MFP + Fitbit + Treadmill ???

Options
I have begun running on a treadmill. Should I manually log the time and speed I run through MFP or just go with what is calculated from my Fitbit?

Replies

• brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    If you're running flat, I've found that the MFP/Fitbit calculations are pretty good. Fitbit knows how many steps per minute so knows your speed. It also knows your weight/age. I've been logging this way for 6 months and have found it to be pretty darn accurate.

Fitbit won't account for any incline though. I still use fitbit calcs, just know that I have a few extra calories burned that are a nice little buffer.
  • Kasuad
    Kasuad Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    brightsideofpink, I did not know that fitbit calculates your speed based on steps/min. I just started using a fitbit flex and was going in and manually entering that I ran at X time for X minutes. I didn't think it mattered, so just put down I did 3 miles in 45 minutes when I was actually doing 2 miles in 14 minutes and then walking another mile by 25min total.

I thought it was strange that when I manually entered my run with generic times that my calories went down and not up.

• Cielazul
    Cielazul Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I do both, because I can look back on MFP and see how many minutes I spent on the treadmill. If you allow for negative adjustments, MFP will account for the "double logging" of exercise.
  • eskow22
    eskow22 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    zillie77 wrote: »
    I do both, because I can look back on MFP and see how many minutes I spent on the treadmill. If you allow for negative adjustments, MFP will account for the "double logging" of exercise.

Good idea. It would be nice to have a record of actual running times.