2»

Replies

• sea_food_man
    Options
    should be eating lower carbs and higher fat.......but thats just my opinion
  • ElizabethMaryam
    ElizabethMaryam Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I take prednisone as part of my anti rejection regimen, I will have to take it the rest of my life, and as you know while you were on it, it makes you gain weight, so I have to do something drastic, or I will not lose any. I guess it is a gamble I have to take, because with 1200 calories a day, I dont lose anything. I am eating a healthy diet, with fruit and vegetables, I only drink water so no calories from sodas or anything. I dont know what to do, but somehow I have to get it off, as it is affecting my breathing.

My dad takes the same med and others since having a heart transplant in 1994. Ask your dr to refer you to a dietician and an exercise program. I know in our area, they have specialized programs for people with serious health issues and it is free for the person. Hopefully there would be something similar in your area. I know for my dad, increasing his activity was very helpful and please know it wasn't anything major ... it was just monitored walking with nurses, etc. in a controlled environment. He's also diabetic, so he couldn't restrict his food intake (even if he wanted to) and he lost some weight. If you want to send me a friend request, I'll try to encourage you to lose your weight healthily :). Take care :)
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options

The 900 Calories mark has already been talked about: and I feel that's not enough food, as others have said.

Besides that, your doctor NEEDS to be involved in your weight loss plans. By just saying "I don't care how" he pushes it off of himself. Let him know you're only eating 900 calories a day! Get him involved, or have him refer you to a doctor to help you with your diet plans!

I would recommend you contact your doctor and have you meet with a nutritionist. This is more than just eating 1200 calories. My only recommendation would be to get rid of that AM carb load. Replace the cereal with fruit and yogurt or eggs. The increased protein might help. Honestly though, I can't emphasize this enough. You need a medically supervised nutrition program. In addition to your physical limitations, the medication you are taking may be making losing weight a challenge. If your doctor won't refer your to one, call your insurance company and get the names of 2 or 3 to choose from.
    As for exercise is there a pool nearby where you could go walking? Water in the pool is great because the water makes your body feel 1/3 it's weight but your muscles still get all the benefits. If that's not an option, google the chair exercises.

I wish you well.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    should be eating lower carbs and higher fat.......but thats just my opinion

If the OP has no issues with the carbs she is eating, she doesn't need to lower them.

I would maybe work with a dietician to figure out an enjoyable meal plan and how much to eat.
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I eat 1240 calories a day and never worry about low fat, low cal foods... I eat whatever I want in moderation and I am much more satisfied! For me, this is sustainable where nothing else is!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    First off, good luck with the transplant. That's a tough row to hoe. I am a little mad at your doctor for not caring how you lose, though, as 900 calories isn't sustainable for the rest of your life. Hopefully, as you can be more active, you'll be able to eat more. Although, maybe the fact of your major illness means your BMR is lower. Just make sure the docs know what you're doing.

Anyway, to make a few suggestions: skim cottage or ricotta cheese with fruit and a sprinkle of cinnamon or nutmeg. (Flavor for no calories) for breakfast. Low sodium soup for lunch (Progresso makes a couple of good ones.) 90/10 ground beef in spaghetti, chili, or tacos for dinner. Use soft corn tortillas for the tacos, it's frying them that adds calories. Add veggies to the spaghetti sauce and use less pasta.
    And remember that even if you don't lose the whole 15, every pound counts.
  • kristimason3
    kristimason3 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have an open diary and you are welcome to check it out. I have a few recipes logged as well. I'll tell you some of my favorite substitutions. I love cereal as well. If you like special k they also have a strawberry with chocolate one that's really good. I switch up cereal for oatmeal once in a while. Quaker weight control, or sugar free options. Try simply smart fat free milk, tastes way more like whole milk than just buying skim. Or unsweetened vanilla almond milk (I don't like the taste alone but in a bowl of cereal its good and has even less calories than skim milk) I love laughing cow cheese wedges. 35 calories and you can use them in alot of different ways (in eggs, in chicken, on toast etc). Yogurt, Greek or Yoplait light is my go to. Turkey bacon in place of regular, ground turkey in place of lean beef. Egg white omelets with lots of veggies and salsa and again laughing cow cheese. Snack factory pretzel crisps are a good substitute for chips. They have all different flavors. The more veggies you use in your meals the better. PB2 is my ultimate fave for sweet snacks. The chocolate kind is awesome. Slice up an apple and dip it. Good luck!
  • melaniedelane
    melaniedelane Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much to you all, for your suggestions, my transplant team does have a dietician, I will get in touch with her and see what she thinks and how I can get the weight off safely. And I will find a better option for breakfast, skim cottage cheese and fruit sounds good. <3
  • vegwrangler
    vegwrangler Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I can see why you're bored with your current foods! Low fat is not something I really think is very effective for me, but I get most of my fats from raw nuts and such that I add into already low fat recipes that I'll share with you here. I, personally, would be more starving after eating your breakfast than had I skipped it altogether. Healthy fats are incredibly important in weight loss, all of the added sweeteners in cereal and fake lowfat milk is known to be more harm than good in most people.

Here are some ideas...

Breakfast
    Currently: Cereal/low fat milk
    Ideas...
    - Yogurt with granola and/or chia seeds sprinkled on it
    - Clif bar or some other whole-grain meal bar
    - Avocado on toast (http://huff.to/1j9SFWc)
    - Chia pudding (http://bit.ly/1w3XJUb)

Lunch
    Currently: Deli meat and fruit
    Ideas...
    - Bean Soup with Ezekiel bread (this week's lunches: http://bit.ly/1ImYZZ5)
    - Lentil and rice soup with toast (http://bit.ly/1saoQsX)
    - If you're not a fan of cooking, Amy's line of soups have plenty of no/low fat options.
    - Salads in a Jar (http://bit.ly/1zDm03X) I love adding seasoned quinoa to salads to add some protein into the mix.

Dinner
    Currently: Chicken/Salad/Veg
    Ideas...
    - Shephard's Pie in the crock pot (I use lentils, but lean ground turkey would work well - http://bit.ly/1CX0XPC) I tend to add cabbage/kale/carrots/peas to mine as well to oomph the nutritional profile.
    - Stuffed Sweet Potato (http://bit.ly/1bbW2Gy)
  • hazmat1212
    hazmat1212 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    for a treat, ask your dietician if the FF/SF Hunts pudding is OK for you, healthwise.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Keep trying it can be done. I eat around the 1200 to 1300 started 10 weeks ago and lost 45 pounds...and feeling great. My diary is open for idea's too.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much to you all, for your suggestions, my transplant team does have a dietician, I will get in touch with her and see what she thinks and how I can get the weight off safely. And I will find a better option for breakfast, skim cottage cheese and fruit sounds good. <3

That's a really good idea. I wish you the best of luck.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

I second that
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Prednisone is RIDICULOUS. I have to go on rounds every so often to keep my SLE in check if I'm flaring up. I balloon up like an Orca. Infinity-plus for checking in with the team's dietician, and kick your doctor in the shins for me for not getting you on the right path. First rule is "Do no harm", doc.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

absolutely perfect response

Good luck with it all