Hard to meet calories?

macnupe
macnupe Posts: 19
edited September 26 in Food and Nutrition
So my projected daily calories is 1200. It seems that I am having trouble meeting that everyday. Suprisingly, I am not going over, but I keep falling under 1200 calories.

I start the morning off with 30 minutes on the elliptical, with a preset program that increases and decreases as if I were running in hills and valleys. It estimates that I burn 500 calories.

So before I even get my day going, my calories is at 1700, considering the exercise.

Normally, I will eat 2 turkey sausage patties for a total of 120 calories.

Next I will eat a fruit, like today, I ate a medium orange, which the calorie counter clocked in at 85 calories.

Today lunch was aHealthy Choice entree for 310 cals and a granola bar for 90 cals= 400 lunch cals.

For an afternoon snack, I ate a green apple, for another 130 cals.

This puts me at 735 cals and its near 5:00. But it also estimates that I have 965 calories remaining.

Grant it, I may eat another granola bar for 90 cals. However, i will also be doing the p90x chest and arms workout, with an additional 16 minutes of Ab Ripper X. Even without a heart rate monitor, I estimate burning at least 300 cals. Even If I didnt burn any, Its gonna be hard to consume another 965 calories. I'll probably eat some chicken breast and maybe some eggs or some veggie.

This is a similar path on Monday -Thursdays. Friday. I have no workouts and may relax eating. Then the weekends, i may elax eating but still exercise.

I don't want to be in a deficit for the starvation mode. Help?

Thanks

Replies

• RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    drink chocolate protein shakes? Like chocolate milk?
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Yes, protein shakes, larger snacks (always eat a protein w/ your carbs, maybe a string cheese w/ your apple) & a larger breakfast. Have a pre workout mini meal & a after workout shake.
    Good luck
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Eat more at breakfast! It doesnt have to be all at once, but get a glass of milk or something else. 120 cals for a full meal is where you are running low!
  • tandroes
    tandroes Posts: 163 Member
    i would eat a bigger breakfast...even if it doesn't get you all the way up there calorie-wise, it is still better for you
  • sharesb
    sharesb Posts: 416 Member
    Nuts...almonds, cashews, peanut butter...they will help boost your calorie intake pretty quick and they are good for you ♥
  • ChirishGirl
    ChirishGirl Posts: 111
    I needed to see this post and the replies. I keep running into a similar thing at the end of day. Thanks all!
  • makeachange22
    makeachange22 Posts: 151
    bigger breakfast, small nuts , more fruit throughout the day , keep low cal granola bars on hand to much
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    You definitely want some good carbs and protein after a strength workout or any long cardio session. A glass of low fat chocolate milk or a protein shake (even better one that you make yourself with fresh ingredients) is the way to go. This will help you to meet your calorie goals and will replenish your muscles and help them to add mass after your workout.
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Milk is an easy way to add good calories. Also nuts...
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    I agree, have more protein and low fat dairy after your workout. Breakfast is your most important meal of the day; it should have complex carbs (fruit), dairy (lowfat...maybe a yogurt), and protein,.. and some sources say a whole grain as well with breakf. totaling at least 230 -250 calories.
    then a snack in about 3 hrs again a complex carb and protein/fat source... nuts/cheese/yogurt (dairy to be low fat) with fruit. The nuts are a good source of GOOD fats and calories.
    then lunch avg 300 -500 calories...balanced calories
    another snack in 3 hrs. - I also make homemade shakes with fresh/frozen fruit and lowfat milk or soy milk (LOVE Silk original soy milk for 60 cals.)
    supper avg 300 - 500 cals (to stay within your daily allotment)
    a snack before bed to keep insulin levels up while sleeping, BUT should not go to sleep on full stomach stop eating 1 1/2 - 2 hrs before bed.
    I take one day a week and cook/prepare meals ahead...use V8 juice in casseroles or spanish rice (brown rice) with a lot of veggies...onions/sweet peppers/ celery/garlic/ broccoli/ green beans ...etc. or soups/chowders/stews/... do roasts ahead with veggies then can use meat for salads or sandwiches later.
    Watch and get your water in Minimum of 8 8 oz glasses /day.

If you would like you may add me as friend, but will I tell you I am honest in my support and will let you know if I see a problem area as well as give positive support... will have to have diary open to friends.
    Good luck on your journey.
    Mae :-)
  • emilla
    emilla Posts: 3 Member
    Wish I had that problem! Agree you need more at breakfast. Could add yogurt, milk or rice milk & a slice or two of toast with a little butter or some low sugar preserves... double fiber oroweat bread is good, plus the fiber balances the carbs out a bit.
This discussion has been closed.