Cauliflower price?

2»

Replies

• NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    The last time I bought fresh cauliflower it was at a vegetable stand and it was $3.00 for a medium size head. It's about $4.00 a head in the grocery store.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    I think cauliflower for me is close to $2.49 - $2.99. I think. I love it actually. I sometimes by the steamer bags like Publix which are usually 2 for $5. Sometimes on sale for 3 for $5. Maybe I should try Aldi or a farmers market idk.
  • chouflour
    chouflour Posts: 193 Member
    I bought 2lb bags of fresh cauliflower florets at Costco last night for $3.50 each. Whole heads were ~ $2 per at TJ.
  • habit365
    habit365 Posts: 174
    I cannot believe how cheap some of you all get cauliflower!! Runs about $4-7 here.
  • kasiaj
    kasiaj Posts: 63 Member
    It was either $1.29 or $1.39 yesterday at Aldi's (can't remember which one was for cauliflower and which was for broccoli).
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    $4.50 a pound right now, not in season.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Went to the closest large mainstream supermarket near me this morning (Jewel) and checked the cauliflower. $1.99 for regular, $3.99 for organic.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    The supermarkets here tend to charge around £1 for a small head, the green grocers are around £1 for a massive one.
  • jorge_007
    jorge_007 Posts: 70 Member
    Last time I bought some it was 2 heads for .99 cents. They're cheap here in a local store here in California. Bananas are 4 lbs for 99 cents too. Broccoli 2 lbs for 99 cents.
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    $5.99 for a head or 2.99 for a container of florettes.
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    I evidently need to move to California. Bananas are between 40 cents to 40 cents a pound, in boston. Cauliflower at $4 a small head. During the summer I found it at $2.50 at the farmers market... love farmers markets.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Where do people live with the super-high cauliflower prices, or are you just buying organic only? I'm in Chicago, which is generally not cheap at all, and it's $1.99 for a medium-sized head, non-organic, obviously nowhere near in-season.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Where do people live with the super-high cauliflower prices, or are you just buying organic only? I'm in Chicago, which is generally not cheap at all, and it's $1.99 for a medium-sized head, non-organic, obviously nowhere near in-season.

The red baboon's hind end of WA state. Potatoes are cheap, and lentils. That's aboot it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I'm in NJ. It depends on the store though, I just picked a huge one for $2.99.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Totally bumping this because I saw cauliflower in a store yesterday at $5.99.

WTH.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    I paid 39p in the UK for one on Christmas eve.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    It seems like cauliflower is rarely less than $3.99/lb.here. I only get it a couple of times a year because I like it (raw) but not enough to finish the whole head. I'm the only one in my family who eats it.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Trader Joe's has cauliflower for $2.49, Aldi will put theirs on sale for $1.99 (they don't always carry it, though.) I only buy cauliflower (and asparagus) on sale, because it's just too costly otherwise.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    $5 each here at the moment. Then tomorrow they may be $1.99... I don't know how the justify the price range??
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,079 Member
    Just commenting because I see a number of people commenting on waste because of so few florets on a head of cauliflower. The whole head is edible, and to me the stalk parts taste pretty similar to the floret parts. Just slice off the bit next to where the stalk was cut from the plant, because it's probably dried out there, chop the whole head into convenient sizes, and cook as you like (e.g., steam, roast, braise, stir fry). Sometimes when life keeps me from cooking all my produce as quickly as I should, I may end up discarding a lot of the florets (or at least the tops of the florets) because they discolor and even get mushy, and I just eat the stems and the remaining florets.

Depending on how you're going to cook it, you may want to remove the leaves -- but those can be eaten too, just like you would kale or other greens, although I find them more tender than kale -- I do often discard them because there's too few on one head of cauliflower to feel like they're worth doing something with, but if I'm steaming the cauliflower the leaves can just go in.

If you haven't tried the stalks because you've just assumed they weren't edible, give them a try. If you're dead set against the stalks, I agree you're paying a terrible price if you buy it by the head just for the florets.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    cecesquats wrote: »
    The amount of florets you get from one cauliflower isn't worth it to me and I switched to frozen.

I've done the same until prices come down a little.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Totally bumping this because I saw cauliflower in a store yesterday at $5.99.

WTH.

I'm in New Jersey also and it's not only crazy expensive, most stores in my area (Monmouth County) haven't it.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited December 2015
    About $0.5 per kilo (approx. 2 pounds), but that's with the leaves and stalk. When not in season it goes up to $1 per kilo. A small avocado on the other hand is in the neighborhood of $5.