What cheese is similar in taste to sharp cheddar cheese?

Options
jenniator
jenniator Posts: 475 Member
edited December 2014 in Food and Nutrition
I've been wanting to make home made macaroni and cheese for a while now, but it's not really possible since I moved to the Netherlands. Here in the Netherlands, there isn't really cheddar cheese available. When I have found cheddar cheese, they are in very small blocks and very expensive. So I was wondering if anyone knows of a cheese similar to sharp cheddar. I heard aged gouda is similar and rich like sharp cheddar, but I can't really find any confirmation on this. I heard that Parmiggiano, Edam, Gruyère, and Emmenthal are also good options, but that aged gouda is the most similar. Please let me know your opinions and suggestions. :)

Also does anyone know approximately how many grams would be in one cup of shredded cheese?

Replies

• snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    You could use almost any cheese, or a combination of several. Personal preference on what you like. Gruyere is a very nice cheese that melts well. Maybe they will let you try the cheeses at the shop. A lot of places here do. One of my highlights when I go to Wisconsin is trying different cheeses. They have an abundance of cheese shops all over the state there. Have fun!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    You could use almost any cheese, or a combination of several. Personal preference on what you like. Gruyere is a very nice cheese that melts well. Maybe they will let you try the cheeses at the shop. A lot of places here do. One of my highlights when I go to Wisconsin is trying different cheeses. They have an abundance of cheese shops all over the state there. Have fun!
    Agreed. Mac and cheese doesn't have to be with cheddar, and usually people us a blend of cheeses. I'd say experiment, and I love smoked gouda (although if you don't like the smoked flavor obviously skip it), but I've never tried just aged gouda, so I can't say if it's similar.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I think you would need a scale for the grams/cup. it just all depends on high tightly you pack the shreddings in on top of each other. I got a little $15 kitchen scale at walmart about a year ago, and it's still going strong. :)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    tibby531 wrote: »
    I think you would need a scale for the grams/cup. it just all depends on high tightly you pack the shreddings in on top of each other. I got a little $15 kitchen scale at walmart about a year ago, and it's still going strong. :)

Ha, for a second I thought you responded to the wrong thread, and then I saw the second question. The mexican blend shreds I used the other night were a serving of 1/4 cup (28g). So my guess would be around 112g.
  • janellereasoner
    janellereasoner Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    mmm cheese.
  • jenniator
    Options
    Thank you guys :) I really love sharp cheddar macaroni and cheese. That's why I was trying to find something similar. I've actually never really tried the other cheese I listed, so I'm not sure if I like them or what they taste like.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    How about Colby? For sharp taste, I'd experiment with Parmesan and another cheese. Also, I add a little dry mustard to my cheese sauce, since I noticed that's what the big manufacturers do.

How about visiting the Reypenaer Cheese Tasting Room?
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I'd use gruyere if it's available/affordable. It's so expensive here, if you can get it for a reasonable price in NL, by all means, use it! It also makes an amazing grilled cheese sandwich BTW... :)

Also, to add a little sharpness to the macaroni and cheese, you can add a little mustard / mustard powder. I always add it when I make mac and cheese, no one knows it's in there, but it adds a nice sharpness.
  • Rianne90
    Rianne90 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    As a dutchie myself, I usually substitute either belegen or oude gouda for cheddar in recipes. I don't know what (sharp) cheddar tastes like, but the recipes always turn out pretty good. I also don't know about the melting qualities of cheddar, but be mindful that oude gouda might not melt as well. It should be quite delicious though :smile:
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    My mom uses gruyere in her mac & cheese, along with regular cheddar. So maybe gruyere mixed with something slightly milder.

I've only had aged gouda straight, not in a dish, but it seems like it would work.

And agreed on the mustard powder. Just a bit.
  • jenniator
    Options
    Thank you guys again for the help :) I made it with mature gouda cheese and it was absolutely delicious :D! Pretty close in flavor also.
  • bertypainter
    Options
    Bordens makes a lo cal sharp cheese that i really like