I want to prove to the trainers at my gym I can do it myself!

Options
DJ7203
DJ7203 Posts: 497 Member
edited December 2014 in Fitness and Exercise
A lot of the trainers at my gym are always pushing their programs on me & acting as if I can't possibly get the results I want without their help. I'm not saying that they aren't great at what they do, because I'm sure they are! But I'm just not going to hire them because they pressure me or try to make me feel bad about myself. So I wanted to get some suggestions for good websites that I can build my own lifting/work out regimen with, get new ideas etc. I feel like I have been dong the same things for some time now & I know it's time to change it up or add & remove certain things. The avatar pic is how I look now, but I want to get leaner & more cut. That's my goal. Thanks for any suggestions :)

Replies

• mcblevins
    mcblevins Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I know this is obvious but bodybuilding.com has a bunch of different stuff and lets you kinda customize workouts to your goals.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    You realize that it matters little whether you can or can't...they are salesmen...they need clients to make money. You could be doing everything perfectly right and they would still try to sell you their services...that's how it owrks.

Just do a good program like Strong Curves or something.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    what kind of program do you currently follow?

and if your goal is to become leaner, it's more about what you eat, than how you work out. trust me, i've been stuck at the same weight for a year, and only started losing again when i tightened back down on my diet.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Why not use a program that has been used by many instead of trying to design your own.

Like Stronglifts, AllPro, New Rules of Lifting, Strong Curves, ICF, etc
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    You realize that it matters little whether you can or can't...they are salesmen...they need clients to make money. You could be doing everything perfectly right and they would still try to sell you their services...that's how it owrks.

Agreed.

Look into the boxed routines first - they are a number of them out there - and pick the one that is best suited to your goals and ability.

StrongLifts and New Rules are the most highly recommended, but a lot of that is regurgitation, so do some reading for yourself on the programs and go from there.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »

Agreed.

Look into the boxed routines first - they are a number of them out there - and pick the one that is best suited to your goals and ability.

StrongLifts and New Rules are the most highly recommended, but a lot of that is regurgitation, so do some reading for yourself on the programs and go from there.

I agree with both of these. Follow a program--unless you've studied this stuff, you'll most likely miss out on some important body parts or movements. When designing programs for ourselves, we tend to focus on movements/body parts we enjoy doing and ignoring the ones we don't. Predesigned programs by reputable sources will prevent these kinds of imbalances.

I've done StrongLifts, NROL4W, and programs from muscleandstrength.com. Right now I'm doing Wendler's 5/3/1 and love it, but it's more of an intermediate program.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    I had great success with this program.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/womans_lean_sexy_bible.htm

Good luck to you.
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I liked New Rules of Lifting for Women. If you are there consistently and use good form, they will notice and probably stop bothering you. That's what happened at my gym!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    DJ7203 wrote: »
    A lot of the trainers at my gym are always pushing their programs on me & acting as if I can't possibly get the results I want without their help. I'm not saying that they aren't great at what they do, because I'm sure they are! But I'm just not going to hire them because they pressure me or try to make me feel bad about myself. So I wanted to get some suggestions for good websites that I can build my own lifting/work out regimen with, get new ideas etc. I feel like I have been dong the same things for some time now & I know it's time to change it up or add & remove certain things. The avatar pic is how I look now, but I want to get leaner & more cut. That's my goal. Thanks for any suggestions :)
    Leaness and more "cutting" has more to do with your CICO than exercise.

As for workouts, there are so many you can do for free. Lots of times you don't have to change your actual format of your routine, but just the exercise. For instance instead of doing barbell curls, you switch to alternate dumbell curls.
    One thing I will say though. There is a difference of looking at how to do an exercise and actually performing it correctly. There are so many people who believe that they know how to do a bench press, squat, row correctly and in lots cases they do it incorrectly. By the time they get someone to give them feedback on it, many have habitually formed a bad execution and now start all over again with correct form.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png[/quote]
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    What he said. A good trainer is an investment in your health, future, and form. Unfortunately, it's not a short term investment, so a lot of people don't understand the value. It's a long term play.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Part of a PT's job at a gym includes selling themselves. A lot of gyms make them work on commission, so they are just trying to make a living just like you. If you're not interested, just don't engage.

On the other hand, it's not a bad idea to go to a PT to set up a personal plan and make sure you're doing everything right, which websites can't track. Websites also tell you how heavy you should be lifting to start either. I see a lot of people in the weight area with the worst form. You can get hurt with poor form and too heavy weights.
  • congruns
    congruns Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    To deal with salesmen, counter offer their price by about 80% and then they'll leave you alone. No sales men is going to waste time where there is no money to be made.
  • DJ7203
    DJ7203 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone for the advice & suggestions. I am going to look into Body Building.com & the Strong Lifts program they sound like what I am looking for.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »

Agreed.

I so enjoyed that last sentence.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    What he said. A good trainer is an investment in your health, future, and form. Unfortunately, it's not a short term investment, so a lot of people don't understand the value. It's a long term play.

Best money I have ever spent. Worth every single dollar and then some. My only regret was not hiring one sooner.