excess protein

so when I got home from school I had to make something to eat, looking through my freezer, I came across a package of extra lean ground chicken. I threw it on the skillet, boiled up some veggies. after I finished eatting, I was about to put my dishes away when I realized there was still a good amount of ground chicken left, I thought eh whatever and ate the rest. after looking at the package, I realized that I just ate 0.5kg of chicken! 0.5kg=500g / 500g of chicken = 125g of protein! my protein goal is around 80g and going overboard kind of annoys me. but this got me thinking, what if tomorrow I only consumed around 35g of protein? so even though I got 125g on thursday but only got 35g on friday, i still manage to stay within my protein goals for the last two days..

the reason im asking this is cause i know any excess protein the body doesnt need, it will expel, but if I get less tommorow, i could basically erase the (for lack of better word) "protein binge"

Replies

• feralX
    feralX Posts: 334 Member
    No. Just return to your regular diet.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Unless you exceed a really outlandish amount, excess protein is generally considered a good thing... especially if you are doing any resistance training. If you really went overboard (and I doubt that amount of protein would be that excessive) and do no weight training at all then possibly you could have some negative effects on your kidneys and such... However, Protein is the building block of muscle and I regularly try to exceed my protein goal for the day. The standard MFP recommendations are actually fairly low (20%) for protein, especially for an active person. If you do any weight training, most recommend a gram of protein for each pound of lean body mass to aid in muscle reconstruction.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    My daily protein goal is 140 grams, so I'm sure you're fine.
  • CinthyN
    CinthyN Posts: 64 Member
    Just be cautious though ... too much protein can cause gout!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    I'm still trying to get over eating half a kilo of chicken and veggies! I think I'd vomit first. How did you get it all down?!

You cannot undo yesterday's chicken, but there's no real need to undo it.

Nobody is really sure what causes gout, but being fat, eating lots of meat and seafood, drinking alcohol and having relatives who had it tend to show up a lot.
  • Kalikel wrote: »
    I'm still trying to get over eating half a kilo of chicken and veggies! I think I'd vomit first. How did you get it all down?!

half a kilo is not much actually
  • feralX
    feralX Posts: 334 Member
    I wouldn't worry too much about gout from your "binge". I've been in the +400gram range daily for about 9 years. Gout free :D
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited December 2014
    Kalikel wrote: »

half a kilo is not much actually
    Of ground chicken?! It is to me! Plus veggies?

I don't think I could eat a pound, much less 1.6 pounds of ground chicken. Add in the veggies and...wow.

Different appetites, I guess. That's pretty impressive.

I wouldn't worry about gout from dinner, either. :)

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    MrM27 wrote: »
    CinthyN wrote: »

What? Who told you that?

it's not protein per se, but some of the sources of protein

"Gout occurs when urate crystals accumulate in your joint, causing the inflammation and intense pain of a gout attack. Urate crystals can form when you have high levels of uric acid in your blood.

Your body produces uric acid when it breaks down purines — substances that are found naturally in your body, as well as in certain foods, such as steak, organ meats and seafood. Other foods also promote higher levels of uric acid, such as alcoholic beverages, especially beer, and drinks sweetened with fruit sugar (fructose).

Normally, uric acid dissolves in your blood and passes through your kidneys into your urine. But sometimes your body either produces too much uric acid or your kidneys excrete too little uric acid. When this happens, uric acid can build up, forming sharp, needle-like urate crystals in a joint or surrounding tissue that cause pain, inflammation and swelling."

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/gout/basics/causes/con-20019400

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/gout-diet/art-20048524
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    you will be fine.

You may grow massive mussels overnight though. Be careful.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    MrM27 wrote: »
    CinthyN wrote: »

What? Who told you that?

Animal proteins can *aggravate* gout, but the actual causes are much more complex than that.