minimum wage

wheird
wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
I've been hearing about protests and striking by fast food employees because they want a $15 minimum wage I don't understand why people should be paid that much for unskilled work

What do you guys think?

Replies

• sensitivefool
    sensitivefool Posts: 343 Member
    In defense to those in Fast Food that actually work hard and are great at their jobs, I can understand the want. It is difficult to work there and survive, let alone afford schooling at the same time that could actually better you.

But if that is what they are paid then EVERYONE gets a double in their pay. Otherwise it would make 0 sense. We are capitalists, after all.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited December 2014
    From a purely economics perspective, inflation rates would go up in a hurry if they were paid $15/hour. No bueno, so I'm against it.
  • wheird
    Many times their bathrooms are dirty or umderstocked. And I've had several instances of missing straws, napkins, or egg rolls
  • I think if they want to put their employers out of business, they should keep demanding that kind of pay.
  • wheird
    __drmerc__ wrote: »
    I think we should have a universal basic income system

We haven't even discovered alien life yet so we don't know if they already do this or something better
  • sensitivefool
    sensitivefool Posts: 343 Member
    wheird wrote: »
    __drmerc__ wrote: »
    I think we should have a universal basic income system

We haven't even discovered alien life yet so we don't know if they already do this or something better

LOL.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    i vote no until all my orders are 100% correct from the drive-thru window.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    $15 is a bit of a stretch, but I do believe the minimum wage should be raised and controlled by states and not the feds. Earning $10 an hour in the Montana goes way further than $10 in the SF Bay Area.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png[/quote]
  • jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    You are paid based on your skill set/experience and what value YOU bring to the equation/company. In this case all cashiers are equal, with an equal skill set which is quite common. There are literally billions of people that could do those jobs because they require little to no skill.

@hollydubs85...she is 100% correct. Raising minimum wage that high would cause one hell of an inflation spiral and eventually they would want $20/hr to cover standard of living costs, essentially creating an endless vortex of inflation.

It's a bad idea and sets a dangerous precedent in my opinion.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    I think it is ridiculous! I can understand why they feel they deserve it. My sister has worked for chick fil a for 10 years just about and she works extremely hard sometimes. She has no benefits and gets paid very little.

You know my opinion on that?....Get a better job, a degree, or work your way up. I think that those places are mostly for teenagers and people just starting out in the work place. You can barely make $12 an hour as a receptionist or secretary here in Orlando, so why the hell would they pay a fast food worker $15 and hour?!

Those people protesting better work their way up in the company or move to a better company. Smh I feel it is settling for less and people who do not want to succeed or better themselves in life. Just my opinion though.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited December 2014
    All I know is, I got paid $6/hour for the hardest farm work I've ever done in my life. Instead of demanding a raise (that I knew I wouldn't get), I got my *kitten* into college so I could earn more doing something else.

If you don't like your circumstances, change it.

ETA: Wtf, a.s.s is censored? What if I was talking about a donkey?!
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    All I know is, I got paid $6/hour for the hardest farm work I've ever done in my life. Instead of demanding a raise (that I knew I wouldn't get), I got my *kitten* into college so I could earn more doing something else.

If you don't like your circumstances, change it.
    Word!
  • maizerage66
    maizerage66 Posts: 367 Member
    Minimum wage is for minimum skill. Want higher wages? Higher your skills simple as that. Just like everyone is saying, a raise in minimum wage will raise inflation, in turn will create more requests for raises in minimum wage, which in turn will raise inflation, which in turn etc. etc...It's a terrible idea.
  • wheird
    CFA does have benefit optioms
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    wheird wrote: »
    CFA does have benefit optioms

even if i'm married to a dude?
  • Give them 15.00 an hour. How are they going to pay them? We will be paying 10.25 for a Quarter Pounder with cheese and 4.59 for fries..
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    That would suck for me. The way my company runs, they'd probably bump all of my staff up to that minimum wage of $15, but I wouldn't get bumped up. I'd have to quit. It took me ten years to get where I'm at now (note, five promotions) and I'm barely making 30 cents more than that. Maybe I'll just ask for a demotion!
This discussion has been closed.