HRM Help!

Options
I have a Polar H6 HRM and the sensor is driving me mad. My husband uses it and he says it works just fine. With me, it will connect then give wonky numbers (HR 170 and I haven't even started yet. I'm not THAT out of shape and I can take a pulse to know that it's nowhere close to that) Then it will suddenly drop super low or lose a connection all together. It is so frustrating to be working out and then find out that the data isn't reliable at all or there isn't any data period. I'm pretty sure i'm putting it on correctly, after all it isn't rocket science. I've cleaned the sensor and it's on fairly snug. The only thing I can think of is if my sports bra is hitting it or something like that. Any other thoughts or suggestions? I hate not knowing exactly what i'm burning.

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Are you wetting it before putting it on so it reads better? I always wet mine since it says to do that.
  • ghouliejulie85
    ghouliejulie85 Posts: 44 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Could it be the batteries? I have the Polar FT4 and I was close to throwing that thing out the window. For a couple of weeks mine would read the heart rate (sometimes it didn't) and a few seconds later drop to 00. It's been a week since I changed the batteries to both the strap and watch and so far no problems with it.
  • TheGrindalProject
    TheGrindalProject Posts: 33 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    mockchoc wrote: »
    Are you wetting it before putting it on so it reads better? I always wet mine since it says to do that.

I do wet it before I put it on. :)

Could it be the batteries? I have the Polar FT4 and I was close to throwing that thing out the window. For a couple of weeks mine would read the heart rate (sometimes it didn't) and a few seconds later drop to 00. It's been a week since I changed the batteries to both the strap and watch and so far no problems with it.

I haven't tried that, it's almost brand new and since my hubby had no trouble I didn't think to but I will try it. Thanks!

• dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Polar H7 last weekend and it worked fine for the first 2-3 workouts, and now I can't get it to sync. I have tried turning my blue tooth off and back on again, closing the app on my phone and re-opening it, making sure it's wet and snug, etc. Yesterday I just gave up and used what it said on Sunday. I will keep trying, but if anyone has any thoughts I would also appreciate it. I looked it up online and I will also try unsnapping it and waiting a few seconds and snapping it back on.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    are you sharing one? mine links to my watch, do you have your own watch or do you change the settings each time?

sounds like you aren't wearing the band tight enough or tucking it into the right place
    youtube for good instructions on how to wear the band

my battery went on my strap after 2 months and I had to replace it last week - that was annoying
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    A couple of possible options:

Not tight enough
    Too low on the sternum - as you say, the bra might interfere
    Battery
    Defect

All that said, given that your other post talks about doing body pump and your main priority being calorie expenditure, I'd suggest leaving it in your bag. Stuff like body pump isn't what the algorithms were designed for so the data are inaccurate anyway.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Not tight enough
    Too low on the sternum - as you say, the bra might interfere
    My immediate thoughts as well.
  • TheGrindalProject
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    are you sharing one? mine links to my watch, do you have your own watch or do you change the settings each time?
    It doesn't go to a watch, it goes to an app on my phone. So my app is customized to me :)
    A couple of possible options:

All that said, given that your other post talks about doing body pump and your main priority being calorie expenditure, I'd suggest leaving it in your bag. Stuff like body pump isn't what the algorithms were designed for so the data are inaccurate anyway.

Very true. I don't wear it so during Body Pump usually. More if I am running of doing Combat or T25. (I could only pick one main workout and BP was just my newest)

• MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Body Combat and T25 aren't really sessions where the HRM would be meaningful either :)

Running, subject to what sort of session you're doing, then yes.
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    What app are you using? Try a different one. I use a Digifit, the Polar Beat App is kind of light in the reports area.
  • TheGrindalProject
    Options
    Body Combat and T25 aren't really sessions where the HRM would be meaningful either :)

Running, subject to what sort of session you're doing, then yes.

Hmmm, interesting. How would you have any idea how many calories you burned though in something like T25?

MikeInAZ wrote: »
    What app are you using? Try a different one. I use a Digifit, the Polar Beat App is kind of light in the reports area.

I am using the Polar app. Perhaps i'll check out another one. I didn't think it would be a problem on the app end. Thanks for the suggestion

• MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Hmmm, interesting. How would you have any idea how many calories you burned though in something like T25?

Log it as circuit training or something like that. HRMs provide spurious accuracy, they're based on algorithms developed from subjects to consistent steady state work in the aerobic ranges, so as soon as there are significant transitions or anaerobic elements of the training then the calorie expenditure approximations become very dubious.

Similarly if the training isn't particularly strenuous, like walking. HR isn't a meaningful proxy for calorie expenditure there either
  • TheGrindalProject
    Options

Log it as circuit training or something like that. HRMs provide spurious accuracy, they're based on algorithms developed from subjects to consistent steady state work in the aerobic ranges, so as soon as there are significant transitions or anaerobic elements of the training then the calorie expenditure approximations become very dubious.

Similarly if the training isn't particularly strenuous, like walking. HR isn't a meaningful proxy for calorie expenditure there either

Awesome. I had no idea. Much appreciated!
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    FYI I have used Polar Beat, Digifit, Polar ft7 and the polar link built into the treadmill. All at the same time while using my H7. And I get different calorie burn results from all of them, sometimes up to 25% difference.

Use your results as a guideline. It really depends on the software crunching the numbers, and not so much the physical device.
  • TheGrindalProject
    Options
    MikeInAZ wrote: »
    FYI I have used Polar Beat, Digifit, Polar ft7 and the polar link built into the treadmill. All at the same time while using my H7. And I get different calorie burn results from all of them, sometimes up to 25% difference.

Use your results as a guideline. It really depends on the software crunching the numbers, and not so much the physical device.

Good to know! thanks!