in clothes that you don't want to be dressed in.
  • luvahgilahsa
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    how you dress is a HUGE part of expressing our individuality.

having the inside not match the outside is MAD FRUSTRATING.

wanting to fix that misalignment is what got me started, but a way awesome lifestyle is what kept me hooked.

I hope I see the results soon to keep me motivated!
  • luvahgilahsa
    edited December 2014
    Options
    justcat206 wrote: »
    It definitely keeps me on track. I sometimes notice the bulges in my clothes before I think to weigh myself on the scale.

That's awesome! I hope I get to do that soon too! I'm thinking about going by the pictures and weighing myself every week or 2. Is that good?
    I love your socks!

Yes, looking cute in clothes and feeling good about the way I look in my smaller clothes is definitely a big motivation.

Haha thanks! They're pandas!
  • luvahgilahsa
    Options
    I can't say I used clothes to motivate me to lose weight but now that the weight's off through healthy eating and exercise the clothing I have now keeps me motivated to do that workout some days because I will NOT have a spare tire over my jeans ever again!

Say no to muffin tops! That's my goal too!
    I think looking good in the clothes they like is part of most everyone's motivation, and having fashion focused goals is completely fine and not at all bad motivation. It's a big part of my motivation too; there are a lot of clothes I'd like to wear that I never have because of my body, and the idea of getting to wear that stuff motivates me.

I'm currently tracking myself without a scale and through what I look like too, I'm using clothes and how they fit to determine whether I'm gaining or losing. Friend me if you like? Your fashion sense is super cute.
    Thanks for agreeing with me! I will add you :)
  • luvahgilahsa
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Why have you taken a picture with your fingers up at everyone?
    No. But I do. ;-)

That dress is much cuter than camel toe overalls! :laugh:
    It's a peace sign and what did I ever do to u?
  • luvahgilahsa
    Options
    No. But I do. ;-)
    Looking good! I love the dress!
  • luvahgilahsa
    Options
    Not my primary motivation, but it's on the list. Every time I go shopping, there's a ton of really cute clothes that would just look terrible on me due to my weight. I would love to be able to try on that really cute top and have it actually look good!

Me too! I would love to just buy things without trying it on first....