Do I have a tapeworm or something?

Options
marissla
marissla Posts: 21
edited December 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
So, less than a week ago I posted a topic about maintaining my weight, and I took the advice. I checked my weight this morning (before eating, etc.) and I lost 3 pounds, by eating 1700-1800 calories a day, (I counted mentally and I listened to my body "intuitively eating"). I know the obvious answer is to eat more, but I literally just sat on the computer chair all day and browse the internet, besides going to the kitchen, going to go pee, etc. Also, I've been getting comments about how skinny I've gotten...IN THE PAST 3 (couple) DAYS. And, no I don't undereat or anything, I have 4-6 meals a day all consisting of 300 or more calories, and if I only have 4 meals a day I usually have a bowl of icecream or something. My meals are pretty much the same: 1/2 cup of oatmeal, 1/2 cup of yogurt, 1 tbsp of peanutbutter, and lots of fruit. Or it could be salad with 2 tbsps of dressing and lots of vegetables, fruits, and nuts. Any suggestions?? I don't want to lose anymore fat, but I don't want to gain fat either, and I know once again, the obvious answer is to eat more. But I'm eating an adequate amount for my sedentary life.
I weigh 114 5'4 and I'm 20 as of today this morning. Most days are the 1800 calories though. I literally just sit all day, honestly. Any thoughts? Thank you!
Oh and I try not to count my calories, this is just an estimate, since I do not want to count calories since I obsess over them. But, as I said I do have a clear understanding about servings and stuff, so it's a pretty accurate guesstimate (5% off maybe).

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Daily fluctuations on the scale are typical.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    You are obviously NOT eating anything near adequate!
    I don't really understand quite why you're posting at all since you already know the answer.
  • marissla
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Daily fluctuations on the scale are typical.

I understand that, but people have been commenting how skinny I've got in the past couple days, it just makes no sense. I have no access to a doctor at this moment or this weekend either.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Mentally counting you don't know what you are eating. Losing 3 lbs in a week you are undereating. 4 meals @ 300 calories = 1200 + ice cream serving roughly 270 = 1470 so not close to the 1800 you say you are eating.
  • marissla
    Options
    I don't really understand quite why you're posting at all since you already know the answer.
    I really am. I'm eating 1700-1800 calories and I'm extremely sedentary, if I were to eat more I'd gain. My question is why did I lose so much weight in a short time in maintenance mode. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
  • marissla
    Options
    Mentally counting you don't know what you are eating. Losing 3 lbs in a week you are undereating. 4 meals @ 300 calories = 1200 + ice cream serving roughly 270 = 1470 so not close to the 1800 you say you are eating.
    Thanks for your input. But, I said I rarely eat the 4 meals, and it's around 300-400 but more on the 400 side. Let's see, 1/2 cup oatmeal is 150 calories, 1/2 yogurt is 80 calories, fruits = 120 calories, and nuts (small serving) would be 50-100 calories. That's 350-400 calories.

But once again, my main concern is why I have lost so much weight in such a short time, and why people are noticing it, I mean I wear the same style of clothing everyday, I'm scared.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    So the answer would be then to actually log what you eat for like one month to six weeks and then reassess. If you're not gaining, then the likely answer is that you're not eating the amount that you think you are.
  • Dollie712
    Options
    As long as the rapid weight loss doesn't continue, you should be okay. If you lose more than 10-15 lbs over the next week or two while keeping your calorie count up, you really should find a way to see a doctor. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • cathiggs
    cathiggs Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    if you are that scare why are you posting on a forum on the inernet and not going to you GP?
    And secondly it sounds like your not eating enough you say your counting cals mentally why dont you try weighing everything you eat and writing it down on this website it could be a case ur under estimating what your eating?
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    marissla wrote: »
    I really am. I'm eating 1700-1800 calories and I'm extremely sedentary, if I were to eat more I'd gain. My question is why did I lose so much weight in a short time in maintenance mode. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
    I say UP your calories!
    If you are losing at 1700-1800 calories, then that's a deficit for you, NOT your maintenance calories. Add 100 calories a week till you are maintaining-that will be your maintenance calories.
  • marissla
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Thanks everyone for responding. I use cups and serving sizes to weigh my food. A week prior to this I was sort of eating a lot! (PMS) I probably ate 3000 calories a day, so maybe my metabolize is burning like crazy and I just lost the weight somehow. Another theory I have is I might have grown (?) so my fat might have stretched out because even though I'm 20, there's some cases where girls grow at this age, and I felt a little taller yesterday. I'll email my doctor and make an appointment, but besides that I guess I have to calm down and not freak out...
    I know this is sort of stupid, but I googled "how do you know if you have a tapeworm" and I had 8/10 of the signs...

You have an explained constipation, diarrhea, gas, or other symptoms of IBS Check
    You have a history of food poisoning and your digestion has not been the same since. Check
    You have trouble falling asleep, or you wake up multiple times during the night. Check
    You get skin irritations or unexplained rashes, hives, rosacea or eczema. Check
    You grind your teeth in your sleep. No
    You have pain or aching in your muscles or joints. Check
    You experience fatigue, exhaustion, depression, or frequent feelings of apathy. Check
    You never feel satisfied or full after your meals. Check (?)
    You've been diagnosed with iron-deficiency anemia. Check

Maybe it isn't such a good idea to do such things like this, I don't have really healthy habits of cleaning my food...to be honest I barely ever wash my food... Oh gosh...
    But, yeah, I'll email my doctor and mention some of what you guys said + get tested for a tapeworm (if you can do that?).
  • marissla
    edited December 2014
    Options
    double post, sorry.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    People in the past haven't noticed my weight loss in the clothes i always wore. When i got a few new outfits people thought i had lost too much weight too. When really, it was just the sudden sight of me in a new former fitting outfit. Maybe people are just noticing the changes on you and to them it is sudden when in reality it is gradual. I know i don't see the changes on myself, i have to look at before and now pictures to see it.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Thanks everyone for responding. I use cups and serving sizes to weigh my food. A week prior to this I was sort of eating a lot! (PMS) I probably ate 3000 calories a day, so maybe my metabolize is burning like crazy and I just lost the weight somehow. Another theory I have is I might have grown (?) so my fat might have stretched out because even though I'm 20, there's some cases where girls grow at this age, and I felt a little taller yesterday. I'll email my doctor and make an appointment, but besides that I guess I have to calm down and not freak out...
    I know this is sort of stupid, but I googled "how do you know if you have a tapeworm" and I had 8/10 of the signs...

You have an explained constipation, diarrhea, gas, or other symptoms of IBS Check
    You have a history of food poisoning and your digestion has not been the same since. Check
    You have trouble falling asleep, or you wake up multiple times during the night. Check
    You experience fatigue, exhaustion, depression, or frequent feelings of apathy. Check

Maybe it isn't such a good idea to do such things like this, I don't have really healthy habits of cleaning my food...to be honest I barely ever wash my food... Oh gosh...
    But, yeah, I'll email my doctor and mention some of what you guys said + get tested for a tapeworm (if you can do that?).

I know you said you get obsessive when you weigh/measure your food, but you'd honestly rather go through testing to see if you have tapeworm than log your food for a month to see what your average intake is? I have 5/10 of those listed symptoms. I don't have a tapeworm.

Edit for apostrophe.

• StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Maybe you pooped?? ;)
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input. But, I said I rarely eat the 4 meals, and it's around 300-400 but more on the 400 side. Let's see, 1/2 cup oatmeal is 150 calories, 1/2 yogurt is 80 calories, fruits = 120 calories, and nuts (small serving) would be 50-100 calories. That's 350-400 calories.

But once again, my main concern is why I have lost so much weight in such a short time, and why people are noticing it, I mean I wear the same style of clothing everyday, I'm scared.

so 4x4 = 16, or 1600 calories. Not 1800.

Eating less than you thinka s already said. WEigh and log your food.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    It looks like I have a tapeworm too, but s/he's not eating nearly enough.

You mentioned that it was your TOM last week. It sounds like you're no longer holding that water weight.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

You've lost so much weight because you are eating way less than you think you are.

But I can swing 3-5 pounds a day depending on water and whether I have pooped
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

I can confirm I am the tapeworm, I am inside your intestines. Please feed me ice cream and pizza.

Thank you,

Tapey the worm

DUDE, there's a book about tapeworms that basically ARE cognizant. They like take over the person's body and brain and some of them wind up living normal lives. Others are basically zombies.

So you're totally creepin' me out here, man.

13641105.jpg