Water intake and body adjustment

Options
I had asked something similar to this a while ago, but after having a discussion with my doctor on Friday I am slightly curious: at what point did your body adjust to the increased water intake so that you didn't need to stay within 5ft of a bathroom?

I had blood and urine tests done last Monday (6month check in from initial bad blood work) and went in Friday to discuss results. Dr was pleased that I've been losing weight (30 lbs since I last saw her mid October for a different issue. She said I made awesome improvement in my cholesterol levels in such a short time. I had also been significantly low on vit D (work nights so not much sun) and between my multivitamin and additional vit D supplement it came up to an acceptable level.

I was very happy with that, but with the good news also came some bad :(. She had told me last time I was significantly chronically dehydrated based on urine specimen. I have tried to increase my fluid intake (since she said the vit water zero and unsweetened iced tea I drink count). I increased it pretty significantly, but I work in conditions where a bathroom is not always available. She said while I showed improvement I still need to drink more. I'm on a few different antihistamines (because my IgE levels- WBC that are active during an allergic rxn, are still elevated). My allergist does not feel like stopping them right now is an option. My pcp said that is likely why even though at 100oz of fluid a day I'm still showing signs of dehydration.

Back to my original question. About how long from increasing your fluid did you notice your body adjusting and not have to pee every hour? I work in an ambulance, so unless we are bring a pt to the ER, on the overnight there isn't many options for a bathroom (I have to say I am jealous of my make partners who don't need to worry about that lol). Right now I drink about 20-40 oz when I wake up in the afternoon. I stop drinking fluid 2 hours before shift starts. While at work (12 hours) I drink about 32oz - 48 oz depending on how busy and how much exercise we've done, and when I get home I drink until I get to 100oz for the day. My doctor want me to aim for 120oz before she retests.

Sorry for so much detail, but felt it was important to had context to the question.

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    That is good progress. On the water question when we drink a gallon a day there just are going to be a lot of bathroom breaks. I drink 12-20 oz right before I get in bed and can sleep for 6-8 hours without getting up. Perhaps we just get use to going to the bathroom more often but during the day 4 hours would be about max. Now in the summer working outside it can be much longer between breaks. :)

There is a lot of take about Detox but I think drinking the gallon a day and stopping junky carbs is the best Detox plan for myself.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I take medication for an overactive bladder and my tendency is not to drink enough water as a result and I still have to get up in the middle of the night to pee. I just read an article about a woman in UK who documented her face over a month of drinking a gallon of water a day and it was amazing. So I've started a routine of doing that today.

I'm going to photograph myself later and keep track.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    gomer_shazam.jpg
  • blossomingbutterfly
    Options
    To your water question, to be honest I have no idea. I STILL get up to go every night, once or twice, and I am constantly in need of a bathroom! I find if I drink a little bit often throughout the day it's not as bad as a huge bottle of water in one shot. That and if I drink water and eat, let's say, my lunch or my dinner with it it's not as bad. It's almost as if the food doesn't let it go straight to my bladder? I have no idea, but I try to go with that.

I hope that someone is able to provide you the answer you're looking for.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I find when all of our jobs are on floor 5 of a walk up, I can drink tons of fluid and not have to pee. Not an active night? Bladder decides to step up activity lol. My dr said that at some point my body should adjust to so much and I won't need to remain chained to a toilet lol. Just wondering where others have seen that change, if at all (in which case my doctor is a horrible sadist lol).
  • carolineat111
    carolineat111 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I usually have to drink 10+ cups of water a day for about ten days for my body to adjust to it. If I hit the gym particularly hard, it's even easier. I still pee often (it's not the water, just my body) but it definitely improves as you keep at it. Also, in the summer when you're outside etc you'll be able to drink a lot more and not pee as often.
This discussion has been closed.