How many calories in whale blubber?

Options
MsOpus
MsOpus Posts: 99 Member
Would love some Canadian friends or cold climate friends. I have a hard time getting motivated in -30C. All I really want to do is huddle under a big blanket with hot chocolate and Baileys.

Replies

• twinkles2121
    twinkles2121 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    lmao, I was going to say, I hear ya, it was -30C all last week, then I realized you're not far from me. It's hard, my motivation took a dive when it got sub-arctic. I hate being on the elliptical inside *pout* :(
  • Larzp
    Larzp Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Not Canadian, but it is cold here in Minnesota. We hang out with folks from Kenora, ON. Sent you a friend request.
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    lol.... I dunno how many, but i'm pretty sure not enough to keep ya warm!! rumour has it shivering burns cals if that helps... ya.. didn't think so! Bitter cold hasn't hit here in ON YET... but it will so you have my total sympathy right now!! And.. i'm with twinkles up there.. in the summer I walked by the lake every single day for an hour each morning, but 15 minuts on a treadmill and I'm bored outta my gourd.. hang in there!! :D
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    244 calories an ounce? Whale blubber is a sometimes food :(
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    Note that this is for the "edible portion" only.
    I have now seen everything... Drops microphone.... Thud.
    bm5wtc4kygcq.jpg
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You can eat whale blubber? How do you prepare it?

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    244 calories an ounce? Whale blubber is a sometimes food :(

:laugh:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Wow, I am so pathetic. I would never survive in your climate, OP. I live in Southern California B) , and while it's relatively warm here, the last few days we've had rain, there were clouds in the sky, and it got down into the 60's. All I've wanted to do is huddle under a blanket and hibernate, too. Geez, I'm such a wimp. :(
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    Wow, I am so pathetic. I would never survive in your climate, OP. I live in Southern California B) , and while it's relatively warm here, the last few days we've had rain, there were clouds in the sky, and it got down into the 60's. All I've wanted to do is huddle under a blanket and hibernate, too. Geez, I'm such a wimp. :(

I'm right there with you. Southern Georgia here so it gets a little colder than that, but I'm a big baby if it drops below the mid-60s. That's why I moved here, after all.
  • MsOpus
    MsOpus Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Store in brine, dry-salted, hung in the wind to dry for several weeks or eaten raw.

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »

I'm right there with you. Southern Georgia here so it gets a little colder than that, but I'm a big baby if it drops below the mid-60s. That's why I moved here, after all.

Heck I moved to SoCal from Minnesota, and Maine before that, and it only took me about a year before I started crying whenever it gets down into the 60's. I remember putting on shorts and a t-shirt every spring when it got UP into the 60's lol!!

• peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    So, if a whale is about 30% blubber...

(using blue whale stats)

Blue whale - 190,000kg = 418,000lbs
    1lb = 16oz

418,000lb * 16oz/lb = 6,688,000oz

6688000 * 0.30 = 2,006,400oz of blubber

2,006,400oz * 244cal/oz = 489,561,600 calories of blubber per blue whale.

All dem gainz, bro!

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

They would eat it raw up North, but I don't think they eat so much whale blubber as seal blubber.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    MsOpus wrote: »
    Would love some Canadian friends or cold climate friends. I have a hard time getting motivated in -30C. All I really want to do is huddle under a big blanket with hot chocolate and Baileys.

I've spent weeks out in -40 weather in a tent for winter exercises so -30 seems almost tropical. ;)
  • mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    i dare not find out what whale blubber tastes like.

i'm in southern manitoba, hi there! we've been pretty cold too. i'm so unmotivated.
  • ViolaLeeBlueberry
    ViolaLeeBlueberry Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    LMAO! I dunno, but at the end of most winters, I look like whale blubber.

Can definitely relate to the "non-motivation in winter" factor! I'm very far from Canada; I'd see Mt Everest from my roof, except it actually hides behind the other mountains. But around here, there's no central heating (like in the whole country ... what's a furnace?!?), so winters equal sitting under the quilt by the lovely orange glow of a propane space heater and saying "is it time for bed yet?" At least we get high-altitude sun. Around here, you go outside in winter to warm up. Doesn't work so well on cloudy days (meaning "January") or after sundown :smile:

Don't have whale blubber on my menu, but do have fried goat's blood. Very yummy.
  • mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    fried goats blood? that's new to me! not sure i'd want to try it. but good for you for being open minded :)
  • ViolaLeeBlueberry
    ViolaLeeBlueberry Posts: 182 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Mykalis, fried goat's blood is a lot like what's used in blood sausage, black pudding or kishka in the West. It's just goat rather than pork blood, and minus the barley or oatmeal (although that can be included too). Funny thing is I grew up with kishka and my son really hated it, but fried goat's blood? Same thing, but way more coolness points. So he loves it too :smile:

Also incredibly low cal (and of course high iron), FWIW!