The every other day diet

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I don't know if it CURES diabetes, but they are in remission, if that's the correct term?? Eg they are able to completely get off their diabetes medication
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    While I'm not entirely sure where I stand on this yet, I'm trying it. Here's why, in case anyone cares:

Binging, I believe, is a result of restriction. As soon as I tell myself I am BAD for eating that cookie and I'm NEVER having a cookie again, or maybe I can have one when I get to a goal that I never hit, you're damn right I'm going to eventually 'mess up' and then 'have a cookie' cause I'm such a screw up and today is ruined and I'm going to start again tomorrow, for real this time. So, for me, if I can tell myself to 'wait until tomorrow' - I can manage that! And on my regular days, since I'm allowed to eat "basically" what I like, nothing is not "allowed" - I don't set up the binge cycle then either.

So, I've done one fast day so who really knows. I'm about to do a second one tomorrow. It really is about what works for you.

BB

I have achieved the mental aspects of what you are talking about just by pre-planning my meals. Sorry, can't have that cookie, it isn't on today's plan. If it is a cookie in the house, put it on tomorrow's plan. If it was a cookie at a party, bye-bye cookie.

Also, when I do go off the plan, I don't wait until tomorrow to get back on it. Once the cookie is gone, I get right back on the plan.

Exactly. I've been doing it this way since August with very few hiccups--I've tried starving myself, fasting, etc and all that leads to is guilt and shame-eating for me. I'm thinking about calories like money now--except I don't pay off my debt. I move on.

If this works for anyone out there, fantastic. A daily "budget" works best for me, as this is the longest I've ever dieted.

And Gale--I knew a girl in college who put her diabetes into remission with a VLC shake diet her doctor put her on. I would talk to your doctor about that before you embark on something like this on your own with only internet research.

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I don't know if it CURES diabetes, but they are in remission, if that's the correct term?? Eg they are able to completely get off their diabetes medication

Weight loss does that, fasting doesn't.

What you're talking about is called, "confirmation bias." Of course members of a group are going to have success and post about it, because the ones that fail leave the group and stay silent. Just look at all the groups here, and how people get recruited to them.

"I'm curious about 'xyz' method of eating."
    "OH! 'XYZ' is amazing! Here, come join this 'xyz' group I'm in! They'll all tell you how wonderful it is! Then you won't have to deal with anyone on the main forum who might tell you it's not wonderful."

Happens every day.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Hamoncan the longer I've been doing it, the easier it has become. It's gotten to the stage that I look forward to fast days.
    I have up to 500 calories on down days and 1550 on up days. I've only got 5kgs (11lbs ) left to lose, so have to be super strict. Once I get down to my goal weight I'll do 6:1 to maintain, meaning just one fast day a week.

isn't that dieting every day - no way is 1550 your TDEE

so that works out at a 1050 calorie a day diet - so lower than the basic recommendation of at least 1200 a day for women

doesn't seem like a brilliant idea to me to follow in the long-term
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Rabbitjb I'm down to my last 5kgs (11lbs) so I have to be super strict. I dropped from 1750-1800 down to 1550 calories last week.
  • MargaretSobers
    MargaretSobers Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    NO I am not much interested in this book.
  • KimofTas
    KimofTas Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I'm on all the Facebook fasting groups. And the amount of posts I've read from people reversing their diabetes to their terrible bloods coming back perfect etc etc is astounding. I think the health benefits to fasting equal the weight loss benefits.

That is an interesting diet. Fasting is almost a universal practice world wide so it must have some 'real' value. I will try to read how it has help cure diabetes.
    Universal practice?
    How it cures diabetes? Really? Cures diabetes? My god you're clueless.

Wow, Rude.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Rabbitjb I'm down to my last 5kgs (11lbs) so I have to be super strict. I dropped from 1750-1800 down to 1550 calories last week.

the less you have to lose the lower your calorie defecit should be not the higher to help protect your lean muscle mass and get you ready for a system of maintenance.

In my understanding rather than dropping your calories, you should have been slowing down your rate of loss to about 0.5lb loss a week. That basically means by cutting 250 approximately from your TDEE - if you want to do so by an every other day method that really makes very little difference

so for example if your TDEE is say 2000 - you should be eating 1750 a day (12,250 a week) - if 3 days a week you eat 500 calories (1500 calories) - the other 4 days you should be eating around 2,680 calories

• PaulJRaymond
    PaulJRaymond Posts: 100 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'm on all the Facebook fasting groups. And the amount of posts I've read from people reversing their diabetes to their terrible bloods coming back perfect etc etc is astounding. I think the health benefits to fasting equal the weight loss benefits.

That is an interesting diet. Fasting is almost a universal practice world wide so it must have some 'real' value. I will try to read how it has help cure diabetes.
    Universal practice?

She didn't say "cured" though, did she? Any form of weight loss will alleviate symptons of type 2 diabetes, so perhaps not this particular diet, but any successful diet will reverse symptons. Perhaps you should pause slightly before slinging the insults around?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options

Universal practice?

She didn't say "cured" though, did she? Any form of weight loss will alleviate symptons of type 2 diabetes, so perhaps not this particular diet, but any successful diet will reverse symptons. Perhaps you should pause slightly before slinging the insults around?
    Weight loss in general mediates diabetes regression. The twinkie diet will reverse diabetes when consumed in a deficit. I could sprinkle a tsp of sugar on everything I eat and reverse diabetes if I eat in a deficit......Cleanses are a a sales pitch and not a medical term.

• feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Type 1 diabetes is genetic. Type 2 comes from beating the crap out of your pancreas by eating too many carbs. Yes, people fix it all the time by chilling on the sugar.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    It's a good book. People interested should read it, and also the people with no interest or knowledge about it who feel compelled to post their opinions of it in every thread about it.

It's written by a PhD who's been studying it for many years so the health claims aren't all just confirmation bias.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Type 1 diabetes is genetic. Type 2 comes from beating the crap out of your pancreas by eating too many carbs. Yes, people fix it all the time by chilling on the sugar.

That's not exactly accurate either. I did not chill one bit on the sugar and carbs but my weight loss and the increase in physical activity has taken me from being pre-diabetic at 115 glucose to having a normal 70-83 blood sugar.

A side note: I do notice that when I go through phases of every other day diet every now and then, my numbers do tend to hover on the lower side even on the mass 2500 calorie carb laden eating days. Anecdotal, but it would be interesting to investigate further.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    It's a good book. People interested should read it, and also the people with no interest or knowledge about it who feel compelled to post their opinions of it in every thread about it.

It's written by a PhD who's been studying it for many years so the health claims aren't all just confirmation bias.

Actually the kindle version of the book is currently at a massive discount on amazon for the month of december.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Well, yeah, that's why I suggested people read it. :)

By the way, you don't need a Kindle or any ereader to read Kindle format books. Amazon has a free reader tool so you can read on your monitor or tablet or phone.

The book is short and easy reading. You could read it in a couple hours.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

the less you have to lose the lower your calorie defecit should be not the higher to help protect your lean muscle mass and get you ready for a system of maintenance.

In my understanding rather than dropping your calories, you should have been slowing down your rate of loss to about 0.5lb loss a week. That basically means by cutting 250 approximately from your TDEE - if you want to do so by an every other day method that really makes very little difference

so for example if your TDEE is say 2000 - you should be eating 1750 a day (12,250 a week) - if 3 days a week you eat 500 calories (1500 calories) - the other 4 days you should be eating around 2,680 calories

rabbitjb is to help reduce the chances of 'rebound' weight gain after a large deficit calorie diet?
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    #shortcutsdontwork
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Hamoncan the longer I've been doing it, the easier it has become. It's gotten to the stage that I look forward to fast days.
    I have up to 500 calories on down days and 1550 on up days. I've only got 5kgs (11lbs ) left to lose, so have to be super strict. Once I get down to my goal weight I'll do 6:1 to maintain, meaning just one fast day a week.

You're averaging 1000 calories everyday; that seems really low, and it may not be sustainable. You might want to reconsider your calorie intake on your up days.

Overall, it seems like just another way of creating a deficit; if it works for you great, if it doesn't don't do it. That said, it seems like you really need to make sure your calorie counts are accurate and that you're getting adequate micro and macronutrients.

ETA: the 500 calories on down days seems arbitrary and seems like it would make more sense if it was a percentage of your maintenance calories. It doesn't seem like someone who burns 2000 calories a day and someone who burns 4000 calories a day should eat the same amount on their down days (and their deficit will be drastically different).
  • amusedmonkey
    edited December 2014
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    ETA: the 500 calories on down days seems arbitrary and seems like it would make more sense if it was a percentage of your maintenance calories. It doesn't seem like someone who burns 2000 calories a day and someone who burns 4000 calories a day should eat the same amount on their down days (and their deficit will be drastically different).

In the book it says the testing was conducted on 25% of maintenance calories, but for the sake of simplicity it's okay to do 500 calories since it's a close average for most people, and a bit lower or higher should not be an issue. When I do it, I do it at 25% of my maintenance (550 calories) but that's only because I like an extra snack.