How often do you weigh yourself?

Options
Just wondering what everyone else is like. I'm super inconsistent, like sometimes I wont weigh myself for a week and other times I weight myself 10+ times per day

Replies

• blueakama
    blueakama Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Once a week at the same time is best. Your weight fluctuates by a bit or so during the day depending on how much water you have drunk etc. But you've probably worked that out.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It should be no more than once a day at the same time (generally first thing in the morning after you use the bathroom). As long as you're consistent in that part, it doesn't matter whether it's every day, every week, or every month.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Usually, once a week, but I didn't weigh last week, due to Thanksgiving. So, this week when I weighed, I had dropped four pounds.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Ideally I'm a daily weigher... I like to see the fluctuations and they don't bother me...but I don't currently have a scale right now and they're really expensive where I live so I just go to the pharmacy on the first of each month to weigh in. It only costs half a dinar ( about 28 cents) and buying a reliable scale here would be over $100.00American... so I'll stick with monthly weighing for my remaining time here.
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Every day, when I first get up, after going to the bathroom. I'll occasionally weigh myself at other times too, but more out of curiosity about weight fluctuations, I don't track those weights.

My weight fluctuates a lot. I'll go several days with small (0.2-0.4 lbs) gains, and then suddenly drop a whole pound or more overnight. This is the reason many people don't like to weigh every day. But it's the very reason why I do weigh every day. I like to watch for that new low. I could weigh 213 one day, and be 213.2 a week later. If I didn't weigh every day, I would miss seeing it drop to 212.4 somewhere in the middle, or seeing it drop to 212 the very next day after the second weigh in.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Once a month.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    every morning but I only log my weight on sundays.
  • MelKnight77
    MelKnight77 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Like others, everyday. My coach and I then average it out over the week. I don't mind seeing the flucations, it makes me more aware of the changes, and how and why I have them for. I've now learnt not to stress if I'm heavier than what I was the same time the week earlier, as that changes from day to day.

Mel
  • agape1980
    Options
    I also weigh daily but only record Monday mornings.
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Options
    Every hour of every day. I must know about my weight fluctuations and chart patterns with graphs and stuff.

...No. A daily fluctuation is pretty meaningless. I weigh when i think i might've lost a pound. So about every 4 days. Otherwise what do you hope to see? .2 lbs lost? I don't think i can get excited about that when i could just chalk it up to "maybe i'm dehydrated"
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    When I was actively losing weight, I weighed myself every 4-6 weeks. It allowed me to settle into the routine of how I was eating and exercising, which felt like an actual lifestyle change, not a short-term condition that I needed to monitor. That strategy worked really well for me and allowed me to focus on what I was doing to lose weight rather than get hung up and possibly discouraged by the numbers on the scale.

Now that I'm more interested in maintaining, I'm weighing once a week so I'm more aware of any changes and can keep an eye on them over time to get an idea of whether or not what I'm doing is working.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Daily, but I think I am going to try only once a week. As long as I stay within my calorie range, it will happen.
  • warriorguy
    Options
    Daily......keeps me motivated not to go in the wrong direction.....increments count.
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Every day after I wake up and have used the bathroom and I make sure to be naked. Then I log it into my Libra app on my phone so I have a chart to see my ups and downs.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Never weigh myself. For me the scales ar a minor trauma. The numbers on the scale only tell me that, a numer and not how I feel and look. I know I am currently building muscle and see my shape change for the better.
    I also know that the number on the scale because of that (as I take the slow route) probably won't change much at present, so why torture myself? I go by clothes fit appearance, and how I feel.
  • joyfuljoy65
    joyfuljoy65 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Every day after waking up etc; I am a data nerd so have a spreadsheet (oh yeah!) where I work out my average for the week and post on a Sunday. I have only been doing this while maintaining though, as I just need to be sure the fluctuations are evening out and my maintenance calories are OK. So far a 0.11lb increase over 3 months so not bad ;) However after the festive period may be different!!

As long as you are not going to stress over the 1 or 2 lbs up and down, daily is good as you see lows that you may miss if you weigh less frequently. But if you are going to get worried over small fluctuations, weekly or fortnightly at the same time of day in the same clothes (or none!) is probably your best bet.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Daily In the morning after i wake up and gone to the bathroom.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, and use TrendWeight.com to calculate an exponentially smoothed moving average. The average shows the trend much more clearly than individual weights.

I sometimes weigh before and after long cardio workouts, to assess my hydration.
  • Delphine2013
    Delphine2013 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    first thing in the morning