sugar!!!!

Options
Help! everything seems to have sugar in it! what can I eat that has no sugar? is it just meat? :(

Replies

• fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Medical issue?
  • alimapp
    Options
    no medical issues. I am just trying to keep inside my daily sugar "allowance" and every time I seem to put a food in against each meal it always appears to have sugar in it!
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    Why are you avoiding sugar? There's nothing wrong with sugar, and many very healthful and nutrient dense foods contain it (Like veggies and fruits).
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    alimapp wrote: »
    no medical issues. I am just trying to keep inside my daily sugar "allowance" and every time I seem to put a food in against each meal it always appears to have sugar in it!

Honestly, if you're eating plenty of veggies and fruit, you will very likely go over your sugar allowance daily. Do yourself a favor and stop tracking the sugar in your diary--You can change what you track in your diary settings. I prefer to track fiber, as I find it much more important than tracking sugar.

After all, keep this in mind: MFP measures ALL sugars in food, and pretty much any food that contains some amount of carbohydrates is going to contain sugars. You'll drive yourself nuts with that!
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Sugar is not the devil (it has saved my life numerous times). Sugar is only bad when you are eating so much that you are eating above your maintenance calories.

Personally, I have medical issues that require me to keep a close eye on my net carbohydrates. I have it set in my diary to track fiber and sugar. Some sugar-containing foods are incredibly nutritious, while others are pure junk (think of an apple versus a cupcake, when the apple is packed with fiber and other nutrients). It will not help to cut out sugar completely, as you will be also excluding yourself from some nutritious foods that have sugar.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Help! everything seems to have sugar in it! what can I eat that has no sugar? is it just meat? :(

Yes, an all meat diet is a fabulous idea.

But there are other things without sugar. Olives are a possibility.

Why do you want to exclude all sugar, though?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I have T2 diabetes and have been told by my doctor that there is no reason to watch sugars. I need to watch total carbs (not net carbs) and keep them under a specific target she recommended for me.
  • JoKnowsJo
    JoKnowsJo Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    1st please review the "fed up" thread moderation its all moderation. I try to limit sugar myself but your body doesn't care its a carb once you get your fats carbs and proteins in balance it all comes together. Took me forever to get there - still working on it to lose 40lbs. I want to get a balance with exercising enough, to lose while taking in the right amount of calories to lose the weight. I have noticed I crave protein and fats more than carbs now that I watch what I eat just do your best you will get there, and that's what we are all here for.
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    Sugar listed on a food label includes both naturally occurring sugar (like in milk and fruit) and added sugar (like in cookies and candies). Look at the list of ingredients, which are listed in descending order by weight. The first 2-3 ingredients are present in the largest amount by weight, and you can scan down the list to see if there are any added sugars. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options

alimappo is it not easy for sure I am learning. Sugar became toxic to my body causing joint pain that was over the top.

As others noted you have to learn all of names of all of the sugars to read them on the label. A lot of meat today as sugar added. Ham is often cured covered with sugar.

I have found by cutting ALL sugar as well of most carbs in general now when I do get some sugar/carbs more by accident they do not fire up my pain levels like before. I do drink a gallon of water a day which helps joint pain at least in my case.

GlucernaBrand's remarks are on target to help people like you and me.