WHEN IS THE BEST TIME TO EXERCISE?

Options
Trying to figure out a exercise schedule?

Replies

• lfrazier2482
    lfrazier2482 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Personally I like to exercise first thing in the morning. Then I have it done for the day and I feel like I accomplished something before the rest of my day starts.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    the best time is whenever you are able to do it and keep it up consistently. i also primarily run in the early morning pre-work hours. but some people can't manage that, so go post work, or even lunchtime. whatever works for you and your work/life schedule.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    it is a decision that is entirely up to you.

i found that in the beginning, i needed to do it first thing in the morning, or else i wouldn't do it. so i would set up all my stuff to be ready in the morning. one cup of coffee and i'd be out the front door.

now, after a few years, i'm more inclined to do evening work outs.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    Seriously -it's whatever time you will do it and keep doing it.

When I worked it was right after work-if I went home first it didn't happen. Now that I'm "retired" I do the 8:15 classes at my gym and lift beforehand. If I don't go then, it doesn't happen.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    As other people have said: When YOU will do it consistently. For me, that's a morning thing.
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I am new to working in an exercise routine but so far i find that i like to do it when i have alone time. Most days that's in the afternoon before my youngest gets home from school.

Sometimes i try to do it after dinner but for that i have to shoo everyone away or tune them out and that's not easy. They are constantly at me for things because mom is queen and the kingdom couldn't possibly survive for any length of time without her, not even a few minutes... :)
  • Teal4me
    Teal4me Posts: 104
    Options
    Thank you always have wondered. Say you eat a big meal then no exercise or you had that meal at dinner .Yet already completed your exercise wont that food just turn to fat?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Whenever it's convenient for you.
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Whatever time is good for you that you will stick with!!
  • Winterlover123
    Winterlover123 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I love first thing in the morning or after a nap :P
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I go when I can. Straight from work a couple of nights in the week and early morning sundays. It's all about routine, no matter what time of the day it is as long as you can stick to it in the long run.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    Why would there be any sort of magical time of day to exercise?

Exercise when you can...the best time to exercise is whenever you can get 'er done and crush it.
  • zSandman
    zSandman Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Teal4me wrote: »
    Thank you always have wondered. Say you eat a big meal then no exercise or you had that meal at dinner .Yet already completed your exercise wont that food just turn to fat?

It doesn't work like that. Your body doesn't just expend calories as you exercise, it does so even if you were to sleep in bed for the whole day. As long as you are in a deficit based on your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE), you will lose fat steadily.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    TravelsWithHuckleberry Posts: 955 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Teal4me wrote: »

That's just not how it works. Your body uses what you eat to fuel everything it does, from deadlifting 300 lbs. to blinking your eyes, so just because you don't exercise after every meal doesn't mean those calories automatically turn to fat. You may want to do some reading about this topic from reputable sources. Here's one: Mayo Clinic on Metabolism and Weight Loss. And here's another: How Calories Work.

As for the best time for exercise, it's whatever works for you. I like the *idea* of morning workouts, but I'm just not a morning person. When I do have to fit in the gym in the AM, my workouts definitely suffer. I prefer afternoons or evenings, when I'm more awake and properly fueled.
  • Teal4me
    Teal4me Posts: 104
    Options
    Thank you all :) makes since