Getting Frustrated and Talking about Giving Up

Options

I admit I whine when the scale doesn't move in my favor, if I dont feel like my body is changing fast enough I complain. I say "thats it, todays the last day Im not doing this anymore." But guess what, when I get up in the morning I still work out and still count calories! Its like an addiction now, I cant stop.

I not longer get upset at myself when I want to give up because tho I feel like giving up I dont! If the scale doesnt work with me today, it will someday. The most important part is at the least maintaining.

PS...the scale DID move today :)

Replies

• chucktate
    chucktate Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I often get mad at my scale for failing me on days I expect it to move :) I think they are defective. haha. On days I feel like I am burnt out, I take that day as a day of small indulges. Many times, I never get around to indulging, but the thought of it, gives me something to get my mind off of the negative. Then I skip the scale the next day and get back on track. I do have to remind myself, that exercising I do is for getting my body ready for ski season. Also, eating better should be a habit and lifestyle. Not something that is beat into us. Another thing to remember is the scale may not move because you retained more water today then yesterday and so on. There may be more food in your system that hasn't passed yet. But stay true to yourself and cheat a little if you have to, then jump back in. I worked with a physical therapist and she told me to have one day a week for small indulges. I thought, that was pretty cool. Many weeks, I never treat myself. But knowing on any given day, I could just say, heck with it. I am going to the frozen yogurt shop and treating myself.

Good Luck!
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    Are you exercising as well as counting cals? A lot of people on here say that losing weight is 80-90% food and 10-20% exercise, but I feel like it's almost the opposite for me.

Exercise makes me feel better, have more energy, feel fuller faster, and helps me drop inches and pounds.

My husband can always tell if I have worked out or not on any given day because its impacts on me are so great. For the first few months, every time I was on the edge of giving up, I would ask him if it made a difference when I worked out.

Now, around six months in, I can definitely tell if I don't get in at least 30-60 min. of exercise per day because I simply don't feel like myself without if.

Like dropping pounds is an awesome feeling, so is running a race and seeing your time drop. It doesn't hurt either when I pass people who are significantly smaller and seemingly more fit than me who are huffing and puffing during the later miles.
  • ChristinaLConway
    ChristinaLConway Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising as well as counting cals? A lot of people on here say that losing weight is 80-90% food and 10-20% exercise, but I feel like it's almost the opposite for me.

Exercise makes me feel better, have more energy, feel fuller faster, and helps me drop inches and pounds.

My husband can always tell if I have worked out or not on any given day because its impacts on me are so great. For the first few months, every time I was on the edge of giving up, I would ask him if it made a difference when I worked out.

Now, around six months in, I can definitely tell if I don't get in at least 30-60 min. of exercise per day because I simply don't feel like myself without if.

Like dropping pounds is an awesome feeling, so is running a race and seeing your time drop. It doesn't hurt either when I pass people who are significantly smaller and seemingly more fit than me who are huffing and puffing during the later miles.

yep, working out and counting calories. Im averaging over a pound a week loss so I dont really have a right to complain. But hey I wanna wake up fit and it just hasnt happened yet! So for now Ill keep putting the work in.
  • Terraforcejenny
    Terraforcejenny Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Ughh I hear you. Especially when you're creating the habits that lead to fitness; for me, when I first lost weight, it was a combination of habitually recording food (so I could be aware of my intake) and THEN the exercising regularly (I started doing it before entering my food logs, so they fed into each other :) ).
    Now I'm looking at pants that used to fit, and don't, and so desperate to just be my old size again! :( It's hard to stay motivated!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I think that feeling like they MUST might really hurt people. Give yourself permission to do what you want, every day, every minute.

If you don't feeling like eating right and exercising, don't do it!

You should only do it if you want to do it and it makes you happy.

I think a lot of people would find out that they really wanted to diet if they weren't so busy fighting against the fact that they must.
  • 0_Chrissie_0
    Options
    I offend go down that path as well. I feel the same way about the scale not moving. I get super annoyed when weeks of hard work hasn't shown it's pretty face. And even when I try to give up...I can't because it is all I think about.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    BRAVO!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    An early mistake I made is overestimating the credit exercise gives me, and underestimating the work involved.

BUT as exercise got easier, it became easier to do more of it.

AS I FOUND calorie traps like Costco chocolate chip cookies or French Fries, suddenly they were not as attractive any more. They were just too darned expensive.

http://www.ted.com/talks/emily_balcetis_why_some_people_find_exercise_harder_than_others
  • jgnatca
    Options
    P.S. I hate the scale. It is mean. I sweat out a really good week, and it doesn't give me credit. So I pretend it doesn't matter and keep going. Very much what you describe. I can so relate!
  • grantwashere
    grantwashere Posts: 171 Member
    Options

I admit I whine when the scale doesn't move in my favor, if I dont feel like my body is changing fast enough I complain. I say "thats it, todays the last day Im not doing this anymore." But guess what, when I get up in the morning I still work out and still count calories! Its like an addiction now, I cant stop.

I not longer get upset at myself when I want to give up because tho I feel like giving up I dont! If the scale doesnt work with me today, it will someday. The most important part is at the least maintaining.

PS...the scale DID move today :)

TrendWeight.com really helped me with this. I look forward to weighing in every morning now. Even when the scale is up, if the little green arrow is down, I know I am still moving in the right direction. And, it's FREE!!!
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I'm totally getting that, grant.
  • Ferrous_Female_Dog
    Ferrous_Female_Dog Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Good for you!

For those who still struggle consider this:

If you keep at it you might see results
    If you give up you definitely don't see results

Which is the greater risk?
  • radiosilents
    radiosilents Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this thread. I am having a really hard time dealing today.

I am a daily weigher because I like the data (i.e. TrendWeight, which I will definitely sign up for when I get an Aria!), but I admit, sometimes it is really frustrating! :( I am usually really good about not taking the numbers to heart, but some days...

I have been playing with the same two pounds since November 19th. I really, really thought I would see a positive change this morning on the scale, and instead it surprised me with another pound UP.

Intellectually I know all the things. I do. Sometimes emotions take over. I'm honestly not sure what I am going to do today. I really want to eat some junk. My partner and I have a healthy dinner planned, so I might just go off on lunch and just deal. I don't know.

*sigh*
  • chucktate
    chucktate Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Radiosilents, you need to stay the course. I don't know your details of your food intake or exercise, but sometimes with a holiday where we splurge gets in the way, it takes a while for your body to get clean again. Also, are you treating yourself to some indulgence once a week or so? Sometimes what helps for me is to stock up on different food and mix it up some. I had worried about running out of ideas of eating breakfast. It was getting real boring. I was told by someone I was working with in physical therapy, why eat breakfast items? So I started eating anything, any time of the day. Chicken and turkey for breakfast :)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Im finding the scale very motivating at the moment and I like chasing it down, which gets me into the gym. If I see a good number ok thats progress and if its a number ive seen before it renews my resolve to move it the other way. Notwithstanding the natural fluctuations ofc. Plotting results helps keep that in perspective. Notwithstanding there are other measures such as the tape measure and looking in the mirror.

If you do enough exercise in a week you cna move it, all things being equal. Thats quite an incentive.

Oh and radiosilents, ont worry, chill a bit and keep doing the right things like logging accurately and your exercise. It will move.