Suggestions for 5k's?

Options
I am looking into signing up for a 5k with the hopes of having a goal will keep me motivated, plus I really want to be able to say that I've done one. Sooooooo I am looking for suggestions of which one I should do, also where I can find a list of them or something. I would prefer to do one that is for a good cause. Any suggestions??

Also, any advice? I am scared that I might get there and be the last person which is just embarrassing. I am going to start the Couch to 5k training this week, but I am always up for more advice/information/etc.

Thanks guys!

Replies

• BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Do a google search for local runner's clubs and they should have a list on their website.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Where are you located? Google around for race listings or god forbid check active.com (worst company ever).

Before I started running, I assumed everyone who raced looked like a Kenyan, nothing could be further from the truth. Lots of runners in all shapes and sizes. Most races have walkers as well.
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    so I dunno what state you live in but for Texas there is a texas runners site that lists all the races scheduled in the state. There is several every weekend, I'm sure you'll be able to find a ton you can register for. No need to be worried about being the last one at all, there are usually a group of people speed walking at the back but the important thing is you finish for you! Don't ever let embarrassment or self doubt keep you from reaching your goals! You're awesome and you can do it!
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Try www.active.com.. they have a search feature that lets you look for all the races in your area. Also, take a look at runnersworld.com. Both have search features and a wealth of info on running in general as well as pointers for newbies.

I just did my first one on Saturday and it was awesome! I was nervous too but there's no need to be and you will have a blast!
  • lbarnett300
    lbarnett300 Posts: 53
    Options
    Active.com you can put in your area and find all races near you.
  • nmcneill16
    nmcneill16 Posts: 12
    Options
    check out active.com:) just to warn you, it's addictive! you start with a 5k... then a 10k... and so on. but it's definitley a great way to stay motivated!

just realized someone else posted this:)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    You can check on Facebook, too, and/or ask friends you if they, or anyone they know, races. Red Cross, American Heart Association and groups for pretty much any major illness all have fundraiser events, as well as some animal rescues/shelters. If you have any local entertainment newspapers, they might have listings, too.
  • Melyou
    Melyou Posts: 5
    Options
    runnersworld.com, runningintheusa.com also lists races just to name a few. google search is your friend because there is generally area websites that list local races
  • southernstrix
    Options
    I live in Maryland, but I wouldn't be opposed to traveling a little. Thanks for all the suggestions!!!! I guess I'll just work on those sites and really narrow one down.