Supplements for women who lift??

Options
Hello all.. question for all the lifters out there.. Which supplement is best for females to help form the shape of the muscle either pre or post workout?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Supplements don't help to 'form' the muscle, they're just a more convenient way of getting in macro's.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Only needed supplements are protein powder if you have a hard time meeting your needs (or just to add to baking, which I do all the time now), and possibly something like caffeine or dextrose for pre-workout to help with energy if needed. I kind of want to buy some caffeine tablets for this reason, actually. PWO powders are rip-offs.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    PWO powders are rip-offs.

No they are not. They have a use as well as any other supplement. Don't knock what you don't know.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Supplements won't help form your muscles. Lifting with a surplus will do that.

Supplements are a more personal thing IMO e.g. I take omega3, multi-vit, calcium, iron, magnesium and evening primrose but I wouldn't dream of recommending them to anyone (maybe the omega3 if you don't get a lot of fish).

I also use whey and casein but I don't count them as supplements, they are foods I enjoy and use to hit my protein macro.

I'd just get your nutrition on point and supplement anything you feel you're missing in your diet.
  • ana3067
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

No they are not. They have a use as well as any other supplement. Don't knock what you don't know.

THey are a rip-off, yes, because they are over-priced for something you can make yourself if you feel it is needed. I've looked into this before because it was something I wanted to try, and it's significantly cheaper to buy like 3-5 ingredients and make your own.
  • randomtai
    Options

THey are a rip-off, yes, because they are over-priced for something you can make yourself if you feel it is needed. I've looked into this before because it was something I wanted to try, and it's significantly cheaper to buy like 3-5 ingredients and make your own.

Something that is "pricey" ( being a relative term) does not make it a rip off. If you can make your own, more power to you, but don't knock something you don't know.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Lift more.

eat well.

all gains.

it's mostly a waste unless you're working at the higher end of your capacities. Most people aren't- so just lift more. eat well. get the gains.
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Not sure I would agree that vitamins are considered a supplement for workouts. I do take those including evening primrose and Glucosamine Chondroitin but those are MD requested for health.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

I'll knock it. Based on what's in them, which can easily be bought OTC for less money, they aren't "cost effective". Some high dose caffeine and L-arginine aren't that expensive on their own and would give one many more servings.

Vitamin 200mg caffeine $4.89 for 100 servings
    NOW L-arginine 1000 $13.99 for 120 servings

So that's less than $20 for 100 servings

DYNO (the highest rated preworkout at BB.com) is $29.99 for 30 servings.

So .20 a serving vs $1 a serving................maybe not a "rip off", but cost effectiveness is in doubt.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    ucabucca wrote: »
    Not sure I would agree that vitamins are considered a supplement for workouts. I do take those including evening primrose and Glucosamine Chondroitin but those are MD requested for health.
    Assuming you take glucosamine/chondroitin for joint health. Unfortunately clinical studies haven't confirmed that this combination is any better than a placebo. Just thought you should know if you're spending a lot of money on it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ana3067
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

I'll knock it. Based on what's in them, which can easily be bought OTC for less money, they aren't "cost effective". Some high dose caffeine and L-arginine aren't that expensive on their own and would give one many more servings.

So .20 a serving vs $1 a serving................maybe not a "rip off", but cost effectiveness is in doubt.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Pretty much all this. Which I consider a rip-off, but semantic I guess.
  • ironangel250
    ironangel250 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Multivitamin
    Fish oil
    Caffeine
    Protein powder

• randomtai
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

K. I can't read past all that red text. :)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Something that is "pricey" ( being a relative term) does not make it a rip off. If you can make your own, more power to you, but don't knock something you don't know.

^I agree with this. It'd be a rip off if it was basically a placebo. Technically you can make your own foam rollers and power racks, but just because you buy them "pre-made" doesn't make it a rip off.

As for PWOs, I have to get ones that are caffeine free (I use Peak Perform's Strawberry Lemonade Non-Stimulate PWO) and I'm okay paying for the convenience of buying it with ingredients already mixed together.
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Ninebuff I have heard that including from MD who said try but controversial but no side effects so I tried and it does help with high speed impacts in skiing and only way I buy is when CVS has it buy one get one free. But am glad to see someone being honest about it Thanks
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I give the dog glucosamine for his hips - seems to help :)
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Coffee before. Protein shake after, or whenever I need to fill in my protein for the day. And I just buy the "cheap" stuff from Walmart (it's a whey/casein/soy protein blend).

I'm not "elite" nor trying to be, just into strength training for maintaining muscle mass/health reasons, so take my advice for what it's worth (probably less than tree-fiddy, lol).
  • gemmamummy
    gemmamummy Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I take protein powder, but only because I can get it cheap.