Anyone trying to lose weight to look cute in clothes?

Options

Replies

• luvahgilahsa
    luvahgilahsa Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    My favorite look is like Lucy Liu in Elementary, like A-line dresses with long coats, and since I have so far never gained weight in my calves or ankles I am still good to go. What motivates me is feeling comfortable in the clothes I do have.

Oh my gosh I love a-line dresses! I would love to have an actual waste and curves to wear things like that!
  • luvahgilahsa
    Options
    Are overalls back in, now? ...Again? Yeesh. I am reminded why I hate to shop for clothes, everything is so dang hideous (not you personally, OP. Just maybe your occasional choice in clothes)

Hmmmmmm I don't see anything wrong with overalls... They're in again
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    it's definitely a huge source of motivation for me too, my health is fine so it's always been about looking better and having more confidence for me!
  • luvahgilahsa
    Options
    It's not my primary motivation, but it's a motivator. I work in business and I want to be able to look more refined and have more diverse choices in business attire. Girdles only do so much. Also, the straw that broke the camel's back for me was looking in the mirror and not liking what I saw at all. That got me thinking I had to really do something about the weight.

I'm also in a field where my looks and my weight means a lot so I definitely want to look good in order to succeed!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    I'd rather look good naked. *shrug* :ohwell:
    This is my overall motivation. While looking good in clothes is a plus, once it comes off... well... you know. **insert comment about the lights being on, etc**

Agreed.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Why have you taken a picture with your fingers up at everyone?
    No. But I do. ;-)

That dress is much cuter than camel toe overalls! :laugh:
    It's a peace sign and what did I ever do to u?

Um, yeah, about that. Two fingers up and your palm facing outwards is the peace sign in the US; also known as the Victory sign in Australia and UK. Two fingers up and your palm facing towards you is an insult in the UK/Australia, kind of like the middle finger in the US.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    No. But I do. ;-)

Being a lot younger certainly doesn't help. Meow!
  • Daisy253
    Daisy253 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    I'd rather look good naked. *shrug* :ohwell:

+1
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Yeah, it's part of it. I looked a lot better in clothes 15 lbs ago. Also, it was way easier to clean up at sales. So many more 2s and 4s than even 8s. I used to find things discounted several times over
  • sophomorelove
    sophomorelove Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I found this amazing asymmetric shirt in an upscale consignment store, and I can't wait to be able to wear it. It's the only small item I own today. I had kept my old small clothes for years in my closet, hoping to eventually lose weight, but I realized it was kind of depressing. So I donated them all and filled my warderobe with clothes that I love in my current size. It helps me focus on every day progress and feeling confident, rather than shameful.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I'll admit it's part of it for me. Mostly it's to be healthy and feel better and more confident, but the idea of fitting into cute clothes again is definitely on the list.

Of course, I'm only 5'1" so even if I reach my goal weight, I still won't fit into store clothes without getting them altered and I still won't look good in most cute styles, since fashion is designed for tall model-like women. It will be nice to fit easily into some of the more classic work styles I buy at the few petites stores we have here, mind you.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    No and yes. I love fashion so even at my top weight Im rocking super styling clothes, BUT, I miss my bikinis and my tiny dresses!!! Skin tight curve hugging stretchy dresses with 5" heels!!! :cry:
    That's my goal for the summer. To be back into a bikini and a killer dress.
    Also, I want to look AMAZING in my wedding dress (June 2016).
  • eludication
    eludication Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I want to be able to wear whatever I want. Don't think I've shown my arms bare in years.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    No. But I do. ;-)

It's not a peace sign, and I'm allowed to have a different opinion of what is 'cute'. For me, neither camel toe nor overalls are cute, but the sparkly dress I liked. That's all.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    No. But I do. ;-)

That's not a peace sign. A peace sign is palm out. Palm in (the reverse of a peace sign) is an insult that's the same as the giving someone the middle finger. So essentially to some users, you are insulting them with that hand gesture.
    The meaning of the V sign is partially dependent on the manner in which the hand is positioned:

If the palm of the hand faces the signer (i.e., the back of the hand faces the observer), the sign signifies:
    • An insult. This usage is restricted largely to Australia, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa, and the United Kingdom.
    • The number '2' in American Sign Language.
    With the back of the hand facing the signer (palm of the hand facing the observer), it can mean:
    • two (the number) – a non-verbal communication of quantity.
    • Victory – in a setting of wartime or competition. It was first popularised in January 1941 by Victor de Laveleye, a Belgian politician, who asked the Belgians to choose the sign as a symbol of unity. First, it was mostly used in Belgium, but soon other allies copied the symbol. It is sometimes made using both hands with upraised arms as US President Eisenhower, and in imitation of him, Richard Nixon, used to do.
    • Peace, or friend – used around the world by peace and counter-culture groups; popularized in the American peace movement of the 1960s.
    • V (the letter) – used when spelling in American Sign Language.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    First I'd have to say that I really don't see from your picture how you would have 30 pounds to lose, even if it's not showing much.... You must have a pretty aggressive goal.

But yeah, looking good (although I'm too old for 'cute') was definitely a factor, no use arguing about that one!
  • Revonue
    Revonue Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Definitely!

It's not the only reason- increased health and fitness are also very important, obviously. But as I lose weight both my love of shopping and the amount of clothes I can fit into and look cute in increases :) Eventually, I hope to be confident enough to wear styles that make me feel and look good. As a person who has been overweight most of my life, I got sick of jeans and plain T-shirts.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    No. But I do. ;-)

That's not a peace sign. A peace sign is palm out. Palm in (the reverse of a peace sign) is an insult that's the same as the giving someone the middle finger. So essentially to some users, you are insulting them with that hand gesture.
    The meaning of the V sign is partially dependent on the manner in which the hand is positioned:

If the palm of the hand faces the signer (i.e., the back of the hand faces the observer), the sign signifies:
    • An insult. This usage is restricted largely to Australia, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa, and the United Kingdom.
    • The number '2' in American Sign Language.
    With the back of the hand facing the signer (palm of the hand facing the observer), it can mean:
    • two (the number) – a non-verbal communication of quantity.
    • Victory – in a setting of wartime or competition. It was first popularised in January 1941 by Victor de Laveleye, a Belgian politician, who asked the Belgians to choose the sign as a symbol of unity. First, it was mostly used in Belgium, but soon other allies copied the symbol. It is sometimes made using both hands with upraised arms as US President Eisenhower, and in imitation of him, Richard Nixon, used to do.
    • Peace, or friend – used around the world by peace and counter-culture groups; popularized in the American peace movement of the 1960s.
    • V (the letter) – used when spelling in American Sign Language.

Never knew any of this. You learn something new everyday.

I'm sure she didn't mean to offend. It's a common hand gesture used in pics and selfies in the US. I see it all the time.
  • luvahgilahsa
    Options
    An insult. This usage is restricted largely to Australia, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa, and the United Kingdom.
    I'm American and nobody here has ever heard of the insult through reverse peace sign. I'm sorry if this offended anyone.
  • luvahgilahsa
    Options

Never knew any of this. You learn something new everyday.

I'm sure she didn't mean to offend. It's a common hand gesture used in pics and selfies in the US. I see it all the time.

Thank You!
    I even went around and asked all of my friends and nobody knew that it was the middle finger in other countries. It is very common here in the US right?