Metabolism

Options
http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/05/health/metabolism-myths/index.html?hpt=hp_bn13

Just some common knowledge most of us know. A lot of people believe in myth # 1 though.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    This is it in a nutshell. Thanks
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I did believe myth #1 a little bit until I lived with someone I though had a high metabolism. He just does not really eat much and he did have close to a decade of competitive sports. At that point he was still kind of not eating a lot.
  • hamoncan
    hamoncan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Generally #1 is a myth, although up until my pre-teens I was embarrassingly skelaton skinny no matter how much I ate, and I ate a lot to try and gain weight - double portions for me at dinner - it made it hard to adjust my intake when I finally did start gaining weight in my teens and beyond - not sure how that fits in
  • amf0324
    amf0324 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    The caffeine thing is so annoying. Everyone spits out that fact without explaining it. When your heart rate increases, you burn more calories.

Drink caffeine, heart rate goes up, burn more calories.

Sit in a hot bath, heart rate goes up, burn more calories.

Take ephedrine diet pills... you get the idea.

Anyways. Just because it'll "burn more calories" doesn't mean you should do it.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    Time Frame
    The increase in your heart rate from caffeine consumption can take effect in as soon as 15 minutes, and can take approximately six hours to wear off

Source:
    livestrong.com/article/125699-effect-caffeine-heart-rate/
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    With a resting heart rate of 60 bpm would that be about a 5% increase in energy consumed if running on carbs and even less if running on ketones because the heart is 25% more efficient using ketones as its energy source?

Interestingly, ketones are very efficient sources of energy. One paper1 reports that the efficiency of cardiac hydraulic work (in rat hearts) was 10.5% in hearts perfused with glucose alone, and increased to 28% in combination with insulin, to 24% with ketones, and to 36% on addition of the combination.

Source: life-enhancement.com/magazine/article/885-ketone-bodies-in-energy-neuroprotection
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I believed #1 for a long time, too. In fact, I AM a person with a faster metabolism than average (yearly thyroid panels indicate a borderline hyperactive thyroid, but thankfully, still acceptable and not needing surgery/irradiation). I was always skinny as a child, teen, and young adult. Ate like a horse always.

But guess what, high metabolism = HUNGRY. All. the. time. I am proof that you can out-eat your caloric needs even with an overactive thyroid. CICO still applies, I just still managed to overeat my way to a 25 pound gain over the last 2 years.

I was a "fat" overactive metabolism person. It's not that uncommon, either, to be overweight with a faster metabolism. Enormous appetite coupled with low/no activity = super easy to overeat.

Hyperactive thyroid and an individual's weight are not dependent on one another.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    amf0324 wrote: »
    The caffeine thing is so annoying. Everyone spits out that fact without explaining it. When your heart rate increases, you burn more calories.

SO your saying that saunas burn a lot of calories?

• williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

I get really nervous taking tests and in unfamiliar surroundings (heart races/anxiety). So I'm burning more calories having anxiety? Cool!

No. It doesn't work that way, certainly not in a significantly measurable way. I mean, watching a scary movie vs. sitting and reading a book "might" burn a handful calories more an hour, but no one's counting that, nor should they. Just like talking while walking burns more than walking in silence. Not mathematically/statistically relevant.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I don't think caffeine's effect on the metabolism is due to heart rate changes.
    http://authoritynutrition.com/coffee-increase-metabolism/

I think the original article cites some myths, too. I think most no longer believe that body composition as a "huge effect" on metabolism. 4 calories a day per pound of muscle (above a pound of fat). I don't know how many pounds of muscle a man can add but most women can't add many without testosterone supplementation.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

I think the original article cites some myths, too. I think most no longer believe that body composition as a "huge effect" on metabolism. 4 calories a day per pound of muscle (above a pound of fat). I don't know how many pounds of muscle a man can add but most women can't add many without testosterone supplementation.

I thought this was weird too: "Researchers have found that consuming water may have a positive impact on how many calories you burn throughout the day. This is due to a process called thermogenesis wherein the body must burn calories to warm the water up to body temperature."

By this logic, won't my body have to heat up my diet soda as well?
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I think the caffeine thing is more likely due to a person being more mentally alert and thereby tending to remain active longer. As for the body warning cold water, I thought researchers had dismissed that as negligible. Of course it also burns calories when your body cools down after drinking coffee.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »

I thought this was weird too: "Researchers have found that consuming water may have a positive impact on how many calories you burn throughout the day. This is due to a process called thermogenesis wherein the body must burn calories to warm the water up to body temperature."

By this logic, won't my body have to heat up my diet soda as well?
    Yes! 8 calories a glass!

I don't think sleeping more actually ups your calorie burn, either, like he claims, unless you're sleep deprived to begin with. For those of us who get enough already, sleeping more is going to make our calorie burn less.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    hamoncan wrote: »
    Generally #1 is a myth, although up until my pre-teens I was embarrassingly skeleton skinny no matter how much I ate, and I ate a lot to try and gain weight - double portions for me at dinner - it made it hard to adjust my intake when I finally did start gaining weight in my teens and beyond - not sure how that fits in

That answer seems relatively simple. You were going through a humongous growth spurt, and your body needed to fuel that growth. Also, most teens are incredibly active. As a teen, I was involved in some kind of sport year-round. And I ate a huge amount of food to support my tiny 5'1-3/4" frame as I ran several miles a day or danced for a couple of hours a day.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Lol, this is so wrong. I have supraventricular tachycardia and postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome. I can assure you I don't burn more calories just because I have a fast heart rate.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    When your heart rate increases, you burn more calories.

That's (almost entirely) incorrect.

Which invalidates everything you wrote afterwards.