Aching Muscles - should I still exercise them?

Options
2»

Replies

• SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options
    You should exercise, but do something different. Like some cardio. Your body needs a break from the same repetition.

hiya...yes tonight I did stomach crunches (410), leg raises (lots), glutes (60) lol!!! Gave the old shoulders, back, chest and arms a break...
  • Agglaki
    Agglaki Posts: 105
    Options
    For a minute while reading the first few posts I was afraid no one had said anything about training different muscles on different days :)

Thankfully that problem was addressed.

But since I stopped and read through the thread:

You can still exercise if your muscles feel sore, but try to work different muscles on different days.
    Cardio is very good for getting the blood pumping which will help with repairing your muscles, so don't skimp on that even if that is the only exercise you will do on a particular day.

Make sure you get enough protein after your workout and also don't skimp on good complex carbs, in fact if you want the sugary stuff (e.g. gatorade) try to drink it after a workout when the sugars will be used by the body as opposed to being stored.
  • pchann
    pchann Posts: 84
    Options
    My opinion is it depends on why the muscls are sore. The type of weight lifting you did. Was it a heavy day or a high rep day. I find that when I go heavy on compound lifts I need extra time for my muscles to recover. I also concentrate on exceeding "my" protein consumtion for a 48 hour period after. But if I'm doing endurance "high reps, sometimes with no iron just body weight and iso holds" my recovery is signifacantly faster. As a general rule sufficient sleep, good nutrition and proper stretching will accelerate your recovery and allow for maximum intensity during workouts. I want to emphasize the stretching. Stretch before and after every single workout. Your local community center should have some Yoga classes. Sign up with a friend and do some yoga once a week. I promise you'll see improvements in all aspects of your life from yoga.
    p.s. yoga counts as a workout. Wear your heart monitor for yoga ;) All the best.

I keep hearing a lot of people say yoga is fantastic for your body and is a great thing to do after intense workouts. I had back surgery in 1992 and can't arch my back AT ALL. Would I still be able to do it? I don't want to buy a yoga DVD only to find out 90% of it involves arching your back - which is physically impossible for me to do (I have steel rods/pins in my spine and no individual vertebrae anymore - they are fused).

Hi, in your case I would seek the advice of a doctor/physical therapist for a stretching routine. Yoga is a concept of mind, body and spirit. With that said you can design your own 'yoga' routine. What I'm saying is think of combining stretching and meditation to create a yoga routine that will work with and around your individual needs. The doctor or physical therapist I'm sure has literature that will get you started stretching. For the meditation just start simple and slow. Buy a meditation book. After a few times doing your structured stretching moves they will become almost auto pilot which will allow you to start 'clearing' your mind. Your now a yogi. :) All the best.
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    My opinion is it depends on why the muscls are sore. The type of weight lifting you did. Was it a heavy day or a high rep day. I find that when I go heavy on compound lifts I need extra time for my muscles to recover. I also concentrate on exceeding "my" protein consumtion for a 48 hour period after. But if I'm doing endurance "high reps, sometimes with no iron just body weight and iso holds" my recovery is signifacantly faster. As a general rule sufficient sleep, good nutrition and proper stretching will accelerate your recovery and allow for maximum intensity during workouts. I want to emphasize the stretching. Stretch before and after every single workout. Your local community center should have some Yoga classes. Sign up with a friend and do some yoga once a week. I promise you'll see improvements in all aspects of your life from yoga.
    p.s. yoga counts as a workout. Wear your heart monitor for yoga ;) All the best.

I keep hearing a lot of people say yoga is fantastic for your body and is a great thing to do after intense workouts. I had back surgery in 1992 and can't arch my back AT ALL. Would I still be able to do it? I don't want to buy a yoga DVD only to find out 90% of it involves arching your back - which is physically impossible for me to do (I have steel rods/pins in my spine and no individual vertebrae anymore - they are fused).

Hmm... I'd check with a doctor. Vinyasa yoga def. has a lot of backbends. Hatha is gentler, and svaroopa is the gentlest of all (really just a lot of laying around on blankets... but you'd be surprised how sore & stretchy you'll feel the next day).
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options

Make sure you get enough protein after your workout

Id be interested what you'd recommend for this?

Thanks
    Sarah
  • pchann
    pchann Posts: 84
    Options

Make sure you get enough protein after your workout

Id be interested what you'd recommend for this?

Thanks
    Sarah

Hi Sarah, there's a ton of ways to get extra protein so instead of blah blah blah I'll just tell you what I use. :)"

skinless chicken breast, grilled
    Crystal Farms 100% egg whites, haha yes I drink it raw, sometimes I cook it.
    GNC Amplified Wheybolic 60
    GNC Pro Performance Casein protein
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options
    @pchann

Im veggie but not vegan:smile: