Why do you want to be healthy?

Options
After a long 8 year battle I have finally being diagnosed as having EDNOS (Eating Disorder Not Otherwise Specified).

Please don't judge me.

The one real reason I opened up with my therapist about this is because of Uni. I'm studying to be a Nurse and can just see myself ruining my brain cells and ruining my education/future.

So, what are your reasons for wanting to be healthy? I'm going to make a list of (valid) responses and when going through rough patches will look at the list and try to force myself to eat no matter how much my brain is telling me not to.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    The real question is "why would anyone want to be unhealthy"? There really isn't a legit answer, yet we have more people with risk factors from being overweight/obese who fit the unhealthy profile.
    Everyone has great reasons to be healthy. Taking action to gaining success on those reasons is the problem.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • engagedprincess
    engagedprincess Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    The real question is "why would anyone want to be unhealthy"? There really isn't a legit answer, yet we have more people with risk factors from being overweight/obese who fit the unhealthy profile.
    Everyone has great reasons to be healthy. Taking action to gaining success on those reasons is the problem.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Because I don't really care anymore if I die or not...

• harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Keep studying to be a nurse and you will find many more reasons to be healthy. But, in order to promote health to others, you first have to be healthy, mentally and physically.

Continue to see your therapist and build coping skills that work for you, slowly but surely you will become healthier.

Some personal reasons for me wanting to be healthy; I am a nurse - so if I'm promoting good health to others, I shouldn't be a hypocrite. So, I quit smoking, started a regular exercise routine, and eat 80% healthy while still enjoying sweets and eating fast food.

Making your list is a great idea, set goals for yourself - if at first you don't accomplish them, try again and again.

Best of luck
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I don't think that MFP is the best place to be getting help for that part of your life, it does seem apparent though that seeing as you're here then you do at least want to improve your quality off life.. That to me shows that you maybe do care but need to find the right guidance!

I wish you the best.

As ninerbuff quite rightly says, why would anybody want to be unhealthy?
  • engagedprincess
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Because, having had two long periods of chronic illness - the first lasting 18 months, and the current one I'm starting to come out of after 11, both involving surgery and being bedridden for months - it's just massively better to be able to do stuff like walking, lifting, running, and cycling than being stuck in bed, watching the world go by.

So what is your advice for people who are stuck in bed watching the world go by, due to illness, which is nothing weight related?
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Because, having had two long periods of chronic illness - the first lasting 18 months, and the current one I'm starting to come out of after 11, both involving surgery and being bedridden for months - it's just massively better to be able to do stuff like walking, lifting, running, and cycling than being stuck in bed, watching the world go by.

So what is your advice for people who are stuck in bed watching the world go by, due to illness, which is nothing weight related?

Continue seeking psychiatric help. A psychiatrist/psychologist will be able to help you the most.

ETA: You are not stuck in bed. YOU are in control. YOU have to be the one to make the changes in order to better yourself and your mental health.
  • lizpitts
    lizpitts Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I think being healthy is the best way to enjoy life. I've enjoyed good health in spite of being overweight but now that I'm in my 60s the weight is taking a toll. Joint issues, lack of stamina, not being able to move like I want, not being able to do the things I want to do. I know that losing the weight will make a lot of things easier for me and I will enjoy life more.
    I hope you are still getting professional help for your eating disorder. You deserve to enjoy a healthy life. I imagine that you want to be a nurse to help others. Use some of that sympathy and helpfulness on yourself.
  • engagedprincess
    edited December 2014
    Options

Continue seeking psychiatric help. A psychiatrist/psychologist will be able to help you the most.

ETA: You are not stuck in bed. YOU are in control. YOU have to be the one to make the changes in order to better yourself and your mental health.

You don't know anything about my life, how dare you judge me.

For one, EDNOS is not the only mental health problem I have. Not to mention, who said I was speaking about mental health here in the first place?
    I have back problems which can get pretty debilitating at times...

Is there a reason you's can't just answer the question without judging or thinking you know everything about someone you know absolutely nothing about?
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

you don't care if you die, but you care if you sustain brain damage and can't do well in college? You realize you can't do B without A, right? Or are you just being dramatic?
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

For one, EDNOS is not the only mental health problem I have. Not to mention, who said I was speaking about mental health here in the first place?

Is there a reason you's can't just answer the question without judging or thinking you know everything about someone you know absolutely nothing about?

There was no judgment, only facts were stated. You ARE in control, that is not a judgmental statement. You might want to learn to be open to different types of feedback other than handholding and tear-wiping if you want to get far here on MFP, and in the adult world.

No hate or judgement on my end, just keeping it real with honest facts. Good luck with your goals.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I believe when she said she doesn't care if she lives or not, she was answering the question "why would anyone want to be unhealthy?"

Question: why would anyone want to be unhealthy? Answer: because she doesn't care if she lives anymore.

However, i see this thread quickly going in a terrible direction. So I'll just say good luck and head on out.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    edited December 2014
    Options

Judging you? No. I'm making a factual statement. You are in fact in control of your body- no one else.

If you are in therapy, you will quickly learn how nothing will change unless YOU make the changes. Your therapist cannot do it for you. You need to be the one who forces yourself out of bed.

It is very apparent that your EDNOS is not the only mental health problem you have. People who are mentally healthy do not make statements like "I don't want to live anymore." You are clearly suffering from depression too. Maybe anxiety.

This is coming from someone who struggles with severe anxiety and panic disorder. I can assure you that I was passing no judgement. Tough love goes a long way with mental health issues. Sugar-coating/hand holding will get you no where.

ETA: You want to be a nurse. Isn't that enough of a reason to want to be healthy? You cannot try to care for others if you cannot care for yourself.
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I want to be healthy for my family. So I can keep up with my kids. So I have the energy to drag the Christmas tree out of the attic and set it up with them. I have a social network, which means I have an obligation. It will never be OK for me to give up, even if it seems like there is no way to go forward.

That being said, fitness is it's own reward. The urge to give up is temporary, and if you have a mental illness, can be influenced by your brain chemistry. Just being active (and get Dr and/or pt and/or trainer support to work around your back issues), can help clear up the biochemical junk in your brain, and balance out your moods. If being active is impossible, try mindful meditation, or anything else just to clear your head for a bit.

If you can be active, the more intense you can go, the better. I find Yoga is a great way to get out of my own head. I'm so focused on deepening the pose, that I don't think all the negative thoughts that bog me down. You can also try something more dynamic, like interval training, or that engages the brain, like a dance class or karate, can also be a mini-vacation from stress. Just taking 20 minutes away from focusing on the negative can help ease cortisol levels, and make you feel much more relaxed, making room for the positive.

I've heard at least one person on MFP say that ketosis (from a low carb diet) helped balance her mood. I've gone into ketosis, and I've found my general mood to be better (although, under stress, I still get the urge to scream sometimes). I feel happy, I think, and that's something I had given up on. Up until starting the exercise and dieting, I had been doing the "fake it until you make it" as far as motivation to get out of bed went, and doing it badly.

You are going to be a nurse. Just think of all the good you will bring into the world in this meaningful profession. Keeping your eye on your goals, and thinking about how amazing your future will be, will help you to make it through.

Chronic illness is difficult. Stay strong. Keep trying. It will get better. It's good that you are connecting with a therapist to get the support you need. Investing in your health is a leap of faith for everyone. But you are worth this investment. All the best, :)
  • engagedprincess
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

you don't care if you die, but you care if you sustain brain damage and can't do well in college? You realize you can't do B without A, right? Or are you just being dramatic?

No I am not just being dramatic. If in an unfortunate twist of events I end up having to live, the only reasons I would want to is for my cat, my friends and my nursing. I'm trying to compile a list, I don't see how that is such a crime and people can't just answer my question without being so dramatic.
  • engagedprincess
    Options
    kyta32 wrote: »
    I want to be healthy for my family. So I can keep up with my kids. So I have the energy to drag the Christmas tree out of the attic and set it up with them. I have a social network, which means I have an obligation. It will never be OK for me to give up, even if it seems like there is no way to go forward.

That being said, fitness is it's own reward. The urge to give up is temporary, and if you have a mental illness, can be influenced by your brain chemistry. Just being active (and get Dr and/or pt and/or trainer support to work around your back issues), can help clear up the biochemical junk in your brain, and balance out your moods. If being active is impossible, try mindful meditation, or anything else just to clear your head for a bit.

If you can be active, the more intense you can go, the better. I find Yoga is a great way to get out of my own head. I'm so focused on deepening the pose, that I don't think all the negative thoughts that bog me down. You can also try something more dynamic, like interval training, or that engages the brain, like a dance class or karate, can also be a mini-vacation from stress. Just taking 20 minutes away from focusing on the negative can help ease cortisol levels, and make you feel much more relaxed, making room for the positive.

I've heard at least one person on MFP say that ketosis (from a low carb diet) helped balance her mood. I've gone into ketosis, and I've found my general mood to be better (although, under stress, I still get the urge to scream sometimes). I feel happy, I think, and that's something I had given up on. Up until starting the exercise and dieting, I had been doing the "fake it until you make it" as far as motivation to get out of bed went, and doing it badly.

You are going to be a nurse. Just think of all the good you will bring into the world in this meaningful profession. Keeping your eye on your goals, and thinking about how amazing your future will be, will help you to make it through.

Chronic illness is difficult. Stay strong. Keep trying. It will get better. It's good that you are connecting with a therapist to get the support you need. Investing in your health is a leap of faith for everyone. But you are worth this investment. All the best, :)

Thank you so much for your answer :) this was the sort of thing I am looking for. Having an ED is not the easiest thing in the world to just give up - especially considering I have had it for 8 years and use it to control my emotions, eating anything makes me anxious... however I will definitely give ketosis a go and add some of these reasons to my list.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

I don't really care if I die or not either, other than the loss it might cause a few people (and dogs!) close to me. But since there's a good chance I'm not going to get hit by a bus anytime soon, I would much rather be a mobile, healthy, independent old person than an old person who relies on others

I actually wrote out a longer and more thoughtful answer, but because you're trying so hard to look for confrontation and something to cry about, I won't post it. If you're as unhappy as you pretend to be, either get help or feel free to move on. You have the same choices we all have.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

No I am not just being dramatic. If in an unfortunate twist of events I end up having to live, the only reasons I would want to is for my cat, my friends and my nursing. I'm trying to compile a list, I don't see how that is such a crime and people can't just answer my question without being so dramatic.

Yes, you have to live it. But you CHOOSE how to deal with it. You can either let it control your life or you can take control of it and learn how to live with it. How you cope with EDNOS and mental illness is all your decision.

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I have a brain condition that forces me to be in bed for days at a time. Because some days I can't even walk. Or talk. Or swallow. Or take care of my kids. Or anything really.

So I want to be healthy (weight and fitness wise) because my body already has enough to deal with, without the extra weight. And I can't control my brain issues, but I can control what I eat and how I treat my body.

Best of luck to you.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I want to know what it feels like to be LIGHT!!

I've been obese my -entire- life...age 6 on up. I never had a doctor or my parents tell me it was abnormal. When I was younger it didn't seem to me like I ate any differently than the rest of my family, so I just thought something was wrong with me. The only people that said anything about my weight were the ones bullying me, and I really did spend my entire life thinking that I couldn't change it. It was a pretty tormenting childhood..

It's sad looking at pictures from when I was younger, because in most family portraits I just look miserable...

lc6c721erpa3.jpg

Even in young adulthood the things some people said or did were just beyond cruel. And the fact that a lot of times it was a group effort (especially in the workplace, at church and at karate class) really sucked.

ot5glfv482y4.jpg

It wasn't until 2009 I started googling "comebacks" and ways to handle emotional abuse and bullying in the workplace that I came across some threads on this website about morbidly obese people losing weight. And by that time I was 24 and over 400 lbs... and I was totally shocked to see people my size losing weight. I never watched tv so I wasn't really exposed to things like biggest loser or makeovers, and I didn't have any obese relatives in my life losing weight as an example. So seeing people do this was AMAZING to me...

I used this site for 5 years just for emotional support and to aid in re-wiring my brain about how I approached food, fitness, and people who bully me. Even though I was maintaining 410 lbs, my confidence and self esteem seriously boosted in a crazy way over those 5 years. And then in January the calorie counting started, and I am now down almost 90 lbs :)

But yeah... TL;DR: I want to be lighter as I've never experienced it before. I want to minimize the risks of sickness and injury. I want to do things I'm not allowed to do at my weight like sky dive and go on one of those treetop ziplining adventures. I want my next 23 hour flight to Japan to be more comfortable than my first because I won't be spilling over my arm rests. I want back muscles, not back boobs. And generally I just want to be the best version of myself that I am meant to be.

68456049.png
  • engagedprincess
    edited December 2014
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »

I don't really care if I die or not either, other than the loss it might cause a few people (and dogs!) close to me. But since there's a good chance I'm not going to get hit by a bus anytime soon, I would much rather be a mobile, healthy, independent old person than an old person who relies on others

I actually wrote out a longer and more thoughtful answer, but because you're trying so hard to look for confrontation and something to cry about, I won't post it. If you're as unhappy as you pretend to be, either get help or feel free to move on. You have the same choices we all have.
    xmichaelyx wrote: »

... I'm not looking for confrontation I'm looking for answers as to why someone wants to be healthy...
    btw, nothing I am saying is pretend. I have clinical depression, anxiety, PTSD and Borderline Personality Disorder. But i'm trying to get help, hold on and recover. I'm so sorry your life is amazing so much so that you feel the need to judge others. I don't go to a therapist or take meds for nothing...