"UVA Rape Case"

Options

Replies

• LoneWolf_70
    LoneWolf_70 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    But it is a reminder that while women, or men, who come forward with accusations of sexual violence deserve to be treated with support and respect, the sensitive nature of these cases is no reason to suspend rational judgment.

Read more: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2014/12/04/the_uva_rape_story_a_cautionary_tale_in_skepticism_124841.html#ixzz3L29e7819

I do want to say that I agree with this, too. I think if you press charges against someone and claim sexual assault, you should absolutely be questioned, because it's a very serious charge.

I think the difference for me is that you should be questioned by the police, not the public at large.

Just wanted to clear that up.

ok, but I think the public at large comes into play when you put your story out there the way it was done.
  • LoneWolf_70
    Options
    NextPage wrote: »
    I think the mere fact that the poster thought a debate about rape fit under "Chit-Chat, Fun, and Games" is very, very sad indeed.

I dont think i gave any impression that I am not taking this subject very seriously. Where else would I post it?
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    But it is a reminder that while women, or men, who come forward with accusations of sexual violence deserve to be treated with support and respect, the sensitive nature of these cases is no reason to suspend rational judgment.

Read more: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2014/12/04/the_uva_rape_story_a_cautionary_tale_in_skepticism_124841.html#ixzz3L29e7819

I do want to say that I agree with this, too. I think if you press charges against someone and claim sexual assault, you should absolutely be questioned, because it's a very serious charge.

I think the difference for me is that you should be questioned by the police, not the public at large.

Just wanted to clear that up.

ok, but I think the public at large comes into play when you put your story out there the way it was done.

I understand why you feel the way you do - I'd wager most people similar. This is one of those things were experiences change the way we view things.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    to Virgo: IDK what her story has to do with your own. Im speaking specifically about the facts of THIS story, which on the face, seem implausible. Now, im not saying it didnt happen, but for the sake of all (victims/accused rightly or wrongly) we OWE it to those people to ask the tough questions. How we feel about it based on personal experiences shouldnt really be in the equation.

I brought up my story because you said this:
    if this case is a hoax or she's delusional it only harms the ppl who are really raped.

So my response was entirely relevant.

My argument is that it does *not* harm people "who are really raped".

We are not owed the facts of her story - she does not need to be tried by the public court. She chose not to press charges, and that's it. It doesn't matter if she's lying, or not. If the accused want to clear their names, then they can so do the same way she chose to share her story.

It doesn't matter if she's lying or not?

If she's not pressing charges, no it really doesn't matter. Why would it?
  • LoneWolf_70
    Options
    ^ it matters because the entire male pop of the fraternity has been tainted with a brush that is libelous. The UVa admin has now take action that has effected all all of the frats/sororities. Now before you make an assumption, I have never been a member of any fraternity. Lonewolf and all lol.

• TheVirgoddess
    Options
    ^ it matters because the entire male pop of the fraternity has been tainted with a brush that is libelous. The UVa admin has now take action that has effected all all of the frats/sororities. Now before you make an assumption, I have never been a member of any fraternity. Lonewolf and all lol.

Point taken. I didn't really think about how this would impact the University - that they would have to have an internal investigation and there would potentially be consequences for the boys and perhaps the Dean. I was generally just thinking about this in terms of a woman's story - my mistake for not seeing the bigger picture.
  • Lalalindaloo
    Lalalindaloo Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I am following it. I work at another state university in VA, soooo.... relevant to me. My brother-in-law went to UVA undergrad and has always held UVA up as an excellent option for any of my three nieces. He and my sis have both said that after that article, they are hesitant to continue pushing UVA. That's a big, BIG change for them. Especially with the excellent academic rankings of UVA.

What I keep trying to point out to them is that while this article is aimed at UVA and a particular case, the rape culture in higher ed is what they really need to be paying attention to. The larger problem is not this case, it's the idea that any higher ed institutions are either covering up/not reporting/stifling victim accounts or accusations to keep their sexual assault stats low on the record or protect assailants.

It's that (whether it happened in this case this way or not) there IS a culture out there where a response of "If you take this to the police it will end their academic career," or "you'll just be that girl that was raped,"etc.

If a sexual assault occurs it should be reported, it should be taken seriously, and it should be investigated (by valid, qualified non-biased investigators). Action should be taken or not based on the results of those investigations.
  • LoneWolf_70
    Options
    well Breaking News....the facts just fell apart.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/u-va-fraternity-to-rebut-claims-of-gang-rape-in-rolling-stone/2014/12/05/5fa5f7d2-7c91-11e4-84d4-7c896b90abdc_story.html

money quote:
    Will Dana, Rolling Stone’s managing editor, also released a statement with new doubt. “In the face of new information, there now appear to be discrepancies in Jackie’s account, and we have come to the conclusion that our trust in her was misplaced,” he said in a statement.
  • LoneWolf_70
    Options
    To Lala: You cant the narrative overtake the facts of a case. Saying there is a bad culture doesnt overtake the fact that this story is now likely a complete fake (see Rolling Stone's newest statement.)
  • Lalalindaloo
    Options
    Whoa.
  • Lalalindaloo
    Options
    To Lala: You cant the narrative overtake the facts of a case. Saying there is a bad culture doesnt overtake the fact that this story is now likely a complete fake (see Rolling Stone's newest statement.)

I would agree with that. Just saying that in my conversations with my family, I'm trying to stress that they can't discount this university or that university and because of stories that come to light, because in this case, may not be true, in others, there may be unreported true cases.

However this ends up, it highlights to me that we all need to educate our children on safety, health, respect for others and self-respect.

Side note: I love Honey Badger. He just don't care.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/u-va-fraternity-to-rebut-claims-of-gang-rape-in-rolling-stone/2014/12/05/5fa5f7d2-7c91-11e4-84d4-7c896b90abdc_story.html

money quote:
    Will Dana, Rolling Stone’s managing editor, also released a statement with new doubt. “In the face of new information, there now appear to be discrepancies in Jackie’s account, and we have come to the conclusion that our trust in her was misplaced,” he said in a statement.

Thanks for sharing the update. It makes me really sad for everyone involved.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I think she needs a psych evaluation. Why would she create such a story?
  • LoneWolf_70
    Options

money quote:

Thanks for sharing the update. It makes me really sad for everyone involved.

Agree. I hope for the following....

- The frat sues ROlling Stone out of existence
    - Women are are raped dont hesitate to report true rape.
    - UVA DOESNT change policies and investigates rapes. Its a job for the police.

• LoneWolf_70
    Options
    oh, also I hope the "journalist" of the story is laughed out of her profession.
  • LoneWolf_70
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

who knows why crazy ppl do crazy things. its like when a nutjob goes off killing ppl with a gun. Theyre crazy, therefore un-explainable.

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

who knows why crazy ppl do crazy things. its like when a nutjob goes off killing ppl with a gun. Theyre crazy, therefore un-explainable.

I think she had a motive. People have motives.

• LoneWolf_70
    Options

I think she had a motive. People have motives.
    oh im sure she does. Crazy ppl have motives...theyre just usually completely....crazy motives. We'll never know for sure.